How strong do you think this Eletric fence is

Help Support CattleToday:

So I guess we all just set back and wait until the dogs attack a cow and calf and then we know it's mean and we can shoot it. Marksmu,I think as a newby you are getting started on the wrong foot here,attacking one of the members that has contributed a lot of usefull info to this sight.
As for your dogs you don't have a clue what they do when they are away from you.
You can treat your dog like you want to even tuck it in bed and kiss it goodnight,but no mater what you do with it it is STILL A DOG.
And as far as your threats I don't think you scared to many people on CT.I kinda thought they were funny.

Like BHB I'll take Granny as a neighbor anytime.

Cal

i see both points here. On the reverse side how would you like it if one of your cows busted the fence and got onto your neighbor's property and they saw it and figured it could do some harm and just shot just for the heck of it without it doing anything wrong. I am not against shooting dogs on my property if they deserve it but i dont just shoot them just for the heck of it. Dogs will be dogs they love to run around no matter how much land they have to run on they always have to have more.

I don't think you shoot anything the first time. And not the second time either. You exhaust lesser remedies before using any force towards any domestic animal as you would hope someone would exhaust non-violent remedies if one of your own animals got out. jmho. Jim

Many years ago we lived on a small farm in area that was rapidly being developed. We had been having problems with neighbors dogs killing our chickens. One morning two dogs came across the pasture near our house. My husband went out on the front porch with his 22, and yelled at the dogs. They took off. He fired a shot over the top of the dogs. One jumped and they really skedaddled. A couple of days later I saw a neighbor (who lived half mile down the road) at the grocery store. She told me that the strangest thing happened to one of their dogs. It came home without it's tail. She couldn't figure out what happened to it.
Apparently my husband shot it's tail off. When I told him about it, he said that he guessed that his sight was off.

The dogs never bothered our critters again.

If people really care about their pets, their "members of the family",...they will train them to stay home. My dog ran loose on my property. MY PROPERTY. We run a lot of acres and she stayed within 100 yards or so of the house, she was trained that way. If you can't keep your dog on your property, its YOUR fault when something happens. Take care of your animals if you really care about them.

Calman,

I did not intend to attack anyone personally, nor was I threatening anyone individually - I was merely pointing out the lengths that I would go to protect/avenge my dog. I love and treat my dogs as family...when it comes down to it, to me they are a part of my family.

I also treat my cattle as well as I know how to. If some animal were threatening or attacking them, I would take care of the situation, even if that meant having to shoot it.

I simply hoped that people would have more common sense than to shoot a dog just for being on their property. You cannot paint every animal with a broad brush. Many dogs will chase a cow/calf many others wont. All it takes is common sense and a few seconds of observation to determine what type of dog you have on your property.

Any good neighbor who was bothered by another neighbors dogs would attempt to talk to that neighbor before shooting...its common sense, its the right thing to do, and its the neighborly thing to do.

People who shoot everything because it COULD do something harmful to their cattle lack common sense. That was my point. Every situation is different, and every situation should be treated with common sense. And, FWIW, legally speaking, the dog is a trespasser...the owner of the dog is responsible for the cost of any damage...consequently if you shoot the dog, even though it is trespassing you would be responsible for the cost of the dog (less of course any damage it had caused)

A dog is viewed as property, and it is still illegal to destroy someone else property without permission. Criminally speaking you are in no trouble, as you are well within your rights...civilly however you have destroyed property of another without permission and are liable for the damages.

Alot of discussion about dogs...ours are protective of their farm. The cows take care of the coyotes, had one run one a few years back and the heifers thought that it was great fun and joined in now a coyote is fair game to the herd. We watch then come down and run the fence line but won't cross the pasture.
At time we have had to apply the "Four-S" method of pest control, you do what you need to inorder to keep your investiment safe.
Dave Mc

Dixieangus":241mzks8 said:
That is true and i was going to talk to them and i may get a donkey for safety but to top it off the dogs are pits

some donkeys like to "play" with calves.

marksmu":1yi00g6o said:
someone shot them, I would be beyond mad & upset...that person would rue the day they ever touched, or caused something to touch my dogs.

that's the importance of the 3rd "S" in "SSS".

Latest posts