How far have you shipped a bull for natural service sire?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I am shopping hard right now for a bull to use next summer and just wondering how far to expand my search. Any input will be appreciated.

ohiosteve":2jqjtry4 said:
I am shopping hard right now for a bull to use next summer and just wondering how far to expand my search. Any input will be appreciated.

Read the shipping terms on the bull sales that interest you. They differ greatly. Some deliver free within a given radius and others guarantee a maximum charge almost anywhere.
I would look for the bull I like and then find a way to get him home!

I am looking for a bull that will compliment these 3 animals in particular. I want to use any of their heifer calves as replacements. They are small framed and I would like to keep them small but wouldn't mind if they were a little bigger. I am leaning towards a Hereford but would love to hear some other opinions. Thanks.
snowmobile_078.JPG

snowmobile_075.JPG

http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/ ... le_059.JPG

Steve why not go with a bull in a can for those 3. With such a small group you can synch them AI and then put heatindicators on them to see if any of them cycle again. Either that or try to find a local bull you like a lot and see if they will breed them for you.

BTW a herf bull would work great I just wouldn't want to feed him all year for such a small group

I think you would be better off with any bull that is from your own particular region of the country due to the time some individuals might need to become acclimated to a new environment.

JS

I have been thinking about syncronizing them and AI but my handling facilities are still under construction. Right now I can only catch 3 maybe 4 head at a time and I will have about 15 to breed so I thought a bull would be my best option. I still haven't ruled it out. I have made a few calls looking for a bull locally I am just trying to weigh all my options at this point and getting some opinions.

expensive hobby":1ifrgcui said:
They say that a horned hereford will give you bigger calves at weaning. I really do not know for sure since I have never used a horned hereford.

They also SAY a HH is better for calving ease.

I wouldn't buy a bull for fifteen head. For what you're going to spend on a good looking but un-proven bull, you can hire someone to build you some corals, breed the cows to a top notch PROVEN sire, cull anything that has to be bred more than three times and still come out ahead money wise and with better cattle for it. Of course the numbers will flex some based on what you are willing to spend on all of the above but it can work. :D

Ohiosteve,

If you are in KY-31 fescue then I would not leave the fescue belt unless you are willin gto put in the time acclimating the bull. Also if you are still into forage finishing I would find someone that actually does it and has some carcass data. Or check out something linebred like mrvictordomino. Real prepotency will suprise you.

my last bull i went a 1000 miles away to get him. and would do it again. the bulls have had no problems adapting from the rougher range conditions to our pastures, but i have always moved bulls west to east

Thanks for all the helpfull advice. I would love to be able to Ai all my cows this summer and understand the benefits but I can't see it happening this year yet, mainly due to my demanding job. I know what you mean about not having enough cows to justify a bull but my cattle are essentially a hobby and I am prepared to spend some money and hopefully start to improve my genetics and slowly build a herd of cows that will work for me. I have contacted some hereford breeders and plan on going that route but also found a farm with a few black baldy bulls that might fit my needs. Would a black baldy be a bad idea to breed to my angus cross animals or would I lose out on some of the hybrid vigor? Also would he cross well with my longhorn cows or would I be better off with hereford? AllForage I am not using KY-31 right now but have been reading up on it and am considering it. Also thanks for recommending mrvictordomino. He is a class act.

Latest posts