How Many of You Have Signed Up For Cost Share Programs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":27djs0mt said:
aplusmnt":27djs0mt said:
Crowderfarms":27djs0mt said:
aplusmnt":27djs0mt said:
Caustic Burno":27djs0mt said:
Cabo":27djs0mt said:
Every dollar that the government pays out be it salary, cost share, pensions, welfare, storm relief or whatever can be broken down as welfare because it is supposedly going for what the government wants done with the money. The very minute that the gov. stops flagrantly wasting my tax dollars, I will refuse all subsidies, grants, pensions or payments of any kind. Until then I am going to work at supporting my family and take anything that the gov. wants to hand out.

Justify in your mind anyway you want to welfare for them subsidy for you is still welfare.

Kinda like the difference in depression and recession its a recession when your neighbor is out of work a depression when you are.

Is a Subsidy and Cost share the same thing?
No, they are two different things.

If they are differnet, Caustic which is it you have problems with? Subsidies or Cost Sharing? Or both?

Which one are you not taking government money from the taxpayer?

Did you guys get any money back (or pay in less) due to Katrina? No different to me. Government helped you guys out. There is a lot gray areas when it comes to Government helping a person. Paying less in taxes because of Katrina is them helping you guys.

Government decides how much we pay them, and then they decide if we can have any of it back in the form of a tax break due to national disasters or checks in a Cost Share program.

Welfare is getting something back for nothing, having 6 kids and no job, paying in nothing or 10 times less than you get back.

Hadn't had a dog in this fight so far.

I did receive just under $3000 from the govt. for cleaning up the trees down. Ashamed that the people hit by Rita didn't really get any help, as they suffered just as much if not more.

I took the money, call it what you want, because I was going to clean the trees and repair the fence anyway. Used the money to buy more cows.

How many people would not take the money if offered?

Don't forget the string posted a while back about govt. payouts. Mostly row-croppers, but look your county up.

http://www.ewg.org/farm/region.php?fips=22077

aplusmnt":24qj13z9 said:
Caustic Burno":24qj13z9 said:
Crowderfarms":24qj13z9 said:
Caustic Burno":24qj13z9 said:
Cabo":24qj13z9 said:
Every dollar that the government pays out be it salary, cost share, pensions, welfare, storm relief or whatever can be broken down as welfare because it is supposedly going for what the government wants done with the money. The very minute that the gov. stops flagrantly wasting my tax dollars, I will refuse all subsidies, grants, pensions or payments of any kind. Until then I am going to work at supporting my family and take anything that the gov. wants to hand out.

Justify in your mind anyway you want to welfare for them subsidy for you is still welfare.

Kinda like the difference in depression and recession its a recession when your neighbor is out of work a depression when you are.

If they are differnet, Caustic which is it you have problems with? Subsidies or Cost Sharing? Or both?

Did you guys get any money back (or pay in less) due to Katrina? No different to me. Government helped you guys out. There is a lot gray areas when it comes to Government helping a person. Paying less in taxes because of Katrina is them helping you guys.

Government decides how much we pay them, and then they decide if we can have any of it back in the form of a tax break due to national disasters or checks in a Cost Share program.

Welfare is getting something back for nothing, having 6 kids and no job, paying in nothing or 10 times less than you get back.

Aplus that is semantics if you are getting money you haven't earned, other than insurance which you paid a premium for.
Katrina victims might have got government money I do not know of one farmer or rancher that recieved anything from Rita. Not enough news coverage for the politicians lot like Ms and Al. The East Texas bunch cinched up there belts and went to digging out. It took me and my neighbors 13 of us with chain saws 4 four tractors and a bulldozer two days to cut out to the paved highway. The destruction here was unbelievable.
Not one fence left standing on the place, all fences and pasture cleaned up on my dime. Not complaining I chose to live here.

See I choose to take responsibilty for everything on my palce every good or bad decision I am the one responsible.
You can live life as a victim or be responsible for you actions the excuses of why you should take the government money is a victims response, I refuse to be a victim.

Time to move on.

I was in Rutherford, TN a few days ago to buy my (CB welfare squeeze chute) the fellow lost every building including house,fences. I asked him if FEMA was as quick up there as they were to spread money to the looters in LA and he said "they didn't do a Da*m thing" made me mad, paid the man his price and left.

