How many amish buggies...

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't have either of those groups here, but we do have Gypsy's and they are a bug bare, roaming and putting down anywhere they feel, there was a lot in the Car Park of the Supermarket last week. they hooked their vans upto a lamp-posts electricity to get free juice, not backwards in coming forwards. :mad:

Wewild":2ut2i7xq said:
Lammie":2ut2i7xq said:
And you can spot a Menonite family a mile away here

Help me understand how that fits in our America?

I don't know how it fits into our America. We're all just here doing what we gotta do, I guess. At least they aren't running meth labs. You can spot those folks a mile away too. I'll take Menonites any day! ;-)

There are New order Amish and there are Old Order AMish and I deal with them frequently and have never had a major problem. They have some of the most profitable farms in the world per animal/crop. They do things like it was around here 50 years ago, everybody helps everybody when they need help.

Crowderfarms":32lywu6v said:
Why in Sam Hill would you want to live like it was the Stone Age?

Progress has brought us many problems, but on the other hand, it's made our lives a lot easier.

I'll be dad gummed if I want to wake up on a January morning and fool with Mr. Ed to put my hay out.I realize these folks have chosen this type of existence, but I sure like my Central heat and air, this Computer, and a host of other modern day convieniences.

I'm sure a lot of them are fine folks, but I dont trade with them, and they dont trade with me.You will sure have a hard time bidding against them at the stockyards. My money comes from a checking account or my wallet, not from a Church they get a lot of it from.

And who do you think gives it to the church.

Addressing some of the things other people have said:

If you saw an Amish guy driving he probably wasnt Amish but mennonite.

They do have a period before they reach a certain age when they are cac try modern things and then make their own decision regarding if they want to continue being Amish.

They dont have the modern conviences because they lead to pride which is a sin. Using them isnt a sin, even owning them isnt a sin, being proud of owning them is, therefore they dont own them. Buttons are considered prideful by some as well.

Im a strong believer in not judging one person based upon the actions of a different person.

PS: The bit about the crushed up buggies was pretty good. :lol: :lol:

Which brings us to, what goes clip clop, clip clop bang, clip clop, clip clop bang, clip clop, clip clop bang.

An Amish driveby shooting

dun

jw":1kscvwxf said:
Alvarado, TX

To totally hijack this thread for one moment - I drove through Alvarado at 6:40 PM Thursday and when I passed that Diamond W building on Hwy. 67 the thermometer read 114 degrees. Sure glad my A/C was working.

Now back to the thread.

Don't know what they do there anymore. I thought it was supposed to be a big roping venue when they first built it and now it is down to having swap meets and cycle rallies. Just sits there. It is a nice facility. Should attract some good events. It is nicer than the rodeo grounds we have in Cleburne and as good as the arena in Glen Rose.

Yes, 114. It was 107 on my back porch Thursday. I'm getting right tired of this.

I'm getting right tired of this.

Amen!!

Cold front is coming - supposed to get all the way down to 99 degrees around Monday. Won't that be wonderful. Gonna dig out the flannells!!

jw":15tz3gts said:
I'm getting right tired of this.

Amen!!

Cold front is coming - supposed to get all the way down to 99 degrees around Monday. Won't that be wonderful. Gonna dig out the flannells!!

They're taliking about a cold front coming through here today. Only got to 102

dun

dun":1rt7tlsc said:
Which brings us to, what goes clip clop, clip clop bang, clip clop, clip clop bang, clip clop, clip clop bang.

dun

Dun, that was so bad it was actually pretty funny! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

msscamp":phlbf9mb said:
dun":phlbf9mb said:

dun

I've been laughing about it all day, even told it to a few people. :lol: :lol:

Carlos D.":3i8fl8qe said:
price of gas keeps going up-- we'll all be flippin Amish.

That could be a problem because, while I can ride a horse, I don't have a flipping clue about how to harness one or drive one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ned Jr.":2xy4cs7e said:
msscamp":2xy4cs7e said:
dun":2xy4cs7e said:

dun

I've been laughing about it all day, even told it to a few people. :lol: :lol:

I'm going to have to tell it to the folks in the morning! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We see more German Baptists around here. Sounds similar to the mennonites you describe. They dress plainly... women with bonnets, men have beards. They do however drive and have houses, just a little different. Most have more than 8 children. Sound familiar to anyone on here?

Latest posts