How long should I grain feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez, i think your right on.

Bama, i dont get what your saying. you said you'll be giving more corn and less grain. corn is grain. so less of what grain?

it is real possible to raise 2 steirs cut one and sell the other and resolve your cost. previded you aint paying rent on alot of acres just to raise eaters. you can raise 2-3 calves 2acres easy if your aready concerding feeding grain.

corn here right now is selling for $2.35 a bu under 100bu. a 100 bushell is 5600lbs and its almost inpossible to get 100bu in a pickup truckbed. we're trying to save money so we're not goinging to buy a trailer or a 3\4ton truck just using the 1\2 ton we already have. asuming we already have one. {now if have trailers and stuff this doesnt apply}. aight get around a ton of corn. that'll be around 35-36bu. that'll be around $84.60. if you feed 10lbs a day that'll last you 100 days for 2 steirs. last week bottle calves{mix breed stock} where going at $135 at around 100-120lbs. so say 2@ $280 to be save a bag of milk each will be $50 another $15 for bottles. so whats that about $350 in the animals before feeding. add $40 for ivomec. so you have roughly $475-$600 in this 2 animals. last week at the sale a 500lb calve was goimg for $700-$735. so now you got your cost of the animals resolved now you have to resolve your butchering. i believe that once you look at how much you spend at the store you would agree that the butchering resolves it self. ok so you want free beef raise another calf. now this is just the best of factors not including back luck, health problems etc.etc.

TheLazyM":2thkqrvv said:
Bama, i dont get what your saying. you said you'll be giving more corn and less grain. corn is grain. so less of what grain?

Sorry about the confusion - When talking about grain i'm talking about any grain other than corn. Actually its a pelleted 13% protein feed. When I said corn I'm talking about whole corn only. No other grains. Hopes this clears it up for you.

Thanks all for the response
I have tried corn feed and hay feed beef maybe it was the way it was cooked or the age of the animal but the grain feed was better to me.
Second as far as how much land and such good point Bez I did inherit 27 acres wit a small corall and alley set up. nothing fancy but workable. I have 2 tanks that are still holding water even in this drought.
I do not have visions of becoming another YO or Swenson but all I want to do is raise beef foe my family and teach my kids the same values that I was taught.
once again thanks everyone for your response.
Way

Sorry if I offend with spelling or typos

Waymoore":1ht2u2an said:
Thanks all for the response
I have tried corn feed and hay feed beef maybe it was the way it was cooked or the age of the animal but the grain feed was better to me.
Second as far as how much land and such good point Bez I did inherit 27 acres wit a small corall and alley set up. nothing fancy but workable. I have 2 tanks that are still holding water even in this drought.
I do not have visions of becoming another YO or Swenson but all I want to do is raise beef foe my family and teach my kids the same values that I was taught.
once again thanks everyone for your response.
Way

Sorry if I offend with spelling or typos

No offense taken (the old timers do it all the time ;-) ), It is an admirable goal you have set for yourself,good luck in your endeavors.If you have any questions,ask away, people on here will be glad to try and help you. ;-) :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2cvbze33 said:
No offense taken (the old timers do it all the time ;-) ), It is an admirable goal you have set for yourself,good luck in your endeavors.If you have any questions,ask away, people on here will be glad to try and help you. ;-) :cboy:
Mr Springer You forgot to suggest to him to use a Murray Grey Bull. :lol: