How long to hang--2 or 3 weeks?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Okay, I know this has been discussed but is hanging the beef for 21 days instead of 14 really that much of a difference in quality? How much beef in % is lost by hanging that extra 7 days? Appreciate anyone's experience with this.

The extra 7 days will really only affect the loss if there isn;t adequate fat cover. I've nver been able to tell the difference between the 2. The only way to know for sure would be to process half at 14 days and the other half at 21. There is enough variation from carcass to carcass that I don;t think you could tell the difference otherwise.

What Dun said .

Somewhere 3way posted all about aging and hanging, as well as wet aging/dry aging which was very informative .

Hopefully some guys will chime in that finish and slaughter on a very lrg scale to give a better perspective.

If there isn't any really BIG advantage to hanging 21 instead of 14 then I'm going with 14. Others chime if you have more info.

The longer you hang it the more tender it will be. Thats what I have always been told. The best most tender steak I have ate was hung 30 days. If it was my beef 3 weeks minimum hang time. Beef is just like a woman gets better with age... to a point.

Our uncle has his hang for 21 days and swears by it and my FIL swore by less then 2 weeks.
We hang for 14 days but are going to try 21 days this spring so remind me and I'll let you know then.

Don't quote me on this but I recall reading an article about the beef top end steakhouses use and they hang theirs 28 days I believe.

Mine is hung 14 days max but I would guess that 21 would be better.

Latest posts