Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26 to 50 acres

• 51 to 100 acres

• 101 to 300 acres

• Total voters
Almost 400 acres in N/Central Mississippi...95% open pasture... good soil, could raise cotton or corn on half the place in the bottoms, but not a row cropper, just cattle.....

I practice rotational grazing and could carry a cow/calf per acre, but just to be on the safe side, try to keep the ratio one pair to 1 1/2 or 2 acres....winters are mild...do some hay..feed a bunch of commodities (cotton seed, gin trash, ect) for 3 1/2 to 4 months. Do a little ryegrass, but not much...

Had a dry summer, but that's rare...with some fertilizer, bihalia, dallas, bermuda grasses abound. Taxes are most reasonable $3 to $4 per acre, this is some of the relatively cheapest land in U.S. ... $1000-$1200 an acre.

At last, someone that figures by the entire year.

Around here with the weather it kind of skews it, snow covers up most of the grass if you have cornstalks which are not real common around here that would help. Dun how would you figure in acres per cow if you run on aftermath in the fall and feed some hay in the winter?

Beef11":iwxo5sdf said:
At last, someone that figures by the entire year.

Around here with the weather it kind of skews it, snow covers up most of the grass if you have cornstalks which are not real common around here that would help. Dun how would you figure in acres per cow if you run on aftermath in the fall and feed some hay in the winter?

That's the catch. You have to account for the land you would neeed to produce the hay or other forage. It get's into the match type of stuff that I'm no good at but you have to figure in the grazing days per acre. That may not be the right term. If you didn;t buy hay, how many pairs could be run all year on a given piece of ground.

dun

That's the catch. You have to account for the land you would neeed to produce the hay or other forage. It get's into the match type of stuff that I'm no good at but you have to figure in the grazing days per acre. That may not be the right term. If you didn;t buy hay, how many pairs could be run all year on a given piece of ground.

dun

maybe you could write me up an algorithim?

Beef11":3hqaetjf said:

dun

You should not call dun nasty words like that!

Just kidding had to look that one up way above my head :lol:

Beef11":1mjvevbe said:

dun

I said I'm no good at the math stuff.
We run about 1 pair per 7 acres. That includes hay gound that is grazed after cutting. In years with fairly typical rainfall and temps we have a little surplus hay to carry over and rent out a hay filed for grazing to the vet for his 3rd period cows. In the spring flush we could run 2-3 pair per acre. This fall with little rainfall we grazed a 15 acre hay field that was cut in April with 25 head (not pair) for 14 days. Another hay field we cut a month later that we just moved them to is also 15 acres and they'll have it cleaned up in probably 4-5 days. No rain after that one was cut and abnormally high temps.

dun

Beef11":19r9hsr9 said:
Just kidding had to look that one up way above my head

If you know what it means you are ahead of me.

Thanks to Webster.com I do now.

For those curious I will save some time looking it up. Ps. I am sure Crowder new it with out looking up but for the rest of us.

If I just knew how to pronounce it then I could use it to impress someone :lol:

algorithm

:a procedure for solving a mathematical problem (as of finding the greatest common divisor) in a finite number of steps that frequently involves repetition of an operation; broadly : a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem or accomplishing some end especially by a computer

aplusmnt":2jkiwrju said:
If you know what it means you are ahead of me.

Thanks to Webster.com I do now.

For those curious I will save some time looking it up. Ps. I am sure Crowder new it with out looking up but for the rest of us.

algorithim

:a procedure for solving a mathematical problem (as of finding the greatest common divisor) in a finite number of steps that frequently involves repetition of an operation; broadly : a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem or accomplishing some end especially by a computer[/quote]

Or in simpler terms that us common folk understand, a formula like E=MC squared.

dun

I voted the bottom choice but this is a tough one to answer for me. I have 200 acres but only about 20 is pasture. The rest is mountainous and the main crop is timber. Summer is good, I can easily go one head per acre but I have to get my hay elsewhere.

I've got 26 acres and change. 23 or better will be available to cattle (if I ever get my freakin facilities in shape... :mad: ) and that *should* support 10 pair without having it grazed to the rock..

I probably won't be able to afford to buy cattle once I'm done spending money on everything else, but that's another problem for another day... :lol:

Oh, and I'll obviously have to buy hay.. Spending $800-$1000/yr on hay doesn't sound like fun, but at that rate, it would take a long time of buying hay to get the land and equipment to do it myself.

D.R. Cattle":104x88wg said:
Personally only 150. At the workplace over 50,000. Perhaps some of our members have much more than the max in your poll of 300.

D.R. how many head do you guys run on the 50,000? Would love to hear a little bit about an operation that large, how it is divide, worked etc.

aplusmnt":1qeiq16b said:
D.R. Cattle":1qeiq16b said:
Personally only 150. At the workplace over 50,000. Perhaps some of our members have much more than the max in your poll of 300.

D.R. how many head do you guys run on the 50,000? Would love to hear a little bit about an operation that large, how it is divide, worked etc.

I'm just a puncher, but the outfit runs about 12,000 mommas in total. A lot of the ground is unimproved or reserved solely for the owner's quail hunting courses. It's quite a beautiful place. I can only imagine how it might have been 50 or more years ago before barbed wire, when the crackers just put their mark on a cow and turned her out. Some of the same philosophies still exist though. An old timer told me the other day how complicated things needed to be. Just put grass in front of her and a bull behind her. The rest will take care of itself.

D.R. Cattle":2jcxrc5c said:
[ same philosophies still exist though. An old timer told me the other day how complicated things needed to be. Just put grass in front of her and a bull behind her. The rest will take care of itself.

Mister D.R. Cattle theres more truth in them ther Ol timers words then in a heap O most the letters on here!!! I sit here and read me letter after letter were some pur guy or gal have got them selves all worked up over cattle raisen that it aint no wonder they cant make a dollar in the doing of it.

Folks ya got ta put some faith in your cattle an let em do what theys been a doen on their own long befur we came along!! It seems ta me that a hole heap O folks on here make raisen cattle harder then it is for no other reason then they just cant keep their hands ta them selves!!

folks around here don't tell how much land or how many cows they have. Others see it as bragging whether it is or not.

A funny story: years ago, dad had a dairy. The neighbor also had a dairy. He asked his son, a pilot to fly over our place and count dad's cows. 40 years later the son told me this story.....

Latest posts