How much could I expect to pay...

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ":1pm08kfu said:
If it was me, and you are going to run herefords, I'd put a some kinda angus cross on em. There were some nice Maine-angus, Gelby-angus crosses in the Houston sale yesterday. That'll give you some continental to combat all that english.

Well, I know two pure breed ranchers. One is Black Angus and the other is Polled Herefords. When I make the move I think that is what I'm going with-Angus bull and Hereford heifer.

If you're just starting out, you are approaching a lot differently than I did.

I started with cows. Actually bought a few bred cows and a few weanling heifers to learn the ropes. After those cows, and their calves, taught me a few things, I went on to my dream purebred seedstock heifers. I leased a bull for them and hauled them to the bull's farm for breeding. This year I plan to AI instead. The last part of my learning curve will be buying a bull. No plans as of yet to do that. I would need a very sturdy place to hold him when he isn't 'working' and inexpensive feed and hay options to maintain him. Not to mention ensuring my infrastructure will handle a hormone-laden bull. If you already have all this and feel comfy around bulls, then more power to you!

I'm definitely not there, yet.

Just some friendly thoughts from a another newbie. ;-)

Little Cow":2i5n84kk said:

I started with cows. Actually bought a few bred cows and a few weanling heifers to learn the ropes. After those cows, and their calves, taught me a few things, I went on to my dream purebred seedstock heifers. I leased a bull for them and hauled them to the bull's farm for breeding. This year I plan to AI instead. The last part of my learning curve will be buying a bull. No plans as of yet to do that. I would need a very sturdy place to hold him when he isn't 'working' and inexpensive feed and hay options to maintain him. Not to mention ensuring my infrastructure will handle a hormone-laden bull. If you already have all this and feel comfy around bulls, then more power to you!

Thank you, that is something I need to think about.

Little Cow":dcx5o36l said:

A secret we realized several years ago is that bulls are not really a problem if you have a "generally" secure pasture, AND you keep the bull with "his harem" after breeding. Also, keep about a 10-20' wide alleyway (or vacant pasture) between bulls and their harem.

A bull with no girls to hang out with (bred or un-bred) is a wreck waiting to happen.

We maintain 3 servicing bulls with their own girls without any problems at all...of course, separated via pastures & alleyways.

That makes sense.

I'd have to build some alleyways if I wanted to do that. I also have to invest in stronger pasture fencing on leased land. Not sure I want to spend the money if they might sell it at any time.

I guess it isn't practical for me at this time. TNCattle?

Latest posts