How much could I expect to pay...

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
for a good black Angus bull? Not the best in the world but a good solid one. Also, what is everyone's opinion on what to breed him to?

tncattle":2j5s5hqy said:
for a good black Angus bull? Not the best in the world but a good solid one. Also, what is everyone's opinion on what to breed him to?
$1000 to $1500 will get you a good angus bull.starting out it doesnt pay to buy the high dollar bull.because you can buy 3 or 4 bred cows for what that 1 bull cost.

tncattle":2d5v8pfz said:

It depends. How old, pedigree, availability.... Breed him to good Angus cows, of course. :p

bigbull338":1cpw7os4 said:
tncattle":1cpw7os4 said:
$1000 to $1500 will get you a good angus bull.starting out it doesnt pay to buy the high dollar bull.because you can buy 3 or 4 bred cows for what that 1 bull cost.

The rule of thumb that I always heard was that you could afford to pay what your 3 best bred cows were worth or your 5 best steer calves. $1000 to $1500 doesn't buy much in the way of good young cows, more like bred 0 mouth cows.

cowboyup216 wrote:

Dont listen to Frankie.

Don't listen to either one of them!!!

I'm only kidding.

Actually you should find out what in your area market sells best and breed to that. It could be Angus or Hereford or who knows. Do some study on what will bring you the most income and go with it.

Get a decent bull for around $1000 and breed him to whatever sells best in your area. Locally, black and baldy calves sell best - so that's what we produce.

BC":onbkhz6o said:
$1000 to $1500 doesn't buy much in the way of good young cows, more like bred 0 mouth cows.

I probably would agree with that had I not sat 6 hours through the Dublin Auction last Friday. Young bred angus cows were going cheap. No one was buying them. I didn't stick around for all the sale and didn't see any of the calves go through. Most were light bred but there were some heavy bred angus too.

All I bought were a couple of splits for that doggone nurse cow of mine. I should have picked up three splits in stead of two.

Thats some times a tough one. I have seen bulls sell for over 20,000 that had trouble walking across the sale pen. Quality always pays in my book but I would avise shopping around and being pateint. Pick the best bull that in three years or so when you go to get another one you can say I hope I find one as good as the one I am replacing.

A good bull around here will be in the $1500-2000 range. My first impulse is to tell you breed him to angus cows(I wonder why). But in your case I'd get some straight bred herefords and make baldies. They will sell anytime anyplace at the top of the market.

Caustic Burno":1a7l94i4 said:
First what kind of cows are you running?
Is this a commericial operation? Seedstock?

More than likely from the advice I have gotten it will be commercial. I am in the planning stages and gathering info in all areas.

tncattle":2hyj36u3 said:
Caustic Burno":2hyj36u3 said:
First what kind of cows are you running?
Is this a commericial operation? Seedstock?

More than likely from the advice I have gotten it will be commercial. I am in the planning stages and gathering info in all areas.

Ah comericial opens a lot of options are you planning on running red cows that give you options to follow the market?
Are you stuck on black cows which are more expensive and have limited options for the commericial operation?

Angus Guy":1phli98k said:
A good bull around here will be in the $1500-2000 range. My first impulse is to tell you breed him to angus cows(I wonder why). But in your case I'd get some straight bred herefords and make baldies. They will sell anytime anyplace at the top of the market.

And Boy do they sell good in this part of the Country, and everywhere else.

Angus Guy":3uq1hu0o said:

So Angus Bull on Hereford cows? Forgive my ignorance but baldies are white headed cattle and black body, right? Why do they sell anytime, anyplace at the top of the market?

just remember you get what you pay for. You pay more for proven genetics and you will get more with heavier calves and better milking replacements. $2000 is a good start. Why have x number of cows, worth $1000 a head and turn a $1500 bull on them only to have the calves not preform very good. A good bull will pay for himself. A crappy bull will cost you in the long run

Scotty":30su94pw said:
Thats some times a tough one. I have seen bulls sell for over 20,000 that had trouble walking across the sale pen. Quality always pays in my book but I would avise shopping around and being pateint. Pick the best bull that in three years or so when you go to get another one you can say I hope I find one as good as the one I am replacing.

O.K. when I replace in three years is the bull I'm replacing still desirable to buyers if he's been good for me?

tncattle":vnzqsi81 said:
Scotty":vnzqsi81 said:

O.K. when I replace in three years is the bull I'm replacing still desirable to buyers if he's been good for me?

Nope very few people want a used bull due to STD's hamburger prices at the salebarn.

tncattle":p76avj3g said:
Angus Guy":p76avj3g said:

So Angus Bull on Hereford cows? Forgive my ignorance but baldies are white headed cattle and black body, right? Why do they sell anytime, anyplace at the top of the market?

Baldys are whitefaced cattle with a solid body color, could be red, black, yellow, etc. Reds with the neck patch aren't as desireable as those without the neck patch.
They'll generally bring more bevause they're generally a crossbred.

dun

I'm 60 years old and have worked all over this country and I firmly believe the best critter to go thru the sale ring ring has a Hereford mama and an Angus daddy.

When I was a kid there was Angus, Hereford and Brammer and dairy. Now you can't count them all and black baldies still show a profit and remain consistant when everything else comes and goes.Z

If it was me, and you are going to run herefords, I'd put a some kinda angus cross on em. There were some nice Maine-angus, Gelby-angus crosses in the Houston sale yesterday. That'll give you some continental to combat all that english.

Latest posts