How many guys retain AI calves for own herd sire?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kscattle

Reaction score
I'm just curious of the cattleman who don't ever buy a bull from a breeder, rather they use their own stock to raise herd bulls through AI or ET. I personally like to throw different genetics into my herd every couple years, and buy a bull from an outside source. I had a guy tell me that if he was AIing he would never buy a bull again, and it kinda puzzled me, wondering if I was the minority. I keep replacement hfrs every year so the genetics are always changing, and I AI 95% of my cows, so the bull don't have a real tough job if you think about it.

I'm no cattle guy, more of a hobby guy. I run between 12 an 15 cows and a bull usually have a couple of steers for future freezer stock. I just wanted to make that clear, I AI every year, except this year ... Another story. But I have mostly kept a good AI calf and raised him to use as a clean up bull, yes sometimes I get a son-mother calf, those don't go back in the herd. When I start getting too much of that line of bull I throw in a new AI calf for future clean up. But they have to be bull quality, not just "a son of such and such". I'm watching three young bull calves this year for future clean up bulls.

Since we also sell bulls, keeping one from AI for our own use only makes sense.

I learned to AI about 20 years ago. I had big plans for it, but stuck commercial. The only time I AI now is in hopes of getting a bull for use.

We AI all cows/heifers. Out of 20 calves we usually only get 2-3 calves a year out of the bull. 2 yr old bulls are worth about 30% more so each year we try to (if good enough) keep at least one AI bull back. Then market the 2 yr olds or if someone really wants to pay for a yearling he can go too! Kept one the last 2 years and will keep 2 this year. 1 for the heifers and 1 for the cows. We really try to breed the "bull momma's" to an outcross bull to keep some new genes coming in. Biggest problem I have tho is raising the bulls. They are a pain in the butt.