My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
A few photos I took the other day.

Cow on her 2nd calf, 1 day old heifer calf
Mums_photos_15-09-07_716.jpg

Cow around five or six years old, 2 day old bull calf
Mums_photos_15-09-07_722.jpg

The same cow closer up
Mums_photos_15-09-07_723.jpg

Young cow on her second calf - this is a bull calf born 1 month premature, the day I took the photo he was full term
Mums_photos_15-09-07_732.jpg

Young cow on her second calf - 2 day old heifer calf
Mums_photos_15-09-07_729.jpg

Rip em up, I'm ready :lol:

Beautiful pairs Keren!! I guess this is your spring
calving season----such pretty babies! :heart:

Always love seeing pics of your MG's Keren.

That last calf is very dark, is she a Black Factor, or will she be a chocolate?

Great lookin' pairs ;-)

There is not much to "rip up" , Keren. Nice looking pairs! What is your primary market? Terminal or Seedstock? What will the cows weigh at the time of the pictures? What is their body score? Do you feed them anything other than pasture when they are nursing calves? Do they typically breed back easily?

DOC HARRIS

Bek":11p09e8g said:

Great lookin' pairs ;-)

We have Murray Grey's coming....so I'm trying to learn everything I can about them. Now I'm stumped... is Black Factor a sire? or is it a color trait? Thanks

Wisteria Farms":3f4170jy said:
Bek":3f4170jy said:

Great lookin' pairs ;-)

We have Murray Grey's coming....so I'm trying to learn everything I can about them. Now I'm stumped... is Black Factor a sire? or is it a color trait? Thanks

It's a colour trait ;-) :D

Thanks everyone!

Bek, that calf will turn out just like her mother, a chocolate.

Doc:

- our animals are registered, so part of our breeding goal is to retain females in our own herd to better it. We sell some females into other established studs, but the majority of our females go to commercial herds as breeders. We leave 2 or 3 bull calves intact out of around 80 each year, which we will grow out to 18 months to 2 years. We will generally show them a little and put them over a few cows to see what their calves are like, before selling them either into other studs or to commercial herds. Steers are sent off around 12 - 16 months.

- the cows are pretty variable in frame size. We aim for our females to be around 6 to 6.5. The two chocolate cows would be around a 6.5, the silver cow with the premmie would be a 6.8 and the 6 year old silver cow is every bit 7 frame. She'd have to be the biggest girl we've got.

- for BCS, I'm not sure if we have the same system as you. We have a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 = emaciated and 5 = obese. We aim for the females to be in BCS 3 pre-joining and pre-calving. The first cow and the one with the premmie would be about a 3, the other two would be a 4.

- I'm no good at guess weights on females, and I hesitate to give you a weight on them, because it will be so inaccurate. I can guesstimate bulls and steers, but not females. Maybe someone else can have a guess?

- as far as feeding goes, you can probably see the state of the feed in that paddock. It's green, but its basically just ground cover. We have been offering free choice hay to get them through. Mind you, the 6 yo and the bottom chocolate cow were getting fat in a pasture similar to this without the hay! Those two can live off the smell of an oily rag - very easy doing animals.

- we generally dont have too many reproductive problems. We calve all year round and usually dont have problems with re-breeding intervals, calving problems, etc.

Hope that answered all your questions, sorry it turned out to be a novel lol

Keren - are you anywhere close to Michaelong Stud?
Murray Sutherland a neighbor? Also, could you tell
me what is in that little picture under your name?

Those are some beautiful cattle. The only fault I see is that they aren't mine!! I would love to have them. Have you ever tried crossing the MG's with Brahman? If so how did that work out?

OK Jeanne - the Sutherlands are around an hour and a half drive from me. I have had the priviledge (sp?) of showing for Murray several times, and others in the family. They have beautiful cattle, but IMHO they have gone a bit too extreme with them lately - much bigger frame size than we like to see.

lol my avatar is a week old angus calf I showed a few years ago, the picture is from the front and the angles distorted it a bit so it came out pretty funky looking. I'm off to Melbourne show in a few hours (its almost midnight here) and I will be there for a week and a half, but when I get back I will upload the bigger version for you.

texast, the MG X brahman is called a greyman. We dont have any ourselves, as our area has no need for indicus influence. But, they are some excellent cattle - I would not hesitate to go that way if I were further north. I will try to get some pictures for you when I get back from the show.

Latest posts