Help Support CattleToday:

Toycowfarm

Reaction score
8074947331_8f7570dca4_z.jpg

8074941600_742a1f9df5_z.jpg

8074942244_d993d45810_z.jpg

8074943120_12b4f1ae2b_z.jpg
8074949547_1a55dd4b2f_z.jpg

We plan on selling these 5 heifers and I don't have a clue what they might bring at auction. The angus are about 1.25 year old and the others 1.75 and have been on pasture and alfalfa/grass hay. I have read there are sharp discounts for unfinished cattle.

Are these considered unfinished?
Choice, prime or something else?
I am guessing 1100 lbs or so. Close?
Market them as fed cattle or feeders?
Local market report below,

High Yielding Choice/ Strictly Prime Beef Steers & Heifers 112-116
Choice Beef Steers & Heifers 108-112
High Yielding Choice/ Strictly Prime Holstein Steers 105-112
Choice Holstein Steers 100-105
Unfinished Steers & Heifers sharp discounts

Looks like some Simi blood here.
Most $ would be to get some fat cover on them and sell as grass feed beef. Do you have access to balage or hayledge?

We don't have access to anything but hay. I'm sure for enough $$ I could find some, but would it be worth it?

Just trying to estimate what they might bring.

Toycowfarm

Not to dash your hopes, but what I am seeing are 8-900lb feeders unless the pictures are that deceiving.
I see no sign of fat and that makes them something less then prime.
Re:
Are these considered unfinished?
IMO, yes, but don't take that the wrong way. They are prime cattle for the feedlots.
In my area they would bring around $1 -1.05 per lb. at the action barn.

Are you selling direct to a slaughterhouse/butcher or through an action barn?
Please let us know how you make out.
Thanks
SL

Thanks,

Greg, The wife is the reason this city boy is farming. Not sure if thats good or bad yet.

Diesel, It is getting cold up here, 40 degrees or so when the pics were taken. Wood stove has been running for the last few weeks at night.

Sir Loin, I will sell some as freezer beef and what is left over will go to auction. I just wasn't sure how to market them, feeders or finished. The hereford sure looks stocky, but these are my first beef cows and I don't know enough to judge them . 1 of these will be going to slaughter end of oct along with an older cow. Trying to sell more freezer beef and have an appointment for 2 more 30 nov also if we need it. There must be a lot of cows going to slaughter cause the meat markets with kill floors are filling up fast.

Ga.prime, I have been told that by others, sure hope you are right.

UPDATE
We took 4 to a feeder auction yesterday and they averaged 1064 lbs, bringing $1.05/lb. I am happy with that. We watched the sale for a while and steers did better than heifers, with the best prices for 500-600 pounders. I think the next group we will take a little sooner.

I see I am a little late here, and I like the looks of your cattle.
What you really have to consider is that it is all a question of inputs and return. Just because the 500-600 pounders brought the best price doesn't mean that that is YOUR best solution. You have to figure out what you are putting into them, versus what you are getting out of them. Time of year will also impact your marketing decisions. Different types of cattle sell better at different times of the year too.

Latest posts