How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Before y'all you all's start bragging about cutting hay Down South?

I know we won't be done feeding here before balers start laying eggs elsewhere.

Not rolling hay for awhile but should be grazing in 35-40 days. Supposed to be 74 here Wednesday and we have had almost 10" of rain since January 1st.
Should make grass come, that is a hot spring day in our swamps.

Trees are budding in N Al. Worried my blueberries will bloom and get killed again this year. Grand children sure were disappointed last year . Daffodils 🌼 are in full bloom but my wife says they bloom early every year . Still feeding hay so haven't thought a lot about baling . Couldn't get across hay ground with fertilizer without the spreaders going out of sight.

Been dropping down to about 20 degrees every night. Turn out around mid to late April. The first cutting on irrigated alfalfa is around the first week of June. Grass hay starts about the end of June. Over in Baker and up the river to Bridgeport and Hereford are about 2 weeks behind us.

Usually shoot for spring turn out towards the end of May but its been at late as early June some years.

Currently still 30" of snow on the ground and calling for 15-24" by the end of the week.

Going to start feeding hay today. Hope to be grazing again 1st of April. I will usually start seeing the early guys bale end of April or 1st week in May

We won't be turned to grass until May 25 or later.
It's usually first of April for us. I'm banking on the high fescue residual I left and the ryegrass I drilled. It's possible none of it goes my way.

Honestly will be surprised if it does go in my favor. Be out of hay soon.

We still have a good 12" of snow on the ground, and there is another storm coming for tomorrow; I'm hoping we don't get much snow. I usually pull the cows off the alfalfa fields mid to late march, but we might still have snow on the ground. The water in our corals froze up a couple weeks ago, and I am pretty sure it's the line down in the ground. That line run across the driveway, and I have been driving over it all winter. We normally cut our first cutting about mid June, but I don't think that is going to happen this year, maybe closer to the first week of July.

Latest posts