How many cows

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Would you reasonably expect a 2 yr old RA bull to cover in a 45 day time period. He's a virgin.

Having a pretty serious disagreement with my partner about this.

We have an opportunity to send the yearling heifers(8) to a friend to be bred to a calving ease BA bull and keep 27 cows with the young bull.

I think that is plenty and if we do it that way will assure a 45 to 50 day calving season.

Partner believes he can cover them all (35 total) and get it done in the 45 days.

I'd like to hear some input.

For a 24 mo old bull, virgin, I'd think 20-25 females would be quite a job...esp. in 45 days. We figure about 1 female for every month of age of a bull (over 14 mos old) until he is mature (3-5 yrs old). Then, a mature bull, probably not more than 35-45 females in a breeding season.

Too much breeding too quick can pull the bull's condition down (cf: human breeding). When condition is down, breeding efficiency drops and probably sperm count, etc.

Don't overwork your bull...if you want him to last in good condition, health... ;-)

The bull we bought last year was 16 months old when we put him in with approximately 58 cows. It looks like he's covered 35 to 40 in about 6 weeks.

id thibnk a 2yr old bull could cover 27 cows.but i think id give him 60 to 75 days to cover them.he sure cant cover 35hd in 45 days.your smart putting the heifers with your friends bull.

3waycross":ix496yix said:
Would you reasonably expect a 2 yr old RA bull to cover in a 45 day time period. He's a virgin. I always use the rule of thumb, 1 cow for each month the bull is old, up to a maximum of 35.

Having a pretty serious disagreement with my partner about this. One of the reasons I hate partnerships.

3way, I think it's important to look a the size and condition of the bull. I would have no worries if it were his second breeding season. The thing about a virgin bull, whether it be a a 1 or 2 year old is. Those first cows that come around will get a lot of activity. The Virgin bull will wear himself out chasing, trying to mount these first cows before they stand, then mounting her over and over.. Once a experienced bull gets in his rhythm [so to speck] he will pace himself mount a standing cow then off to check on the others. Just that it takes a Virgin a while to get into it. I would give him a longer breed period. Another 3 weeks.

If he is well adapted to the conditions and in good condition without it being fed on with grain, he should easily be able to do it. To be on the safe side maket the breeding season 65 days long.

Bull update

Looks like he may be going home for a replacement. I've never seen a bull as lazy as this one. All he has done for 3 days is eat and sleep. The cows are spread out over 40 acres and he makes no attempt to herd them up or travel around and check his girls. Think we're gonna send him home and get one that has some sex drive.

In retrospect shoulda stayed with the Gelbvieh's. Never seen bulls that work as hard as they do.

3waycross":2pz13wts said:
Bull update

Looks like he may be going home for a replacement. I've never seen a bull as lazy as this one. All he has done for 3 days is eat and sleep. The cows are spread out over 40 acres and he makes no attempt to herd them up or travel around and check his girls. Think we're gonna send him home and get one that has some sex drive.

In retrospect shoulda stayed with the Gelbvieh's. Never seen bulls that work as hard as they do.

What is he doing at night? Grab a flashlight and check him out at midnight. Our 2 year old Horned Hereford bull touched maybe 2 cows out of 25 last summer. Bred the rest at night. Scared the crap out of us as we didn't know if he was doing his job. Bred 24 cows and a few heifers in 45 days. One cow got put back a cycle because of the aggressiveness of her calf, so not the bulls problem. He got a 3 month break and then bred 15 head in the fall calving herd in a 45 day period.

I would think a 2yo bull will cover 27 cows. Another thing to remember is how large an area the cows are on. If you have a 40 acre pasture, he's doing a lot of running to find cows in heat. We always figure a bull will cover more of our fall calving cows because we are feeding hay and have them in a smaller pen.

He is two years old, NOT one year old so 27 cows should be no problem. If in doubt bring him 5 lbs of 12% mixed bull ration daily to keep his energy levels up. Did you get him a Breeding Soundness Exam BEFORE you turned him out??? I wouldn't panic at all after THREE days. It is entirely possible he prefers breeding at night and it is entirely possible that there hasn't been a cow in heat in the last three days and he has sense enough not to run around acting a fool.

Brandonm22":jvhb0tn4 said:
He is two years old, NOT one year old so 27 cows should be no problem. If in doubt bring him 5 lbs of 12% mixed bull ration daily to keep his energy levels up. Did you get him a Breeding Soundness Exam BEFORE you turned him out???
Why yes we did. He passed.

