How much hay for winter ?

Help Support CattleToday:

MsAngusGal

Reaction score
Can you guys help me determine how much hay I should put back for winter ?

I am purchasing Tifton 44 Ber. square bales. I have 7 black angus cows that all should be calving this fall. I am located in North Mississippi. Our pastures are dormant from about Nov thru mid April.

Hay is scarce here and I wanted to make certain I was purchasing and putting up enough for this winter. I have to use square bales (long story).

Ms. Miss. Angus

How much do the cows and the bales weigh? Pretty much everthing is predicated on that

dun

To be safe I'ld look at around 3% of the cows weight per day during the hay feeding season. That may be a little high, but with the hay situation it doesn;t hurt ot have extra just in case. Also depends on the actual quality of the hay. We try to shoot for around 3 1/2%.

dun

I guess my climate and hay is similar here to yours. I figure on feeding hay for 150 days from November through March. My herd averages 130 head including newborns and old fat girls and everything in between. They eat two 1200 lb bales per day, or three 900 lb bales per day. That's about 20 lb. per head per day. Sometimes 150 days isn't enough.
gabby

gabby":xcp8xqgu said:
I guess my climate and hay is similar here to yours. I figure on feeding hay for 150 days from November through March. My herd averages 130 head including newborns and old fat girls and everything in between. They eat two 1200 lb bales per day, or three 900 lb bales per day. That's about 20 lb. per head per day. Sometimes 150 days isn't enough.
gabby

Do you have any stock piled forage to go with this?
Also do you feed any supplement with it?

I bought 440 sq. bales last January and used every one of them before grass started growing this year. I had sold down to 6 mamas with calves and my bull. The bales weighed about 40 or so pounds, but by the time I had them stacked they felt like 100 pounds!

The bales weighed about 40 or so pounds, but by the time I had them stacked they felt like 100 pounds!

i here that :lol:
Sam

Wow my cows are real pigs then :lol: .

They will each put away a 60lb square bale per day during winter up here.

Saltydawg":ty4ufewv said:
Wow my cows are real pigs then :lol: .

They will each put away a 60lb square bale per day during winter up here.

I hear you, but it gets much colder in your area and mine than it does in Mississippi.

KenB":11b5isir said:
gabby":11b5isir said:
gabby

Do you have any stock piled forage to go with this?
Also do you feed any supplement with it?

They graze a little on the dead grass but it doesn't amount to much. No supplement except minerals, unless the hay is poor and then I will give them 500 lb protein blocks.
gabby

this may be a little lengthy but it is a good way to estimate hay needs for the winter.

A quick easy way to estimate feed requirements is on the basis of animal units. This is done based on a mature cow or bull equal to one unit, yearlings equal to one-half unit, and calves equal to one-fourth unit. Utilizing this method, each animal unit will require approximately 25 pounds of average to good quality hay.
For a herd of 35 cows, one bull, and 8 replacement heifers with a winter feeding period of 120 days and (assuming 80% calving rate) 28 calves for 60 days, the following is an example calculation of stored feed requirements:

35 cows x 1 animal unit = 35 units
1 bull x 1 animal unit = 1 unit
8 replacement heifers x ½ unit = 4 units
Total for herd is 40 animal units.
40 animal units x 120 days x 25 pounds of hay per day = 144,000 pound of hay.
In addition if you have calves for say half of the feeding period.
28 x ¼ animal unit = 7
7 animal units x 60 days x 25 pound of hay per day = 10500 pounds of hay
For a total for the entire herd = 154,500 pounds or 77.25 tons.

When estimating hay supply for the winter don't guess at the weight of the bales. Take a few bales have them weighed to get an accurate estimate for bale weight. Keep in mind that this weight will vary from year to year or season to season, depending on the forage type and quality.
Also take into consideration that round bales of hay stored outside may sustain substantial losses during storage and feeding.
Utilizing animal units to estimate feed requirements is just that – a quick estimate. To be more accurate consideration must be given to exact nutritional requirements for the size of animal and stage of reproduction or growth. Feed supply can be more accurately estimated if you have a forage analysis done to determine the exact nutrient content of stored feeds as well.

Now don't make this too hard.
7 cows in one pasture.
I would say 2 bales a day at least. So 6 momths at 31 day per month is 6x31X2= 372
I would order at least 400 bales. If you have room get 500 you will use some in the summer also.

Be careful throwing those bales. I am recovering from a hernia operation that was required from moving only 40 bales. I guess I am not superman after all. Take your time....Dennis

Before we went to round bales, we fed a few thousand square bales per month each winter. It usually worked out so that we fed an average of 4 square bales of good quality, generally 60 lb bales per 9 mature cows. This would be about 13 square bales per month per cow. This wont be too far off if you are feeding full hay with no grass.