how long fore your out of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i was sitting here reading spins post about ppl stealing hay,an it got me to thinking.how long will it be here before every1 runs out of hay.i know we have about 60 days of hay if we feed everyday.an longer if we feed out of the sack for a few days between haying.i know alot of ppl will sell all their comes once the hay is gone.

We had a little rain a couple weeks ago that greened things up a little. They've gone off the hay and eating grass, so that gives me even more of a cushion til spring. Just hoping we get rain by then.

we ran out of grass pretty muchly last week.so now they will be getting hay an feed.anything that greens up they go after it.

I got a couple of inches 2 weeks ago. I may get 1 cutting from that. These cool nights aren't helping things much. Thin as it may be I have had people calling offering up to $10 a bale, small squares.
I sold the cows about a year ago. The hay sales will let me keep the lease.

novatech":1w6q35ra said:
I got a couple of inches 2 weeks ago. I may get 1 cutting from that. These cool nights aren't helping things much. Thin as it may be I have had people calling offering up to $10 a bale, small squares.
I sold the cows about a year ago. The hay sales will let me keep the lease.
sounds like you might be better off to graze the thin hay meadows if you can.we have 35acs that we can bale or graze.want to bale it when the fire danger passes.

I've got enough to get through November and then I'm gonna be out. Hate the thought of paying these outrageous prices for hay but I may not have any other option.

Grenhaw

I got enough to make it until real early spring only because Im grazing some pasture I just got fenced and may not have to feed hay for a little while. I did go ahead and buy a little hay earlier this summer figuring the prices would just keep going up. We've started getting a few good rains. I might be able to plant some rye grass but who knows how it will do.

Figure I got enough till the end of March. Grass may be greening up but with these night time temps there is not going to be enough growth to feed a cow or bale. There is not enough moisture in the ground to plant rye grass. Two to four inches doesn't break a drought when your feet behind. Roads are already dusty again.

I planted oats, cereal rye, and ryegrass for weaned calves like we normally do, and planted extra for the cows also. Sounds crazy but with hay at more than $200/ton it is cheaper to limit graze them on small grain / ryegrass than hay and cubes. We have been getting very timely rains about every week since 2nd week of October. Oats are 6-7 inches and cereal rye is coming up good. Drilling last field of cereal rye now. Plan is to start selling hay in December when cows are on pasture and am more sure that I will not need it. Have been grazing the little bit of bermuda that grew after rain, and giving them hay in between to stretch the pasture. Also planted a pasture in turnips with cereal rye and ryegrass. Hope to set that aside for January. I have lots of volunteer ryegrass and ball clover coming up. Same thing happened after last bad drought - we had good ball clover. We grazed ball clover that year in December. Usually can start grazing it in February.

we have cut our #s by selling 7 big bull calves so far.got the cowboys coming in dec to worm an tipp the cows an bulls horns an brand them.an while they are here working we will sort off another load to go to the salebarn.im thinking there will be 5 or 6 calves an 3 or 4 cull cows.an maybe 1 or both of the bulls,but havent decided about them yet.

It all depends on the severity of this winter. If we can get a little moisture, enough to keep the winter grasses alive, and our usual temps, I can make it till April. Man that is be very optimistic though. Of course I will need to keep strange cattle out of my fields. Found a nice looking yearling black bull running with my cows yesterday. Could not find where he entered the pasture and both neighbors say he is not theirs. He might end up buying me some more hay.

Had 7 weeks of hay. Then I made a 700 mile round trip to Louisiana. Now I have 18 weeks of hay.
If I thought I could get a fair price for my bull think I would sell cows and the hay.
Then wait for it to rain again. Some nights that sounds very inviting.

dcarp":b3vwb7k7 said:
Had 7 weeks of hay. Then I made a 700 mile round trip to Louisiana. Now I have 18 weeks of hay.
If I thought I could get a fair price for my bull think I would sell cows and the hay.
Then wait for it to rain again. Some nights that sounds very inviting.

A fair price for the cows would be nice too....

well 1 thing is for sure your not going tobe able to buy hay for a fair price.an most any cattle sold will be below a fair price,an most will go to the packers.

Prices for calves still good but selling anything older than 1 year is like giving them away.
Last 4 year old cow I sold brought a whole 40 cents a lb. After that I decided to buy more hay.
Bought 4 x 6 bales in the field for $45 a piece, cost me another $20 a piece for fuel and 14 hours of driving. Gotta love this business, but it does keep the mental hospitals less full. :help:

Hey Texas. Florida here. Y'all have had it rough. Hate it for y'all Wandering how many head u reckon the drought areas have claimed from Texas herds? I also am always in the market for good black cattle , Not looking to be a buzzard just always looking. I hope it gets better out there. 5' round bales have gone from $25. To $40. Here already and we aint n winter yet. So much of our hay is heading to yall.

well you didnt hurt yourself an $65 a bale to your gate with that hay.most times that hay wouldve cost you $100 a bale if some1 else was hauling it.

Not hurt for sure. Going to make another trip this week or next. Just hope I don't run into another cold front like last time. 30-40 mph wind blowing into me. Took twice as much diesel to come back as it did to get there.

dcarp":1vfb5kol said:
Not hurt for sure. Going to make another trip this week or next. Just hope I don't run into another cold front like last time. 30-40 mph wind blowing into me. Took twice as much diesel to come back as it did to get there.
Cause it was an uphill pull........ :lol:

Latest posts