How much do you spend on Christmas gifts?

Help Support CattleToday:

maybe a couple hundred.. for all family. we make gifts and try to be pretty thrifty.

my daughter is almost 2 almost has enough for a cow.. she's about 300 shy. so I'm going to make up teh difference and buy her a heifer.. my son is 4 and already has a cow about to calf and almost enough money to buy another one.

i'll have to buy another farm for just their cows by the time they are 12.

farmguy":2kp7cigg said:
We have 9 kids, all married with children, so every year we take a cow and make the whole animal into hamburger. That hamburger is their Christmas gift. Always the perfect size, color and model. We are not too imaginative. Grand kids get additional gifts. farmguy
Add me to your list. I'll be the step child. :mrgreen:

Bigfoot":luhja5di said:
Part of why a truely hate Christmas. I checked out of the whole process many years ago.
Wow....even the angels celebrated the lst Christmas and gifts were brought to the new born King. Can't imagine anyone being such a sourpuss at Christmas time. We do several other things too, more along the spiritual line but I won't bother you with those either.

We give the kids & grandkids money. Don't exchange gifts between us. It's difficult to find the Christmas spirit when property taxes and a land payment are due 4 days before Christmas. I could adjust the land payment but why are property taxes due this time of year? Seems like such a bah-humbug sort of thing.

midTN_Brangusman":1hd19txi said:
Buy your wife something she will cherish, your not promised tomorrow much less next Christmas.

Couldnt agree more! My wife doesn't buy for herself or ask for anything all year long....so I always try to come through big with something good she will really enjoy and be surprised by. Last year, sent her on a hour long goose chase (treasure hunt) and at the end was an expense paid weekend down in Louisville and tix to see her favorite; Carrie Underwood. She was ecstatic and still talks about her weekend away.
This year, surprising her with a pair of Louboutins. Should be surprised and pleased.
Know your lady and surprise her, so much joy.

TexasBred":1krwu3ik said:
farmguy":1krwu3ik said:
We have 9 kids, all married with children, so every year we take a cow and make the whole animal into hamburger. That hamburger is their Christmas gift. Always the perfect size, color and model. We are not too imaginative. Grand kids get additional gifts. farmguy
Add me to your list. I'll be the step child. :mrgreen:

You know I celebrate the birth of Christ. I can't get in to anything other than that.

We used to go somewhat overboard but keep scaling back a bit every year. Last couple years have heard very few thank-yous from nieces and nephews for their gifts, so this year we are just mailing them each a check. Anyone that can't be bothered to let us know they got it (but cash it anyway) will get just a card next year. I love them but they need to learn manners. (2 are young but 3 are in their early 20s!). Our son was never allowed to play with a toy (or spend cash or gift card) until the giver was properly thanked.

Spouse and I usually say that our early trip is all we need. Bdays and Christmas we exchange a few useful items but don't go overboard. This year we and our son all needed phones, so we got them at T'giving and that'll be our main presents! They are $$ anymore!

bball":26wreg8n said:
midTN_Brangusman":26wreg8n said:
Buy your wife something she will cherish, your not promised tomorrow much less next Christmas.

Couldnt agree more! My wife doesn't buy for herself or ask for anything all year long....so I always try to come through big with something good she will really enjoy and be surprised by. Last year, sent her on a hour long goose chase (treasure hunt) and at the end was an expense paid weekend down in Louisville and tix to see her favorite; Carrie Underwood. She was ecstatic and still talks about her weekend away.
This year, surprising her with a pair of Louboutins. Should be surprised and pleased.
Know your lady and surprise her, so much joy.

You just won Best Husband award. :clap:

Craig Miller":1zb0pebv said:
Well at least two people here know what a Louboutin is

Your to middle class. I've bought my share of knock offs back in the day, my wife has never wore a pair, and my daughter wants two pairs.

True Grit Farms":1yhpkl65 said:
Craig Miller":1yhpkl65 said:

Your to middle class. I've bought my share of knock offs back in the day, my wife has never wore a pair, and my daughter wants two pairs.

Ok I looked them up. :shock: My wife would straight up slap me up side the head if I bought her a pair of those. Besides the cost it not her style.

Chocolate Cow":3l3wfv59 said:
We give the kids & grandkids money. Don't exchange gifts between us. It's difficult to find the Christmas spirit when property taxes and a land payment are due 4 days before Christmas. I could adjust the land payment but why are property taxes due this time of year? Seems like such a bah-humbug sort of thing.
C.Cow, I read your post to my husband cuz I'm kinda feeling like you. He reminded me that Christmas is an opportunity to share love & joy with others-it shouldn't be about $.
Jackson, (the original poster on this topic) you've got some great feedback- but if you think your wife's going to give you a gift, you better get her one.You can inquire with wife's mom or friends for a gift idea.Merry Christmas !

Craig Miller":2k2sowrc said:

I used to be in Banking - suits, Louboutin's, the whole 9 yards. And look at me now. Yikes! Discovered a rogue piece of hay on my pillow this morning that was evidently lodged in my hair. My Louboutin's are now sitting in the closet with dust on the box.

We don't buy for everyone.. my mom and her parents get a gift from all of us .. I take my boys and let them pick something for my wife.. she usually picks her own gift and puts my card info into amazon.. I try to buy my boys a gun every year .. this year I'm buying each a gun safe so I can clean mine out .. I grew up poor but well taken care of .. I don't mind giving my kids things I only dreamed of as a kid .. after all being a kid is the easy part . It's all down hill after 18 ..I'm tight with money unless it comes to my kids .. I was invited to go duck hunting this week but declined because I didn't want to pay 25 dollars for a duck stamp ..

Craig Miller":3t0jego4 said:
True Grit Farms":3t0jego4 said:
Craig Miller":3t0jego4 said:

Ok I looked them up. :shock: My wife would straight up slap me up side the head if I bought her a pair of those. Besides the cost it not her style.

Throw a Michael Kors at her and I'd bet she don't throw it back. At least mine didn't.

Craig Miller":3m9h6tgq said:
Make that 3 people. For the record, I'd rather have a new pair of muck boots instead.

My wife has a shelf full of those expensive purses. Micheal Kors ,Kate spade , Doonie and Burke , Coach . I bet there's 6 or 7 k dollars worth . She doesn't say anything about me buying guns so I don't care what she buys .

Craig Miller":83zqv3rf said:
True Grit Farms":83zqv3rf said:
Craig Miller":83zqv3rf said:

Me too, read the thread and went straight to Google. My wife would like at me like I lost my mind. She would probably ask if she should wear those out to feed her goats. They look real comfortable. :roll: Probably shouldn't say this, but me thinks the spiked heels aren't as much for his wife as they are for his imagination. :hide:

Alan":3rdt28ms said:
Craig Miller":3rdt28ms said:
True Grit Farms":3rdt28ms said:

Me too, read the thread and went straight to Google. My wife would like at me like I lost my mind. She would probably ask if she should wear those out to feed her goats. They look real comfortable. :roll: Probably shouldn't say this, but me thinks the spiked heels aren't as much for his wife as they are for his imagination. :hide:

You may be right there alan. The highest heels I've seen on my wife in the 12 years we've been married are the ones on the bottom of her ariats.

Latest posts