how many bales do you typically make to the acer

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
With normal rain, how many round rolls do you make to the acre. Which cutting seems to be best for you as far as production. just curious. i just cut and got about 2.2 bales to the acre. I think the late freeze really took some bermuda out and set it back

Lot of variables plb - what size/weight are your bales?

For us first cut is always best for quantity but we have mixed alfalfa/grass stands.

If you are talking about that 50 acres you just bought, and straight grass hay - congrats! I think you did well.

ALX

In bermuda, normally get 4 rolls/acre on first. After that, its about 4.5 to 5 but 4 is what I consider a good average. Try to make all cuttings prior to seedhead formation. This year though, 4 looks like its gonna be my total for the year. :mad:

hey, it was late and I was tired. I can't get any to come out of my Sony or Gateway. maybe I need more fertilizer or rain

plbcattle":3qumpe48 said:
hey, it was late and I was tired. I can't get any to come out of my Sony or Gateway. maybe I need more fertilizer or rain

Every once in a while ttclm needs to correct spelling, it is a sign his meds have run out. :lol:

Do yourself a favour plb, and get a soil sample, that will let you know exactly what your fert needs are.

ALX

How much and with what did you fertilize? To make 2 tons of bermuda grass hay it typically takes 100 units of nitrogen, 40 units of phosphorus and 85 units of potassium.

We just got done baling a 12 acre field of ryegrass that made 52 4x6 round bales. I didn't think this was too bad considering I planted this annual ryegrass in March of '05, have worked the field up two different times since then, planted and baled sorgum/sudan grass, and grazed it to the ground this past Jan. It just keeps coming back like a bad weed.

Jogeephus":2xzl0ad2 said:
In bermuda, normally get 4 rolls/acre on first. After that, its about 4.5 to 5 but 4 is what I consider a good average. Try to make all cuttings prior to seedhead formation. This year though, 4 looks like its gonna be my total for the year. :mad:

Jo,

How much prior rainfall did you get in order to cut that many rolls of hay per acre ?? What size bales were you getting ??

We have gotten more rain this year than in several past years past (knock on wood here). I had hay cut and baled last week on a ten plus acre field. 28 rolls of hay 5 x 6 were made. Have the fertilizer scheduled for Friday of this week to see if we can get a second cutting on the field this year.

My wife pushed the pencil on these rolls of hay and it really scared me, we have about $67 per roll in each of them. Still this is cheaper than what I paid last year including what I had to buy for the drought.

If we make the second cutting, these numbers should come down some, spreading some of the lime costs and seeding over a larger number of bales.

Jack

Latest posts