how do i register a new born

Help Support CattleToday:

Josh Rogers

Reaction score
i just had my first brahma heifer, her momma and daddy are registerd so i was wondering how i go about getting her the same papers. i realize that this is irresponsible of me for not finding this out sooner but she popped that heifer out on me tonight, very unexpected. i will post some pictures of the little cuty soon. i know how Alice loves pics of calves. :D

It's a fairly simple matter of joining the Brahman Association, and they will then send you out the paperwork to register your calf. They will also be able to tell you what fees are associated with membership and registering any animals you wish to register. I personally would wait until the calf is older and I could determine if she was good enough quality to warrant registration, but that is probably just me.

i looked at the website and i cannot pull up the registration info because my computer is lacking some program. (the computer i own was givin to me by the college and it is an el cheapo.) i want to sell her off of the farm and not at the sale barn with the rest of my commercial calfs. now i have to take fees into acount for my bottom line. DANG! i understand that the association has to make operating money though.

You probably need to be a member first to register.

Then you need to register the calf.

Thats not all. You will probably want to halter break it, get it on some type of feeding program, and get the vaccines update on her.

You will probably have better luck selling her if you entered her in one of you state association's consignment sales.

msscamp":3hdl8x24 said:
ilfarmer92":3hdl8x24 said:
You will probably want to halter break it......

Unless he's going to show the calf, why halter break it?

Msscamp; I wish someone would have halter broke all my animals it sure would be easier when you have to do anything with them. :)

so where might a close sale be for a kid that lives in Arkadelphia AR? i am about 1 hour from Texarkana. Halter breaking should start when?

msscamp":13d0m5c1 said:
ilfarmer92":13d0m5c1 said:

Exactly what hillsdown said. I take it as a responsibility of my own that nothing over 8 months not halter broke leaves my ranch unless its OK'ed by the buyer.

Lets set the scene... 11 year old 4-H'er buys a calf from me. I didn't halter break it and she was inexperienced and didnt break it too its full potential. Whole time at the fair its not leading properly and the 11 yr old isnt having as much fun as the other 4-H'ers.

OTHER PEOPLE'S VIEWS- Wow, what a wild calf- where'd she get that.

HER VIEWS- Wow, what a wild calf- I'll never buy from that old man again.

I think I will halter break my calves. Also makes them easier to handle out in pasture if they have been around humans before.

so where might a close sale be for a kid that lives in Arkadelphia AR? i am about 1 hour from Texarkana. Halter breaking should start when?

Not sure if the Brahman Assoc has a "field rep" but you may want to contact the Assoc and find the association in your state. You will need to become a member to consign in their sales.

I will see what I can find and if I do I will post them.

Josh Rogers":1y8fpwcc said:

If you know the owners of the pb Brahman cow call them and see if they can "mentor" you through the process.Since she was just born there really is know rush to register immediately and I think most associations have the same fee for up to a year old and then it increases to have them registered.As far as the selling you have plenty of time to look into options.And the halter breaking I was just kidding around with my earlier post but if you feel that it will help her sell and if her pedigree is such that she perhaps could go the show direction then you can start as early as a week old by handling and getting them used to a halter but I wouldn't be too aggressive as it is still baby.So if you want to halter break and you have the time to invest then go ahead if not it is not a nessecity.Right now I would concentrate on nutrition and health of the calf and worry about the rest later.

ilfarmer92":1zwjgnov said:
msscamp":1zwjgnov said:
ilfarmer92":1zwjgnov said:

Exactly what hillsdown said. I take it as a responsibility of my own that nothing over 8 months not halter broke leaves my ranch unless its OK'ed by the buyer.

To each their own.

Latest posts