How much Lutalyse??

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Last night my Gelbvieh bull rode the fence down and got in ith my mother's Dexter cow who hadjust come into heat. Not a good situation. Anyway I think he might have bred her. I have some Lutalyse. How many cc's do I need to give her to terminate a potential pregnancy? Also how long do I wait to give her the shot? I have Lut on hand for synching purposes but have never had to use it termination purposes.

Wait minimum of 7 days( 10 or 11 is better), 5cc dose, she should be back in heat within 96 hours and you can breed her on that heat.

5cc on day 9-14. Lut is about 85% effective on pregnancies under a hundred days so if you want to make sure, give her a second dose fourteen days after the first if you don't see her in heat after the first dose.

i luted with 5 cc last fall at weaning,i am waiting for the hefeir to calve now,she was in replacement pen,no bulls with her,so she musta just got bred and was too early for lute to abort her??

cowwrangler":121hsgri said:
i luted with 5 cc last fall at weaning,i am waiting for the hefeir to calve now,she was in replacement pen,no bulls with her,so she musta just got bred and was too early for lute to abort her??

Probably, that's why its recommended to wait the 10 days, but sometimes it's just a case of shite happens.

I had a heifer I kept for a replacement last year that was born mid July, the bulls came out 30 November, so she was 4 1/2 months old then. She was vaccinated with Bovishield twice, had a live Rift Valley Fever vaccine and was vaccinated with RB 51, all of which should have caused an abortion and yet she was bagging up in September when I was deciding on how to breed the heifers. The only possible bulls was the bullcalves her own age before they were weaned.

KNERSIE":upnc6xup said:
cowwrangler":upnc6xup said:

Probably, that's why its recommended to wait the 10 days, but sometimes it's just a case of shite happens.

I had a heifer I kept for a replacement last year that was born mid July, the bulls came out 30 November, so she was 4 1/2 months old then. She was vaccinated with Bovishield twice, had a live Rift Valley Fever vaccine and was vaccinated with RB 51, all of which should have caused an abortion and yet she was bagging up in September when I was deciding on how to breed the heifers. The only possible bulls was the bullcalves her own age before they were weaned.

I am afraid I have one of those right now........she gets weaned this week and a shot to go with it!

3waycross":l897sl2a said:
KNERSIE":l897sl2a said:
cowwrangler":l897sl2a said:

I am afraid I have one of those right now........she gets weaned this week and a shot to go with it!

We use the same protocol as Knersie and CP.

3way make sure you give her a shot of Dex with the prostaglandin too .

Thanks everybody. I will wait a couple of weeks and hit her with lute. I will be AI'ing her to a mini jersey in June.

wbvs58":3fjwo6ky said:
Dexamethasone is only usefull at the other end of the pregnancy, if trying to induce calving ie full term calving.
Ken
I would ask you to back that up by shooting up a few of your cows that are in early pregnancy with dex.

wbvs58":t0vck3iq said:
Dexamethasone is only usefull at the other end of the pregnancy, if trying to induce calving ie full term calving.
Ken

1-3 months bred prostaglandin
3-6 months bred 10 cc's dex and prostaglandin
6 months bred and up 10-12 cc's dex

Ask any LA vet .

Here's what The University of Missouri recommends:
Induction of Abortion in Feedlot Heifers
All females in a feedlot should be examined rectally for pregnancy, and abortion induced at that time.
Animal induced to abort should be in good health and well adjusted to the feedlot.
One should always remember, abortion will be stressful and combined with any other stress (diseases like shipping fever, pneumia, etc.) can cause extreme losses in gain efficiency or even death.
Growth promotants containing progesterone or analogues to progesterone may interfere with induction of abortion and should be withheld until after abortion occurs.
Procedure:
Heifers that are less than 150 days into gestation can be aborted with a single intramuscular injection of 25 mg Lutalyse or 500 mg Estrumate. Efficiency of 90%.
After 150 days of gestation, combination of 25 mg Dexamethazone and 500 mg Estrumate is needed to cause abortion. Efficiency of 95%.
Abortion will occur over 2 to 10 days.
All abortions should be recorded, and heifers which fail to abort re-examined.
Failure to induce abortion is most likely caused by failure of luteolysis. Re-treatment will usually cause abortion.
In the case of fetal mummification, Prostaglandin treatment will stimulate expulsion.
Cows over 4 months pregnant will have a high percent of retained placenta (80%). Most cases will resolve themselves, but the producer needs to monitor health of females after abortion.

TexasBred":3vs058la said:
All females in a feedlot should be examined rectally for pregnancy, and abortion induced at that time.
Animal induced to abort should be in good health and well adjusted to the feedlot.
One should always remember, abortion will be stressful and combined with any other stress (diseases like shipping fever, pneumia, etc.) can cause extreme losses in gain efficiency or even death.
Growth promotants containing progesterone or analogues to progesterone may interfere with induction of abortion and should be withheld until after abortion occurs.
Procedure:
Heifers that are less than 150 days into gestation can be aborted with a single intramuscular injection of 25 mg Lutalyse or 500 mg Estrumate. Efficiency of 90%.
After 150 days of gestation, combination of 25 mg Dexamethazone and 500 mg Estrumate is needed to cause abortion. Efficiency of 95%.
Failure to induce abortion is most likely caused by failure of luteolysis. Re-treatment will usually cause abortion.
In the case of fetal mummification, Prostaglandin treatment will stimulate expulsion.
Cows over 4 months pregnant will have a high percent of retained placenta (80%). Most cases will resolve themselves, but the producer needs to monitor health of females after abortion.

That chart is wrong TB as 1cc = 1g = 1ml (approx) 1000 milligrams = 1 gram either that or my math and metric conversions really suck . :lol2:

hillsdown":4mknd7ow said:
TexasBred":4mknd7ow said:
Procedure:

That chart is wrong TB as 1cc = 1g = 1ml (approx) 1000 milligrams = 1 gram either that or my math and metric conversions really suck . :lol2:

That's true for water but not Lutalyse. Lutalyse is provided at a concentration of 5 mg/ml. So, 5 ml = 25 mg.

That's why I hate when they give mg's instead of ml's as you need to find the concentration and then convert to cc's . It is a pain in the @ss . ;-)

wbvs58":2q5idkx5 said:
I rest my case, the literature presented backs my claim that Dexamethasone is not required in the situation that Hoss was asking about.
Ken

BUT that is NOT what you said in your original post.

Dexamethasone is only usefull at the other end of the pregnancy, if trying to induce calving ie full term calving.Ken

TexasBred":2pfz7kgh said:
wbvs58":2pfz7kgh said:
I rest my case, the literature presented backs my claim that Dexamethasone is not required in the situation that Hoss was asking about.
Ken

BUT that is NOT what you said in your original post.

Dexamethasone is only usefull at the other end of the pregnancy, if trying to induce calving ie full term calving.Ken

58 your case would have never made it to court as your post about Dex had no relevance to Hoss's original post . :p ;-)

My reference to Dex was to 3waycross to use it when he aborts his weanling heifers ,as I know his breed and they are more than capable of getting bred at 4 months of age. Sorry for the confusion. :tiphat:

Hillsdown, I apologise, I should have followed the conversation more closely. I thought you were answering Hoss, but on looking back I see that you had addressed 3way.
Ken

Latest posts