How long should I grain feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Waymoore

Reaction score
I know that grain feed beef taste better than hay or grass feed. My questions are
1) if I buy a steer from a sale barn and it is hay feed how long would I need to grain feed to to change the taste?
2) is that an economical way -vs- going to the butcher pound for pound?

Another question is if I started raising beef for myself how many would I have to sell to offset the cost. I know there are alot of factors to an exact answer just estimations is what I am looking for. Trying to convince myself one way or the other

Thanks I have been reading this board for a couple of months great information getting shared.

Waymoore, I actually prefer the taste of grass fed beef over grain fed. As for the most "economical" way of raising your own I'd buy a 600 or so pound steer in the early spring, let him eat the grass up till fall, and then butcher. That way you won't be out any money for hay. If you want you can give him a bit of grain those last couple of months just to keep it tame and comming up to the fence as it makes it easier when processing time comes as it's less stressful on the animal if it's not been in much contact with you. Last one I did was given less than a pound of cracked corn a day for about a month before slaughter and he tasted great.

J

It really depends on your tastes, whether you want grass fed of grain fed beef. I would try some before I put an animal out to graze and then had it slaughtered only to find out you prefer grain fed.

I personally would feed a heifer instead of steer. Can be bought cheaper, will finish quicker. Need 90 to 110 days on all grain to be like what you have been buying.

EIEIO wrote:
Waymoore, I actually prefer the taste of grass fed beef over grain fed. As for the most "economical" way of raising your own I'd buy a 600 or so pound steer in the early spring, let him eat the grass up till fall, and then butcher.

Given the fact the steer eats mainly grass from spring till fall. curious aprox how much that 600 lb steer should weigh in at sale in the Fall? What is the LB per day growth rate on a steer that size?

Thanks

if you run calves on pasture for 150 days.grain feeding enough to keep them gentle.in that time the calf should weigh 825lbs.

BC":1r09ergl said:
It really depends on your tastes, whether you want grass fed of grain fed beef. I would try some before I put an animal out to graze and then had it slaughtered only to find out you prefer grain fed.

I personally would feed a heifer instead of steer. Can be bought cheaper, will finish quicker. Need 90 to 110 days on all grain to be like what you have been buying.

I'm curious as to how you figure a heifer will finish quicker than a steer. Heifers don't gain as fast as steers and as far as I'm aware most people feeding out critters shoot for a certain weight.

Waymoore said:
I know that grain feed beef taste better than hay or grass feed.

You do? I know many who would disagree with you.

My questions are
1) if I buy a steer from a sale barn and it is hay feed how long would I need to grain feed to to change the taste?

Are you experienced? Buying from the sale barn is fine provided you know what you are doing.

What weight are you planning to buy at? 200 pounds or 500?

How long are you willing to keep it?

Do you have the pasture, or are you planning to keep it in a pen?

When I wean at 5-600 pounds I put them straight on good grass pasture and water with mineral. I leave them be until they are about another 300 pounds along - we plan on about a 2-2.5 pound per day gain - they would gain faster but we are a true low cost producer - no extra money into them other than grass.

Then we sell the culls and those ging to the lot - we keep a few back for grass finishing - another story for you - but later as you have already decided what is best for you.

2) is that an economical way -vs- going to the butcher pound for pound?

This is a wide open for discussion question - you gotta' make this one for yourself.

Another question is if I started raising beef for myself how many would I have to sell to offset the cost.

:lol: :lol: When you come up with the answer let us know - I have made and lost more money than I care to remember.

