How do I tell temporary from permanent paralysis?

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
Cows are out on pasture, this specific one has a good growing calf on her side, about 2 months old.
Anyway, go out to the pasture and this cow is down with both her backlegs straight back. Managed to get her legs under her with rope and ATV, but she crawls ahead on her front knees and backlegs are again behind her.
Get the hip lift and the tractor, raise her on to her 4 feet. She can stand on her front legs, but her backlegs are a no go. Kept her on her feet for maybe 20 minutes so the calf could suck a bit, but still no power in the back.
I don't know what happened to her. She is a strong healthy cow, no limp or anything prior to this. All I can imagine is the bulls getting on her and she maybe slipped?
Question is, how can I tell if this is temporary or if something is broken/torn for good? Other then playing the waiting game.
Sigh, this year is crazy.

What CB said. The vet should be able to tell you tell if she's got a chance, and they can prescribe an anti-inflammatory that will improve her odds.

You could try pinching the skin on the back legs or poking with a needle or stick (be careful not to get kicked). If she reacts to it, she can still feel them and might get her strength back. If she can't feel them at all, that's a sign of some severe nerve damage and not a good omen for her recovery.

I think you should just eat her. Doesn't sound too good to me. Sounds like flaccid paralysis with legs behaving like that, prognosis would not be good.

Ken

How old is she? I have found that when their legs are straight out the back like you describe, the prognosis is not good. She will need to be lifted at least a couple times per day.

Latest posts