How much tractor horsepower do I need?

Help Support CattleToday:

reece1962

Reaction score
I need a tractor but am a little confused on how much horepower I need. I have 25 acres and will need to do some bush hogging, move around some round hay bales on a 3pt hitch spear, and eventually cut my own hay. How much HP is needed to run a haybine or cycle mower etc.

I spent my youth as cheap labor on my relatives farms, but being a smartass kid I didnt really pay attention. Now 30 years later I buy a farm and realize I shoulda listened.

A lot depends on the terrain and the actual equipment you will get. But 75 pto hp would be my absolute minimum

My grandpa did it with four (two teams) on more acerage than that.

these days it would take at least 250 do do it with style. after all, the power steering and the air conditioner and the teevee and the gps and everything else in the climate controlled cab consume a lot of power. but the six wheel drive will insure that you can go anywhere anytime.

I am in the gently rolling hills of central Kentucky. Property is not flat but not too rugged either, some flat some hillside. I cant afford and dont need new, I'm talking old, simple, and reliable.

For a square baler a smaller (lower hp) tractor would work. For round bales you have to remember that the brakes and weight of the tractor are more important on ANY hill.
A square baler puts a lot of wear and tear on a tractor simply because of the motion/rocking it does.

pdfangus":1vnwwezz said:
My grandpa did it with four (two teams) on more acerage than that.

these days it would take at least 250 do do it with style. after all, the power steering and the air conditioner and the teevee and the gps and everything else in the climate controlled cab consume a lot of power. but the six wheel drive will insure that you can go anywhere anytime.

This is pretty right . Years ago I used to talk to guys doing their paddocks in CA TX and Oregon on the 27Meg CB. Still listen out but not much to hear nowadays . Suppose they have the barbques hung on the back now and a fridge for the beer tucked away in the cabin.

Hav´nt done any hay making with a baler but the bush hogging thing I find can be done with a 6ft slasher out of a 65 HP tractor quite well. Forks/Spear would run off that too .

A John Deere 4020 wouldn't be too hateful. Although,if you are going to use this tractor to deliver your cattle's feed,I would look for something 4wd.(That boys,is the voice of experience!)

BC

I have a 65 horse 4x4 with loader and cab. I work 85 acres with this tractor. It is a heavy tractor for the horsepower. It pulls a round baler fine, 15 ft batwing, anything within reason. It handles round rolls with ease. It is not necessarilly how much horsepower, but how much can be put to the earth. Weight means a lot.

reece1962":1utwds5m said:
I need a tractor but am a little confused on how much horepower I need. I have 25 acres and will need to do some bush hogging, move around some round hay bales on a 3pt hitch spear, and eventually cut my own hay. How much HP is needed to run a haybine or cycle mower etc.

I spent my youth as cheap labor on my relatives farms, but being a smartass kid I didnt really pay attention. Now 30 years later I buy a farm and realize I shoulda listened.
on 25 acres you would be better off just buying a tractor that will brushog and move hay (50-60hp)and forget about baling any hay because no more hay than you will put up you couldn't justify the cost of the equipment over buying the hay

Angus Cowman":26tyjvfz said:
reece1962":26tyjvfz said:

on 25 acres you would be better off just buying a tractor that will brushog and move hay (50-60hp)and forget about baling any hay because no more hay than you will put up you couldn't justify the cost of the equipment over buying the hay
The bad part about buying hay is not only are you importing nutrients, a good thing, but you're importing weeds that may end up costing you more in the long run to get rid of. 2 years ago I bought a load of hay, msot of it was pretty nice alfalfa fescue mix, mostly fescue. I just finished feeding the last of it and the last half dozen bales were 90% broom sedge with the 10% being alfalfa and weeds. It's been too dry to burn the broom sedge so I will be fighting that for the next 5 years, maybe longer if I live longer.

Thanks for the advice. I'm now thinkin of just hiring someone to cut an bail the hay. Or would buying used haying equipment payoff in the long run?

dun":ea89anzc said:
Angus Cowman":ea89anzc said:
reece1962":ea89anzc said:

The bad part about buying hay is not only are you importing nutrients, a good thing, but you're importing weeds that may end up costing you more in the long run to get rid of. 2 years ago I bought a load of hay, msot of it was pretty nice alfalfa fescue mix, mostly fescue. I just finished feeding the last of it and the last half dozen bales were 90% broom sedge with the 10% being alfalfa and weeds. It's been too dry to burn the broom sedge so I will be fighting that for the next 5 years, maybe longer if I live longer.
That is another reason to buy hay from someone who is reputable and you know how they operate and build a good working relationship with the supplier than buying just any Tom,DIck or Harry who has hay for sale for the lowest price
everyone has some degree of weeds in their hay but the guys who are really in it for the long term try and take precautions against them being excessive

Angus Cowman":27sbg2i2 said:
That is another reason to buy hay from someone who is reputable and you know how they operate and build a good working relationship with the supplier than buying just any Tom,DIck or Harry who has hay for sale for the lowest price
everyone has some degree of weeds in their hay but the guys who are really in it for the long term try and take precautions against them being excessive
I agree, but when they guy is reputable and one of the bigger hay suppliers in southern MO you would expect to get what you pay for.

dun":1won9ipv said:
Angus Cowman":1won9ipv said:
I agree, but when they guy is reputable and one of the bigger hay suppliers in southern MO you would expect to get what you pay for.
Let me guess he is located near Rogersville

Angus Cowman":stf0ord6 said:
dun":stf0ord6 said:
Angus Cowman":stf0ord6 said:
Let me guess he is located near Rogersville
Could be! Hay I had gotten from him before was as advertised if maybe a bit better then expected.

Angus Cowman":qlfph5m9 said:
reece1962":qlfph5m9 said:

I agree, that would be a lot of expense for 25 acres.

I can tell you this, an L3400 Kubota will do a good job bush hogging with a 5' cutter, and it will pick up a round bale with a three point spear, but that is about it's limit. A Kubota like an M4700 would pick up a round bale with a loader, and run at least a 6' bush hog. You can find some deals on these used if you look. During the winter Kubota usually has zero percent financing on most models.

I guess I did it the cheap way. I use a JD 2510 pwr shft 50 hp. dsl. I had mower and rake. I did the mowing, then raked in front of my hired bailer. He would help me do my hay, and then we both would some custom work, both of us mow, I rake he bales. I baled about 80 ac. of my own.

Latest posts