Local feed costs, fuel, equipment or contractor costs, infrastructure, taxes, maintenance, general upkeep, Mother Nature and God, good luck, bad luck, health costs, crop and land cultivation, the beat goes on - if you plan on going to the point you want to cover your costs - you had better plan on more than three!!!! 8)

I know there are alot of factors to an exact answer just estimations is what I am looking for. Trying to convince myself one way or the other

One way or the other on what? Your experience level, infrastructure and total costs will be the deciding factor unless you plan to do this as a hobby - then cost is not a true factor - and to be a hobbyist is nothing to be ashamed of - in fact I figure if it interests you - try raising a couple for the heck of it. I got a serious feeling they will be spoiled rotten and turn into pets anyways. 8)

Thanks I have been reading this board for a couple of months great information getting shared.

Yeah, let's see if you at least have the courtesy to respond to the posts.

Have a good one.

Bez!

I feed my eatin animals 2lb's of 20% grain per day and as much good green hay as they want (minerals and water of course).

They taste better than anything from the supermarket....not gamey like some people associate with grassfed beef.

I believe proper aging/hanging of the meat by the processor and proper cooking has a larger impact than what the animal was fed.
I am very particular about who processes my animals. If they do a bad job they can screw up an entire beef.

Like Bez pointed out, cost of raising animals is entirely dependant on your knowledge and resources.

rk:

Yup they are - that is why I asked a few more for him/her.

I also believe that if one is really interested and they have no experience they should go get a couple and have some fun trying it - that way they will find out just how much work is involved.

They will also find out how good their product tastes - provided they do not fall in love with it.

They can sell any extras and maybe cover some of the cost.

rk - if you figure I am a little brisque with my responses that is why I added the smilies - just wanted this person to realize there is NO simple answer to any question that was asked - and did not want to mislead him/her in my response.

In the end raising cattle is work that can be enjoyable if one is dedicated - otherwise it becomes a chore and the animal becomes neglected.

If money is the primary reason for doing this - then let's all smile and go our separate way - tough to make a dollar as a newbie unless you inherit the ranch - debt free would be nice!

Most newbies figure it is like keeping a couple of dogs or cats - I am glad they ask the questions, but they tend to not ask enough questions - or they tend to ask the wrong questions.

Generally they do this and never respond to the answers they ask for hence my closing comment.

Mind you I did sign off the same way I am about to sign off to you.

Have a good one,

Bez!

Waymoore, it's too tough for me to give you a number regarding how many calves you would need to buy in order to go free and clear on the one you want butchered.

Got to remember I at least put some value on my time. Even on all grass there is going to be a need for vaccinations and worming. Can't count on every calf you buy to make it even though I'd give them all a 99.99% chance.

You did not mention how much land you have, how good the grass is (everywhere is different), got water, working facilities, fences, and the list goes on.

Bigbull338, thanks for your answer on the weight gain. In my area I could put the steer out in April and then take him in come November (long as it rained, the sun shined, and there was no whacky late or early hard freeze like this year) giving the steer 7 months of growing. Even with no feed except good pasture I'd expect him to come in at around 1,000 pounds. Am I off on that?

Waymoore, most folks that grain feed do it for 90-120 days. I can't give you an exact ammount of feed it would need daily but bet someone here can that has done it before and it will give you the "taste" your wanting. That's going to cost some serious extra money IMO especially if you can't buy bulk and got to buy bagged feed.

Bez!, glad I'm not the only one that likes grass fed over grain fed. Got a neighbor or two that is the same way so least I don't feel too much like the odd man out!

J

Edit- Man do I type slow, 3 responses since I started :lol: !

if you want him at 1000lbs by nov.with 7months of grass he should weigh 900lbs.soo to get him to 1000.bs.he needs tobr grained the last 45 days so he can marnle the meat a little.

Thanks Bigbull338, I don't have one right now getting ready for the table as the freezer is still pretty full. I will usually just keep the steer I have decided is headed for the table around till he "looks" ready for processing. I've really never kept an exact track of how long I keep them till I have them butchered.

This year my goal is to become much better at record keeping.

I still laugh thinking about CB's comment once about him keeping track of things with a red crayon and a Big Chief tablet! I'm sure he was joking but that comes close to the extent of my record keeping at the present :oops: !