I wouldn't panic at all after THREE days.
Who said I PANICKED, I've been around a lot of bulls and never seen one who was a unconcerned as this one, he was eating grass while the heifers were MOUNTING each other.

It is entirely possible he prefers breeding at night and it is entirely possible that there hasn't been a cow in heat in the last three days and he has sense enough not to run around acting a fool.

Around here checking the cows is called working for a living not running around acting like a FOOL

BTWI HOPE THAT'S ENOUGH CAPITAL LETTERS FOR YOU.

A manager going to his bullpen after his pitcher throws two balls is "panicing". Getting a replacement bull after only three days is also "panicing". He had and PASSED his BSE so all his "equipment" appears functional and his not shooting blanks. Leave him in there for 20 days and if you want to freak out and buy/lease a cleanup bull after that it wouldn't be a bad precaution. IF you pull him NOW you will never know whether he was a good investment or not. We had a yearling Gert bull once that nobody ever saw within 50 foot of a cow. The twerp wouldn't even rest under the same shade trees as the cows. Ten months later (seven months after he had left) the pasture was full of evidence of his work. Three days ago you THOUGHT he was your best option, I don't change my mind THAT fast without real powerful cause.

Brandonm22":25cwx0nr said:
A manager going to his bullpen after his pitcher throws two balls is "panicing". Getting a replacement bull after only three days is also "panicing". He had and PASSED his BSE so all his "equipment" appears functional and his not shooting blanks. Leave him in there for 20 days and if you want to freak out and buy/lease a cleanup bull after that it wouldn't be a bad precaution. IF you pull him NOW you will never know whether he was a good investment or not. We had a yearling Gert bull once that nobody ever saw within 50 foot of a cow. The twerp wouldn't even rest under the same shade trees as the cows. Ten months later (seven months after he had left) the pasture was full of evidence of his work. Three days ago you THOUGHT he was your best option, I don't change my mind THAT fast without real powerful cause.

THAT'S JUST WHAT WE DID. BOUGHT HIM A BUDDY FOR THE COMPETITION AND A LITTLE INSURANCE POLICY. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

FOR THE RECORD i NEVER THOUGHT HE WAS THE BEST OPTION, UNFORTUNATELY MY PARTNER DID, HE IS NOW THE SOLE OWNER OF THE SORRY LITTLE SUCKER AND I OWN THE CLEANUP BULL. ONE IS RED AND THE OTHER BLACK SO I GUESS WE'LL SEE WHO WANTS TO WORK HARDER. THE LITTLE BLACK BULL IS ONLY A YEARLING AND I WILL BE SURPRISED IF HE DOESN'T OUTPERFORM THE RED BULL.

3waycross":2ze1zkds said:
Brandonm22":2ze1zkds said:

THAT'S JUST WHAT WE DID. BOUGHT HIM A BUDDY FOR THE COMPETITION AND A LITTLE INSURANCE POLICY. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

FOR THE RECORD i NEVER THOUGHT HE WAS THE BEST OPTION, UNFORTUNATELY MY PARTNER DID, HE IS NOW THE SOLE OWNER OF THE SORRY LITTLE SUCKER AND I OWN THE CLEANUP BULL. ONE IS RED AND THE OTHER BLACK SO I GUESS WE'LL SEE WHO WANTS TO WORK HARDER. THE LITTLE BLACK BULL IS ONLY A YEARLING AND I WILL BE SURPRISED IF HE DOESN'T OUTPERFORM THE RED BULL.

:help: me :help: you

sooknortex":1xyxtdpn said:
I have had 2 year old bulls breed 45 cows in 60 days in 640 acre pastures. And that is pretty common in these parts, not just in my operation. Most pastures around here are AT LEAST 160 acres.

Good god, no kidding. A 40 acre pasture is small. If a 2 yo bull can't cover 50 cows in a 60 day season in a small paddock, that bull needs to be hamburger. He'd also better be able to maintain shape with that little work. My long yearling bulls are expected to cover 30 to 40 cows while growing or else they look for new homes.

Fertility is one of the key ingredients to making money. Commercial cow men rely on it. Don't propagate poor fertility just because an animal looks impressive or has "good numbers".

Rod

Maybe the bull thinks your cows are homely and doesn't want to be seen with them during the daylight. He will like them much better in the moonlight, I think he is midnight romancer. :lol:

J+

Latest posts