How is everyone doing in the cold?

Help Support CattleToday:

I know us folks in Tennessee don't know much about cold weather compared to alot on here, but it's been nasty here today. It's been sleeting this evening, windy, and 19 degrees right now and falling,with a high of 27 tomorrow. Couple of cows decided to have their calves out in it. It never fails. They couldn't have had them the last few days when it was in the 40s and 50s. Whenever I think our weather is bad I talk to my in-laws in South Dakota and realize it could be a lot worse. :D

It's been freezing here every night for the last 10 days a little too cold to pour concrete flatwork ,but its dry and the cows don't mind.

But it's about the earliest I've chipped ice for 10 days straight.

Fall cows are on hay, bulls are out keeping an eye on things. Spring cows are out in the stockpiled grass happily chowing down. -6F and the wind is howling. Working on my last project of the year - another solar winter watering system. Tandem truck is booked for hauling 5/8 crushed gravel on Wednesday morning. My corral panel welder showed up this evening and told me my next load of panels would be ready tomorrow and delivered later this week. Need to put up a little more electric fence before the frost goes too deep and take some interior wire out so the dozer man doesn't get tangled into wire this winter. Have been trying to get some firewood together, but I am a long ways from the 20 cords I need for the winter. Might break down this year and cheat and get a few cords hauled in by someone else. It's miserable outside right now, but gotta get everything done so I can sit at the neighbor's table for coffee in January and BS the mornings away.

Me and the girls didn't think it was that bad. At least I ain't sweatin.
146.JPG

Even had to make some feed today.
032.jpg

it's warmed up a little here, about -12C now, no wind which is nice, no snow so the cows are out grazing.

Aaron, what in tarnation are you heating that you need 20 cords of wood??? we heat the house and shop with about 7 cords.. if we had the length of your winter maybe 12 cords?

Nesikep":38p1qiik said:
it's warmed up a little here, about -12C now, no wind which is nice, no snow so the cows are out grazing.

Aaron, what in tarnation are you heating that you need 20 cords of wood??? we heat the house and shop with about 7 cords.. if we had the length of your winter maybe 12 cords?

Just the house, about 2600 square feet. But you have to remember, I live in one of the coldest areas on earth, which is definitely not BC. When it hits continual -30 to -40 with a nasty wind in January, I can burn a cord in 5 to 6 days.

colder here than in Barrow Alaska this morning 24Deg. I live in Florida dang it and I want 80 and 90 deg weather

well its cold here im sitting in the truck waiting to hear dogs start running then I will get out.. My hose was frozen this morning for the first time this year... Dun sent me this cold weather he felt the need to share with me... Thanks dun lol

skyhightree1":36oo3gbx said:
well its cold here im sitting in the truck waiting to hear dogs start running then I will get out.. My hose was frozen this morning for the first time this year... Dun sent me this cold weather he felt the need to share with me... Thanks dun lol
I ibviously didn;t send it allsince it was 4 degrees this morning when I got up to put a calf back in.

dun":3fb2y1p1 said:
skyhightree1":3fb2y1p1 said:
I ibviously didn;t send it allsince it was 4 degrees this morning when I got up to put a calf back in.

My turn to fool with a calf was last night when it was raining and about 40... The sale barn calves I keep seperate from other cattle and this one things one of my cows is its mama and does everything to try to get to her since her hair is really long she went through the electric fence. Its cold and windy here today.

Screenshot_2014-11-18-10-16-42_zps721b2222.png

It's stupid cold here, 9F. Yeah, yeah, not as bad as some, but this is the coldest it's been here in November since I've lived here. The frost is beautiful on all the fences and trees. Although, I think it's so cold that my little bull turned into a heifer overnight!

Aaron, your house is too big, its bigger than our shop and our house combined.. I think for us it's about 900 sq ft each. Up until this year though the house had single pane windows with no putty left, and 2x4 walls with NOTHING inside them.. well, except for lots of cobwebs.

AllForage":39oo4ogt said:
Aaron, am I safe to assume you are burning soft wood??

Yes, primarily all green aspen, get the odd spruce or ash as well. It's an outdoor wood boiler, not indoor stove.

It's been about 20 degrees below normal here for the last two weeks. We have a quick warm up coming this weekend, just long enough to rain on us before it's back into the dumpster.. grrr. ALlso deer season starts this weekend, I was planning on getting cold but not wet. I just feel bad for the cows, I can sit by the fireplace.

Latest posts