How many amish buggies...

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
can you fit in a 53' freight box?

Answer?

I played musical buggies with a not so local (new to this area) Amish family today.

As much as I dislike and distrust the amish in general, If I had met these folks before all the others...my out look would be different.

These folks are as honest as the day is long. Hard working and clean. The kids are respectful and it is a family rule to not talk dutch when we are around. That means alot to us.

They moved from about an hour north west to here. The local amish community up there was in shambles and the kids were recking their stuff. When we got up there today, all the windows were broken in the wood shop.

Hubby hauled all the buggies and some household items and i hauled the horses. These folks were grateful. Hubby likes the barter system and these guys are going to straighten the barn and add some poles in return for the trucking.

Still do not like the amish as a generalization, but these guys are all right.

certherfbeef":ft06xgae said:
as a generalization, but these guys are all right.

Been my expirence and my belief is that most folks want to live there lives and grow their kids.

When I was a kid, we'd go to Ohio either in the summer or winter to visit my grandparents. We stayed in awe of the Amish...their beautiful farms...their calm nature. Mother is the one who told us about them...and she always spoke of them as good, yet, different people...different because of their religion and culture and traditions. My brother and sister and I were amazed at the buggies on a highway, no less. And, the hex signs on their barns.

A long time ago, the Amish came to our area, Stephenville, to work on the dairies. My brother hired an Amish man...a grandfather to one of the families. My brother caught the Amish grandfather coming into his house uninvited...and discovered that he'd been window peeping. The man was eventually busted on child molestation charges...his grandchildren. Broke my heart.

But, I decided, that one bad apple did not necessarily spoil a barrel. I still look fondly on the Amish, if for no reason other than what I remember as a child.

Alice

But, I decided, that one bad apple did not necessarily spoil a barrel.

You know you can't judge a whole segment of the population because of a few. For example, how would we as a peaceful, loving, sensitive, educated, etc. group of cowfolks be looked upon if the only encounter people had with us was what they read from TTCLM or Blackpower or some of the other jerks that used to be on here?

Good work cert. Folks are folks. We have a couple of Amish friends. They have issues just like the rest of us.

I'm glad you brought up the Amish subject Certs. I've thought about asking everyones opinion of them several times. A group of Amish are looking, very seriously, at buying my neighbors place. I think this group is from Indiana. If they buy it I'll share a ditch with them. I've been wondering what kind of neighbors they'd make?

Ned Jr.":2knb8t3t said:
I'm glad you brought up the Amish subject Certs. I've thought about asking everyones opinion of them several times. A group of Amish are looking, very seriously, at buying my neighbors place. I think this group is from Indiana. If they buy it I'll share a ditch with them. I've been wondering what kind of neighbors they'd make?

Ned, I would have (and probably still will) suggest you not water your cattle down stream from them. And be leary of them. Find out WHY they are moving so far from home.

These folks I helped yesterday would have not gotten the time of day from me if it had not been for my husband. And he only stopped in to visit with them because one of the other neighbors said they were good folk.

They also do not farm. The run a masonary business.

Here is a thread for ya to read thru. Good points on both sides of the amish issue.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=amish

Crowderfarms":14azjpne said:
Depends on whether the buggies are crushed or un-crushed. Last time we tried it we got 125 on a single 53' footer. :shock:

Crowder
please tell me you put the horses in the barn first????

Please :shock:

MD

Have dealt with quite a few Amish around here that do construction work. Hard workers. They can put up a house faster than anyone I've seen and do it right. The ones I've dealt with have been honest, but I'm sure there are bad apples just like with any other group. Don't really think it's fair to condemn an entire group for the actions of a few.

The Amish don't trouble me much. It's clearly a much different life from mine, but they take pretty good care of themselves and aren't a burden welfarewise so I say live and let live.
I hate the self checkout at Wal Mart. But I was really burned when I saw an Amishman using it and paying with plastic. He seemed comfortable with the system.
Around here they all have cell phones. Evidently that is exempt from the old ways.

john250":1vw7uof6 said:
The Amish don't trouble me much. It's clearly a much different life from mine, but they take pretty good care of themselves and aren't a burden welfarewise so I say live and let live.
I hate the self checkout at Wal Mart. But I was really burned when I saw an Amishman using it and paying with plastic. He seemed comfortable with the system.
Around here they all have cell phones. Evidently that is exempt from the old ways.

That sounds like the Menonites we have down south of here, lot looser rules than the old Amish folks

Yes, pretty loose rules around here, too. Some even drive cars and trucks. I've noticed most have electricity in their barns, woodshops, etc. but not in the house. Some have telephones, but they're usually out away from other buildings in what looks like an outhouse.

Why in Sam Hill would you want to live like it was the Stone Age?

Progress has brought us many problems, but on the other hand, it's made our lives a lot easier.

I'll be dad gummed if I want to wake up on a January morning and fool with Mr. Ed to put my hay out.I realize these folks have chosen this type of existence, but I sure like my Central heat and air, this Computer, and a host of other modern day convieniences.

I'm sure a lot of them are fine folks, but I dont trade with them, and they dont trade with me.You will sure have a hard time bidding against them at the stockyards. My money comes from a checking account or my wallet, not from a Church they get a lot of it from.

Crowderfarms":33au6n0z said:
I realize these folks have chosen this type of existence,

Just part of what makes America the greatest country around.

Jake":1t8rnlav said:
john250":1t8rnlav said:

That sounds like the Menonites we have down south of here, lot looser rules than the old Amish folks

Some folks get Menonites and Amish confused. Like my husband. But Menonites are allowed to have machines to work with, to drive cars, and have electricity and phones, but they aren't supposed to use that stuff for entertainmant. Like no television or gaming systems. They work here a lot with goat dairies, construction and farming. The women and children all dress plainly, but the men shave and wear jeans and t-shirts if they want to. Kinda bugs me that the women have to go around looking like characters but not the men.

And you can spot a Menonite family a mile away here because they all have big families and drive those 15 passenger vans. I see them in the grocery stores and vet clinics. I'm no expert, I just gathered this from reading and observing. There's a rent to own storage building company here that Menonites own. They do quite the business. That, and outdoor furniture.

Wewild":3tipo2n7 said:
Lammie":3tipo2n7 said:
And you can spot a Menonite family a mile away here

Help me understand how that fits in our America?

May not fit in our America, but it sure fits in Alvarado, TX, trust me on this one. ;-)

Alice

Alvarado, TX

To totally hijack this thread for one moment - I drove through Alvarado at 6:40 PM Thursday and when I passed that Diamond W building on Hwy. 67 the thermometer read 114 degrees. Sure glad my A/C was working.

Now back to the thread.

Latest posts