Cabo":hbbzj1oj said:
I was in Rutherford, TN a few days ago to buy my (CB welfare squeeze chute) the fellow lost every building including house,fences. I asked him if FEMA was as quick up there as they were to spread money to the looters in LA and he said "they didn't do a Da*m thing" made me mad, paid the man his price and left.
That's because us Tennesseans are a lot like the Texans affected by Rita. We dont wait for the Federal troops to help us. We pick up the pieces ourselves. Gallatin, Tn. was slammed by those Tornadoes, 3 weeks ago, not once have I heard anyone crying for FEMA.Friends and neighbors and total strangers have all banded together.

Caustic Burno":2u687fsb said:
aplusmnt":2u687fsb said:
Crowderfarms":2u687fsb said:
Cabo":2u687fsb said:

Aplus that is semantics if you are getting money you haven't earned, other than insurance which you paid a premium for.
Katrina victims might have got government money I do not know of one farmer or rancher that recieved anything from Rita. Not enough news coverage for the politicians lot like Ms and Al. The East Texas bunch cinched up there belts and went to digging out. It took me and my neighbors 13 of us with chain saws 4 four tractors and a bulldozer two days to cut out to the paved highway. The destruction here was unbelievable.
Not one fence left standing on the place, all fences and pasture cleaned up on my dime. Not complaining I chose to live here.

See I choose to take responsibilty for everything on my palce every good or bad decision I am the one responsible.
You can live life as a victim or be responsible for you actions the excuses of why you should take the government money is a victims response, I refuse to be a victim.

Time to move on.

I really do respect your opinion on this issue, and believe there should be no programs from the government such as cost sharing and subsidies. But if there was none of these programs then the taxes we pay should be smaller.

But as long as they take our tax dollars to put into these programs such as Cost Sharing, then to fill out an application to get some of it is no different to me than filling out your tax return to get a refund check because you qualify.

To fill out an application and to qualify for Cost Sharing, is just getting a portion of an inflated tax back that was taken from you to fund the program. As long as they are going to take money out of my Families mouth to fund a program I sure in the heck would love to get some of it back one day.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2fi6xcdd said:
You sound like a really nice guy TTCLM what with your tape recorder and gettin people fired and all. :roll:
Seems to me that TTCLM did the tax-payers a favor if his actions got her fired. But really, it was her own actions, or should I say her own inactions, that caused her own firing. She was being paid to deliver a service, and from what TTCLM said, she was actualy on welfare, by taking tax-payers money for wages, and then playing solitaire on gov. time, and not doing her duty, for which she was being paid to do. So, Hooray to TTCLM for removing some deadwood off the gov. payroll.

I don't have a dog in this fight either but I did take a look at the EWG site. I looked at my county and discovered the only the biggest ranchers were listed as receiving Livestock Subsidies. I guess it is based on the size of the operation but I find it interesting most of those on the list are the wealthiest in the county.

As far as the cost share programs go, I don't consider them hand outs. The government is paying you to do things THEIR way. I have yet to see one of their proposals where they get all things done the right way. A little common sense will do more good than their specs any day. That's a different story though.

To me this cost sharing is essentially an easement.

If anyone is truly benefiting from this government money, it is the people who see reduced runoff and water contamination.

aplusmnt":31ereffu said:
But as long as they take our tax dollars to put into these programs such as Cost Sharing, then to fill out an application to get some of it is no different to me than filling out your tax return to get a refund check because you qualify.

I couldn't disagree with that statement more.

These programs are funded by EVERYBODY'S tax dollars.

Your tax refund IS YOUR money because you overpaid your share.

lakading":3qsqltkk said:
As far as the cost share programs go, I don't consider them hand outs. The government is paying you to do things THEIR way. I have yet to see one of their proposals where they get all things done the right way. A little common sense will do more good than their specs any day. That's a different story though.

To me this cost sharing is essentially an easement.

If anyone is truly benefiting from this government money, it is the people who see reduced runoff and water contamination.

I like your assessment lakading. Not all govt. programs are created equal. The NRCS programs are designed to be beneficial to the environment for the long term.
Examples:

One program that I applied for paid 90% of the cost to fence off an area designated at "wetlands". This, in theory, keeps livestock out, and lets natural wildlife develop in a natural wetland.

Another program paid 90% of the cost of cross fencing to promote rotational grazing. This increases the species diversity in grasses, as well as making the land more productive.

