How Old can a Bull get r done?

Help Support CattleToday:

Every bull is different, but, I bought one from a breeder with v-8 bloodlines at 7 to 8yrs old.He had him since weaning. I used him 3 yrs an sold him back to the breeder, who kept another 2 yrs. No problems with him. One of the best dollar purchases I have made. Only cost me $200 for my use of him. The breeder sold him because some younger bulls were getting a little rough on him. He may have been an exception, but a lot would depend on how many cows the bull would be servicing, and how well he had been taken care of.

When I was about 14 years old, I thought my great grandad and granny were old. They had an open door policy. If you knocked on their front door, they knew you were a stranger. So, about midnight as myself and a buddy were walking home from a coon hunt, we noticed the glow of the television through the windows. We decided to stop in and show off our evening haul of coon and possum. Grandad we knew would be proud, and we also knew granny would offer to have one cooked up for breakfast.
I never allowed myself to ever again use the open door policy after that night.
I'll never take for granted how old a bull can still get-er-done. Me and buddy was lookin for some eye bleach. At that age, I had no idea that recliners could be used that way. Wish he was still around to thank him for the tip :tiphat:

hahaha

I've had many 8 year old bulls, The one we have now is 7, and next year we're going to trade him for an 8 year old Simmi who's doing well. If they're healthy, they're good.. I don't think there's much more to it than that... A cow is the same.. I have 4 of them at 10 years old and one at 17... though the old one is on her last year with bad arthritis in a hip, she still breeds back and makes amazing calves.

Eleven calf crops is the most that I ever got out of one. Seven was my second longest.

The question was "How Old can a Bull get r done?" and now I notice the operative word was "effectively". Well, I reckon there is a difference in performance and deliverance, so disregard my last post. For some odd, and obviously demented reason, I had recall that was inappropriate for this discussion. Please forgive me, and carry on.
I cannot add to the discussion on bulls because I trade mine out every couple years. But on cows, I have a couple that are pushing 18 to 20 years. I don't know for sure because I bought them out of what was part of my grandads herd, and only have hearsay from other family and neighbor friends to go by. I reckon when I walked in on them after the coon hunt would have been a good time to get all the particulars

Brahman bulls are typically late bloomers, but they last a long time, easily go to 10+ One of the herds I manage use a Brahman bull that is now 9 years old and still sound as a pound.

The oldest Hereford bull I knew of was slaughtered last year and he was a 1997 model, still has calved born on 2012.

Latest posts