How do you beat or refute this type of propganda?

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
Here is a post from the bee forum I am on. Pretty much sums up the thoughts of the majority of the keepers on the forum

My bees had diarrhea and I tried to make them feel better. (quote)
Response:

Everyone has their own justification for what they are doing. Sometimes it is emotional and sometimes it is financial. The question or the concern is how far do you take it. It has become standard practice now for livestock to be feed antibiotics from birth knowing they will get sick in the future if you don't give it to them. You consume these antibiotics practically from birth because you are eating these livestock products. The more you consume the less effective the antibiotic becomes for the germs that you are trying to control. The end result is the antibiotic doesn't work anymore. So the next question becomes is this a good practice in the long run?

Is it better to let the livestock build up their own immunities to germs and destroy the ones that can't battle the germs on their own? You are obviously not going to do that with your own kids. However if you start off with a regiment of "war" on germs from birth the same thing will happen because your children have not built up any immunities to anything. You are seeing this right now. Allergists are making a killing because kids today are allergic to everything. Their immune system is totally messed up due to the "war" on germs and chemically treating for everything. So are we thinking short term or long term when it comes to treatments, bees and honey included?

I would rather beeks police themselves to a high standard then have the govt. keeping things in check. (quote)

Response
People have the same view in other hobbies like model aircraft. "Police themselves" is pretty much a pipe dream. That is exactly the same thing as do what ever you want. Which most people like at first until something goes wrong.

It's the power of the press. One person does something, gets an interview and states, "everyone does it" and now it's fact :tiphat: :tiphat:

The one who made that post has been so indoctrinated that you likely aren't going to change their mind, but I would sure post some clarification for the other readers. First off, correct the mis-information that all livestock receive antibiotics in their ration. And letting them know that you are a cattle producer and that you have first-hand knowledge of the industry. Then, maybe enlighten them about withdrawal periods and even if the withdrawal time wasn't properly followed, the antibiotic still wouldn't be concentrated enough in the muscle tissue to impact the person who ate it.

I don't know why people are so ready and willing to believe this "schtuff".

MO_cows":3aoqdua8 said:
The one who made that post has been so indoctrinated that you likely aren't going to change their mind, but I would sure post some clarification for the other readers. First off, correct the mis-information that all livestock receive antibiotics in their ration. And letting them know that you are a cattle producer and that you have first-hand knowledge of the industry. Then, maybe enlighten them about withdrawal periods and even if the withdrawal time wasn't properly followed, the antibiotic still wouldn't be concentrated enough in the muscle tissue to impact the person who ate it.

I don't know why people are so ready and willing to believe this "schtuff".
I agree. You won't be popular, but, um,...it's a bunch of bee keepers on the net. So whoop-tee-doo give em he//.

P.S. I have several friends who are bee keepers, I believe them to be absolutely necessary, and have the utmost respect for what they do. My post is ment to be a funny poke at bee keepers.

I think MoCows put it very well. Good advice.

As to model aircraft, my husband has been involved with RC planes for most his life. I've got to say, the two main model aircraft organizations in the US, A.M.A. and I.M.A.A. have very clear, strict regulations regarding the flying and handling of these aircraft. Local flying clubs must adhere to these regs, and also have their own rules and regulations in addtion to the national organizations.

As for bee keeping, I have a couple of friends who do it, and my cousin used to do it. Not an easy thing to do. one friend lost 3 of 5 hives last year. Anyhow, most of our food depends on pollinators and I love seeing honey bees at my fruit trees and around my vegetable garden.

Katherine

I agree with what's been said. Small corrections with facts might have some effect with time but some people are just plain stupid.

BTW - did the person ever stop the diarrhea in the bees? if so, how?

Well, like beating a dead horse. Others are trying but hard going.
Thanks for all the replies. Beekeepers are a different breed that is for sure

Jo, the diarrhea in question is probably dysentry caused by a spore called Nosema. Noseam Apis or Nosema Ceranea. It effects the gut, they go off their feed, can weaken and die. Sometimes adding pollen patties or syrup in itself will help to clear it up. But, there is a product called fumigian-B. Mixed with syrup fumigilan B will clear it up. The major problem is if one waits too long to assist it can take down a colony or weaken it allowing the varroa destructor mite to gain a serious foot hold causing more problems. Its it the same as in calves with primary and secondary infections.
Most put it in the syrup in a pail and invert on the hive. This is only done once in the spring (1 gallon) and in the fall (2.5 Gallons). If the dysentry is bad enough, they will not take the feed so we need to drench them. So unlike drenching a calf :)
When we drench the hive, basically it is pouring a specific amount (70 cc approx) on them once weak for 4 weeks (labour intensive with 100 or more hives). I used my mother inlaws turkey baster....works slick. Don't have to open the hive, stick the baster in the top entrance and squirt. I have used brand new ivermec guns, but it is hard on the hands because syrup is thick.
Hope the info helps

One man's propaganda is another man's truth. I think a lot depends on what people have been exposed to and how capable they are of thinking for themselves. A lot of people are gullible and will believe practically anything unless they've been exposed to the opposite view. Even then they're usually going to believe what they want to believe and ignore any facts that might get in their way.

Even though I've never farmed, I've been exposed to it quite a bit throughout my life and still am. I've always been thankful for that. I've never taken the risks that farmers and ranchers do, but I tend to think like they do because of my exposure to their way of life. Yes, some abuse their animals and some abuse the land, but those people are few and far between. For the most part, no one takes better care of their animals and their land than farmers and ranchers, whatever they're raising. They HAVE to because it's their livelihood and they WANT to because they love what they're doing. Some people will never understand that. In a way I feel sorry for them.

There are ways to keep hives strong without giving everything under the sun. We feed when we need to, treat with essential oils (immune booster) and treat for mites with oxalic as needed. Other than that they are on their own and kicking tail the last 4 years once we got over the ccd. Except for the oxalic, its all natural

I have learned something new here with this thread. I had no idea that bees could get diarrhea. I knew they could get 'sick' but had no idea about the diarrhea.

Katherine

Latest posts