Both programs have length of contracts that the receiver must sign. For example, the fences must be maintained for 20 years, and the stubble height must remain above 2". They do come out and check. Last fall, our local NRCS agent called me at work, and checked my place (I wasn't even there). They do have the right.

So if the govt. sees an environmental or other needed benefit, what is the harm in a farmer cooperating?

If anyone has seen pictures of how the Gulf of Mexico's dead zone has increased over the last thirty years from pollution and sediments, you would realize that any money paid out to farmers for conservation practices will benefit the govt. and other industries (fisherman, for example) in the long run.

lakading":1y0l3ykh said:
aplusmnt":1y0l3ykh said:

I couldn't disagree with that statement more.

These programs are funded by EVERYBODY'S tax dollars.

Your tax refund IS YOUR money because you overpaid your share.

My point is not really rather you are owed the money the same, but that the government sets up all standards for taking and receiving money in form of taxes. They decide how much you pay in and get back. They decide how much money goes into Cost sharing programs and how much you can get back of it. You are owed a refund from your income taxes based on their standards, as you are able to receive Cost sharing based on there standards.

As far as it being everyone's money versus my money, I will call it a wash for that nice new city park that my money went to build, my kids have a 130 acre park out back that I paid.

Any way I can get some of MY tax dollars back I will take it. Government took it by their standards and I will get it back by their standards. I really have not control over it, except to get it the way they decide.

We are receiving 75% for cost share for land conservation. Actually putting in a waterway.... So far it is going smoothly, it is a long process, we started with an application last summer. Actually since we are in the farm plan program we get some free advice from our local office. All of our land is classified as highly erodable. When last spring we wanted to repair a pasture and put in a waterway, we had the local office out and helped us out with our plan of erosion control. They are the ones that told us about applying for funds in the future, so we showed them the other place we wanted to put in a waterway, and it qualified. We are able to repair this waterway years earlier because of these funds. This does not change our operation one bit, we were just trying to be good stewards of the land, just now, it is sooner rather than later and less potential damage to the land.

I believe it is up to moral individuals to not abuse funds if they are available. I see abuses of things everyday in my life, as I'm sure everyone does.

I never get to utilize any of these programs because I am one of the people giving the money out. It would be a conflict of interest for me to give myself money. I don't work for the NRCS so I could get into those federal programs but after dealing with them all day and see the real cost and time involved, I just do it on my own.
There is supposed to be an environmental benifit to all the cost shared practices. If there is less erosion, less manure running into the streams, it is a good thing. This is something that the tax payers at large support. The most polluted environments in the nation are the large urban areas. I figure if the urban dwellers want to send some of their tax money to the rural areas to make the enviroment cleaner there, it is a good thing. If this makes them feel better while they are busy polluting their own nest, hey send more money so you can feel even better.

Was looking through old posts, saw someone said something about not paying for border fences. There is a program through the state here, for border fences hi T six strands they pay 80% do it yourself or they'll pay 80% labor and materials.

Let's see. Landowner wants a pipe for a stream crossing. Pipe costs $140. Landowner is required to have conservation plan on all property but can get cost share to pay for plan. Cost share for plan - $1000. Landowner gets approved for pipe installation. They pay 75% of 300 or 225 dollars. It costs the taxpayer 3 dollars to give the landowner 1 dollar. So total cost of the pipe installation is $3675 plus $1225 or $4900. Landowner then has to pay income tax on the $1225. so $490 of tax when the man could have paid $140 for the pipe, thrown some dirt on it and taken a deduction. Doesn't make sense to me. This is why I quit a good paying government job!

Jogeephus":3c21h2lg said:
Let's see. Landowner wants a pipe for a stream crossing. Pipe costs $140. Landowner is required to have conservation plan on all property but can get cost share to pay for plan. Cost share for plan - $1000. Landowner gets approved for pipe installation. They pay 75% of 300 or 225 dollars. It costs the taxpayer 3 dollars to give the landowner 1 dollar. So total cost of the pipe installation is $3675 plus $1225 or $4900. Landowner then has to pay income tax on the $1225. so $490 of tax when the man could have paid $140 for the pipe, thrown some dirt on it and taken a deduction. Doesn't make sense to me. This is why I quit a good paying government job!

Im sorry, I missed most of this and just couldnt keep track of your figuring or where the numbers came from. My fault. What did get me is this. You pay $490.00 in income tax on $1225!!!! What tax bracket are you in?

Latest posts