How many will trailer hold

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
How many 1100 to 1200 lbs cows will fit into a 32 ft gooseneck ? If you had to transport 19 cows and 10 - 200 lb calves 300 miles how big a trailer would it take and about what would it cost ?

I personally never tried to put more than 12-13 grown cattle in a 32 ft. trailer....but they probably weighed 1300 or so.

your best bet is hire a cattle pot to haul them.because youd need 2 32ft goosenecks.an maybe a 3rd trailer depending on how big the calves are.

cowboy43":2kk6c72y said:
How many 1100 to 1200 lbs cows will fit into a 32 ft gooseneck ? If you had to transport 19 cows and 10 - 200 lb calves 300 miles how big a trailer would it take and about what would it cost ?
would be cheaper to hire someone with 40ft groundload and make it all in 1 trip don't need a pot
and price should be $2.50-$3.00 per mile

I put 12 cows that size in my 24 foot trailer for up to 1 1/2 hour trip and never had a problem. But for that distance, 12 cows would be the mazimum I would put in a 32 footer. So, it would take a couple of the 32 footers, so it woud be cheaper to hire a longer ground load and get them all in one trip

Thanks for all the answers , this will help in my decision for buying at a distance from home, so it looks like to transport about 300 miles you would add somewhere from $50 to $75 added cost per cow. Is that what you all are seeing?

man i wish i could get a 32ft gooseneck for $2 to $2.50 a mile.my hauler runs a 32ft an charges $3 a mile loaded.

tncattle467":2a770f3n said:
I fit 10 that averaged 1100 pounds into a 20 foot long by 6.8 wide. There was still room for two more if I crammed em in there. So with 32 footer I would say at least 15.

You're cattle must be much better trained than mine. I could never get them lined up like that. Three to the compartment was always pushing it with mature cattle. Smaller ones might allow one more put section if I got them in perfect. I wouldn't even think about moving them several hundred miles in those packed conditions.

TexasBred":z5jl0l05 said:
tncattle467":z5jl0l05 said:
I fit 10 that averaged 1100 pounds into a 20 foot long by 6.8 wide. There was still room for two more if I crammed em in there. So with 32 footer I would say at least 15.

You're cattle must be much better trained than mine. I could never get them lined up like that. Three to the compartment was always pushing it with mature cattle. Smaller ones might allow one more put section if I got them in perfect. I wouldn't even think about moving them several hundred miles in those packed conditions.
TB those are Tennessee cattle the rest of us in the real world don't have cattle like that

when we were hauling all the time we figured in a 7 x28 we could haul 12 cows and in our 32 ft we hauled 15
in our 42ft ground load we could haul 22 cows and around 10 calves depending on size in the jailhouse

Angus I found a pic of a bunch of those cattle...somebody might need to enlarge it for me. I figure we can get 30-32 of these on a 24 ft.

Angus Cowman":l8h50rwb said:
TexasBred":l8h50rwb said:
Angus I found a pic of a bunch of those cattle...somebody might need to enlarge it for me. I figure we can get 30-32 of these on a 24 ft.
ya think we could get 80 of them on the 53ft pot

Heck yeah...on the bottom floor alone we could do that many. Put another 80 on top and a dozen in the doghouse.

Oh, ya'll, that's so sad. I can't tell you how bad it hurts my heart to see that. :cry2:
Can cattle like that recover fully? I gotta think immature cattle would be permanantly stunted, but will older cows bounce back with adequate, proper nutrition?

Farmwriter, I can't remember where I found that pic but those cattle are not in the US. They look more like the typical cattle of some of the African Nomadic tribes. 100% grass fed....just not a lot of grass around.

I was afraid that was somebody's TX heard that was abandoned to the drought. They do look a little leggy and awkward compared to any I've ever seen, but just b/c I ain't seen em don't mean they ain't around.
Still pitiful looking.

farmwriter":33klbx4s said:
Oh, ya'll, that's so sad. I can't tell you how bad it hurts my heart to see that. :cry2:
Can cattle like that recover fully? I gotta think immature cattle would be permanantly stunted, but will older cows bounce back with adequate, proper nutrition?
recover from what...can you imagine what a angus would look like in that enviorment

Well, I was thinking recover from starvation. I'm sure most breeds would look deplorable under similar conditions. You don't think the health of those cattle would be compromised?

Latest posts