How I spent my spring break

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I had a great spring break. In more ways than one. No cows died while I was gone for 9 days. That is always a possibility with the boys taking care of things for me. While I was gone the boys (ages 33 and 35) bought four hogs which they brought to my house to live until they are ready to butcher so now I get to add feeding hogs to my chore list.

But the real good part was spending time in the Okanogan Valley helping people recover from last summer's fires.

The ranch I got to work on was pretty special. The husband broke his neck 12 years ago and is confined to a wheel chair. The wife takes care of him, their two young teenaged kids, about 100 mother cows, and 2500 acres with no outside help. She is one hard working lady. But cheerful, always with a smile on her face, and a great attitude. Last week we repaired about two and a half miles of fence. The steel posts and wire were all there but anything wood was gone. That meant all the gates, corners, and H braces were gone. They had wood stays between each post that were also gone and needed to be replaced with metal ones. I rode my quad in places I would have never dreamed of riding. But for the most part I was following her and figured that she knew where to go. Mighty steep rocky ground. It helps to be part mountain goat to do this job. There is a fair amount of trees in places but 99% of them are now black. There is no market for burnt pine trees so they will just stay there and rot.

It was really heart warming to help someone who really needed the help. This was a lot better vacation than laying on a beach somewhere. Although after a week of fixing fence on that ground the idea of laying down anywhere sounds pretty good about now.

Glad you could help some people out and have a good time doing it.. and that your place didn't fall apart while you were fixing someone elses!

Good for you Dave! That sounds like a very gratifying vacation. My husband's former employer, would spend a couple of weeks each winter, (since Hurricane Katrina) in LA helping to rebuild homes and help with repairs.

I bet she and her family were really happy to have you there.

Jogeephus":2by9x0l2 said:
That is awfully good of you. How did you find this family to help? Through an organization or a group?

There is an organization call Okanogan Long Term Recovery. That is how I got hooked up with these people. Our group works primarily through them. But we also work out on our own. Last spring while I was over there I spent two days fencing with a rancher I knew. This spring I spent all my time at that one ranch but I did take time to look up another rancher and let him know about some donated fence supplies, where they were and how to get them.

Our group started out as a couple guys to go build some fence. This was the third trip there in the last year. Our total was about 70 people. Some there for a couple of days, some there for up to 10 days. I was there nine days. As a group we did a lot more than just build fence. We had three excavators, one mini, two skid steers, two dump trucks, a low boy truck and trailer, a full size shop truck,and a small fleet of quads. There was the heavy equipment and their support crew cleaning up burnt sites and digging out for new foundations. There was a painting crew, painting new homes. There was three fence crews. I am sure they did other things too. Oh, we had a crew of 4 or 5 ladies who kept us fed. They did an great job. As hard as I worked they still managed to make me gain weight. I was the lead on one of the fence crews. I felt that I got the best job and the best people to work with.

Dave, so glad that you could help this family, shows what kind of man you are. It makes one feel good to help someone that is trying to help themselves.

Dave":2unckatp said:
I had a great spring break. In more ways than one. No cows died while I was gone for 9 days. That is always a possibility with the boys taking care of things for me. While I was gone the boys (ages 33 and 35) bought four hogs which they brought to my house to live until they are ready to butcher so now I get to add feeding hogs to my chore list.

Sounds like you're getting a whole lot of bacon. I've learned how to make Italian and breakfast sausage from my pigs that I've bought and it's so much better than that store bought crap. The best part is that I buy 4H pigs from the fair so I let someone else raise it and hopefully help them reach some goal by buying their animal.

Sounds like your vacation was really nice. Where abouts were you? Got any pictures?

That was a great thing for you to do! We all need to spend more time helping others.

Latest posts