J

novaman":rx29hrif said:
BC":rx29hrif said:

I'm curious as to how you figure a heifer will finish quicker than a steer. Heifers don't gain as fast as steers and as far as I'm aware most people feeding out critters shoot for a certain weight.

I meant that they get fat at a lighter finish weight.

In my area I could put the steer out in April and then take him in come November (long as it rained, the sun shined, and there was no whacky late or early hard freeze like this year) giving the steer 7 months of growing. Even with no feed except good pasture I'd expect him to come in at around 1,000 pounds. Am I off on that?

7 months = 210 days @ minimum 2lb/ADG = 420lbs of gain.

You said you'd buy what? a 600lb steer in the spring? So I'd say he should come off at around 1,000lbs in the fall.

Hard to say for certain though. It all depends on how well he gains. He might only gain 1.8lbs/day. Might gain 2.5lbs/day. Depends on the quality of feed and the genetics of the animal.

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I buy 2 holstein bottle bull calves, wean em at 8 weeks, let em survive on grass, hay and just enough feed to keep em calm. At about 12 months I send one to the butcher and sell the other to friends to cover my butcher fee and some expence on raisin them. I love the grass fed cause I dont get alot of fat.jp

Great advice and thoughts. New but learning. I just closed up a steer (about 700lbs) and a little bull (about 600lbs) to start the feed-out process. I am putting 50lbs of 12% calf feed in the trough each day...is that to much? I'm not really looking for a final weight since these are for my consumption. I guess I should also put a roll of hay in there with them...yes? They have been grass fed up to now. I have a mineral bucket and plenty of fresh water in the feed corral.

I've been raising cows for about 2 years now...I had absolutely no experience....and I mean none. I have made every mistake at least once...some more and "wasted" lots of money. Although I don't look at it as "wasted" since I've hopefully learned something. This has been and is good therapy. I'm sure I'll continue making mistakes....my Dad once told me..."show me a person that doesn't make mistakes and I'll show you a person that doesn't do anything"...which I firmly believe....but boy-howdee....I sure can be thick at times and get humbled each day by these cows!!!!!....but I love it.

Thanks for all the great advice....cheers, Bill

Bill Elliott":36wv5eg8 said:
I am putting 50lbs of 12% calf feed in the trough each day...is that to much?.... I guess I should also put a roll of hay in there with them...yes? They have been grass fed up to now. I have a mineral bucket and plenty of fresh water in the feed corral.

If you have just started the grain, yes, that is too much!! No more than 2% of their body weight to start with. And yes, they need hay as well.

msscamp":27kpgqdm said:
Bill Elliott":27kpgqdm said:
I am putting 50lbs of 12% calf feed in the trough each day...is that to much?.... I guess I should also put a roll of hay in there with them...yes? They have been grass fed up to now. I have a mineral bucket and plenty of fresh water in the feed corral.

If you have just started the grain, yes, that is too much!! No more than 2% of their body weight to start with. And yes, they need hay as well.

Ditto to that. 2% of the body weight of a 700lb calf is what, 14lbs/day? So you're feeding almost twice as much as you should. And if they haven't been on grain yet, I wouldn't start more than 3 to 5lbs/hd/day in the beginning, and then up the feed by no more than 2lbs/hd/week.

You need to take everything slow and gradual as it takes their systems time to adjust to the high concentrate ration. Otherwise you'll end up with problems like acidosis - if their manure turns really runny and they go off feed, you're dealing with acidosis. It can kill them dead as a doornail. If you start having problems, run a search on the boards for treatment - I asked about it a few weeks ago so the post shouldn't be hard to find.

I put one up today myself. I'm giving 2 pounds of grain, 1 pound of corn, and get this 1/2 can of beer. The beer is just something I'm trying this time around. Anyway about a week of this then I'll up it a little adding more corn and less grain. I'll be at all corn about 18 pound a day in two feeding at the end of the 90 days.

Latest posts