How many times?

Help Support CattleToday:

There is apparently something in the way we humans (collectively, protestations notwithstanding) are wired that leads us to believe something is true if we hear it repeated enough times. Would be interesting to understand why we are wired that way. I figure maybe it's like our bad backs--we just haven't evolved quickly enough and our skeletal system still thinks we walking on all fours, whereas few of us actually are ;-)

boondocks":22g3511i said:
maybe it's like our bad backs--we just haven't evolved quickly enough and our skeletal system still thinks we walk on all fours...
Never met a man with a bad back who wasn't basically lazy to start with.

p.s.
(Mankind has never walked on all fours; but keep repeating it often enough and eventually others might believe it too)

snoopdog":11fg599n said:
How many times does someone have to lie to you, before you quit trusting them?

That's a good question. It also makes me wonder, is there anyone who has never told a lie? I certainly have, even though I consider myself a very honest person. If I had a business transaction and discovered I had accidentally shorted you $1, I assure you I would find you and make it right, but I have lied before. So, I assume it depends on what kind of lies we are talking about.

The worst kind of lier to me is someone who will habitually tell bold faced lies for their own gain. For example, someone is selling you a truck, and they know it's about to fall apart, but they pass it off as being in great shape, and it's know that this is how they operate always.

Son of Butch":3dlb7vi6 said:
boondocks":3dlb7vi6 said:
maybe it's like our bad backs--we just haven't evolved quickly enough and our skeletal system still thinks we walk on all fours...

p.s.
(Mankind has never walked on all fours; but keep repeating it often enough and eventually others might believe it too)

Clever! ;-) But ya know I didn't say humans per se; https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... d-strides/
Having taken a good bit of anat and phys etc, there's apparently some truth to the idea that our backs are just kinda a structurally weak point, certainly given modern life spans.
I have two herniated discs from treating my body like a pack mule so I don't draw any conclusions about one's work ethics from whether one has a "bad" back or not. I had a very bad spell two years ago, would not wish that pain on anyone, told hubs to put me out of my misery in the back 40 if it kept up.

I thought if this thread while watching an episode of The Andy Griffith Show last night. It made me wonder what kind of lies some give a pass. I noticed that Andy Taylor would often lie like a dog, and not just in one or two episodes, but I never really hear anybody mention it as if it were a bad thing for Andy to do.

Bright Raven":3ssssybq said:
It depends on the nature and/or circumstances of the lie. It might be prudent to lie if it creates more good than harm.

Being misinformed and repeating a misunderstanding is one thing. Destroying your credibility and integrity is another. Creating a scenario under false pretense will never end well.

Son of Butch":rq4p24qm said:
boondocks":rq4p24qm said:

p.s.
Wish you could have known my dad. He would have worked you to death but his back probably wouldn't allow him to get out of bed the next day. Such a broad sweeping stupid statement SOB.

backhoeboogie":ndbo1chs said:
Bright Raven":ndbo1chs said:
It depends on the nature and/or circumstances of the lie. It might be prudent to lie if it creates more good than harm.

Being misinformed and repeating a misunderstanding is one thing. Destroying your credibility and integrity is another. Creating a scenario under false pretense will never end well.
you should know.

One of my many problems in my life ha to do with this subject. I am always a " One and done" kind a guy. As I think back, I realize that there were times when I should have let the lie go. I am better or worse?

cowboy43":1xfmpco1 said:
If someone cheats on their spouse are they trustworthy in the business world.

No. If they don't honor their marriage they are not going to honor any other deals they make.

With that said, there are times when you have to work work with people who you know are lyeing or of questionable character. Knowledge is always power. Knowing peoples background and other history is to your benefit when deciding how to handle some one.

Hook2.0":gekjrgbz said:
TexasBred":gekjrgbz said:
backhoeboogie":gekjrgbz said:
you should know.
I must have missed something :pop:

It's from a loonng time back.....

Bright Raven":2xpait1o said:

Every time I read one of your post, I get that warm, fuzzy feeling.

TexasBred":1tnmgr5v said:
backhoeboogie":1tnmgr5v said:
Bright Raven":1tnmgr5v said:

you should know.

The truth doesn't hurt on this end.

If you and I NEVER ever sit down and have a cup of coffee, that would suit me perfectly.

I am extremely against lying. Its amazing how much trouble that causes in the short term. Its very hard for me at work some times because there are things that I know that others can not know or do not need to know. From time to time people will try to directly pin me down on some thing and I find it easier to just say... I don't know. At some point most people start to understand if you ask and I don't respond there is a reason. Not all of them can grasp that though. Another example is when I get home and my parents or girlfriend or some thing asks how was the drive home. I don't see any thing good coming out of saying I saw 3 wrecks, sat with a guy missing half his face before the halo flight got there, etc. Its always kind of pulled at me, when I feel, I have to do things like that. It gives me just a slight feel of what some of these ex-military and first responder type people deal with. Its easy to see how that can snow ball in to some thing more.

Latest posts