how much hay per head

Help Support CattleToday:

docgraybull":1pdx37qt said:
Subsoil":1pdx37qt said:
These types of questions and the replys overlook the most important variable - what do the hay bales weigh......
After you get a weight, go by your extension office and borrow a hay probe and take them a sample back so they can send it off to be tested. After you know the weight and the nutrition content of bales, then you can decide how much is enough and whether you need supplement or not.

Anything less than this is guessing on everyones part.

rws,
I encourage you to undertake this labor intensive task of hauling bales loaded on your flatbed trailer, followed by rehauling your empty trailer back, doing the subtracting and averaging, bale sampling, consulting with your extension agent, do some further complicated calculations, PM Subsoil and set up some ongoing dialogue regarding bale weight, TDN, protein/nutrition content, feeding methods, wastage, etc., then finalize your calculatory outcomes, then post back to this thread regarding how close to 30 pounds per head per day you come out. I know that I am anxiously awaiting a report of your outcomes.

You're probably correct about the 30 pound per day per head being a good ball park and that covers the title of the post, but in the initial post, it says something about feeding 2 five foot round bales to so many cows. That's what I'm taking issue with. I agree 30 pounds per head is a good serving size of hay for most cows - the question is how many of those 30 pound servings are in your bale of hay. If you haven't weighed it, you don't know.

As far as the rest of the snide remarks, I don't know how labor intense it to do the things you and I mention. However, if a person thinks their hay has 10% protein and finds out it's only 5% protein before posting on here something like "my cows are eating 30 pounds of hay per day and still losing weight - what do I do?", I think that labor would save money. Who knows, the hay might be so good it only take 20 pounds per day and that would shave 33% off of the feed bill compared to your recomendation.

Like I said before - you need to watch the manure & body condition. That will tell you everything you need to know. "The eye of the Master".

I understand the body condition, but what about the manure?

I understand the body condition, but what about the manure?
The manure consistency will tell you the quality of your hay. If their manure was real loose, the hay has more protein than they need, and you might want to get some poorer quality to alternate with the high protein hay. If their manure was like horse "biscuits", you need to look at a way to provide more protein. Always just a judgement call on your part. These are tools to use as seen fit.

Latest posts