How do I cope with Butchering..???

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't have a problem butchering a steer or heifer when they are ready to butcher I have been involved with that most of my life , I will admit that it really bothers me when a calf dies at a young age, I usually blame myself even though I tried and I know there wasn't anything else I could do.

smallrancher":161aglut said:
Time to grow up and realize you are at the top of the food chain. This is how it works, while we love our animals, and treat them humanely, they are not people, they are animals. Now if you want to have cattle, DEAL WITH IT.

That was a bit harsh.....no wait real harsh!!! You could have just said that we are at the top of the food chain and left it at that!!!!!!!! I am sure if you were having a hard time with something you would not appreciate it much if someone said to you "DEAL WITH IT" and that it is "TIME TO GROW UP"!!!!!!!! :mad: :frowns:

TexasSimmentals - Thank you SOOO Much for that last statement..!!! :)

msscamp - I meant "Babe" as a Baby-Cow, LOL Not a human Babe. :)

WAguy - I know you didn't imply it, and by no means am I trying to come down on you, but not all women are after your wallet. :) My Hubby gets to stay home and take care of the kiddos (temporarily). I work. :) Until we move, then he's planning to find a job out there. :) But we don't have much, never did. Hubby didn't have an apartment, or even a car when we first started dating, I never married him for his money, as he never had any (at ALL LoL). Just for HIM. :) We achieved a LOT over the last 10 years, and are buying our first home! :) (Oh yeah, and a COW!) LoL YEY!

Everyone Else - Thank you guys so much for all of your input. I really appreciate it. :) It definitely gives me some insight and shows me that I need to, somehow, "Re-Program my Brain". LOL

Sorry to get off-topic, but I've learned alot of life lessons from cows.

I was responding to the point I've seen expressed several times on this board. That a cow doesn't really like you, they only like the feed you give them. Or they only like it when you scratch them, etc, they dont't actually like you. Well, heck, you've got to do something they like - you can't expect unconditional love from a cow! Just funny that some people's feelings are hurt that it's the feed bucket the cow likes, not they, themselves. Well, the bucket is part of THEM. Without THEM, the bucket would not have arrived full of feed.

We've all got to give something to get something, though we'd prefer to get it for free. I don't mind being a wallet, or a feeder - I've got to be something! Can't just sit in the lazy chair drinking beer and watching TV all day and expect everyone to adore me.

I think unconditional love is pretty rare even among humans. Sure your husband is not working now, but suppose he decides he never wants to go back to work. Might become less attractive.

I like cows cuz they give me stuff, and they like me cuz I give them stuff.

Okay, enough of this.

TexasSimmentals":2h3zcztn said:
smallrancher":2h3zcztn said:
Time to grow up and realize you are at the top of the food chain. This is how it works, while we love our animals, and treat them humanely, they are not people, they are animals. Now if you want to have cattle, DEAL WITH IT.

That was a bit harsh.....no wait real harsh!!! You could have just said that we are at the top of the food chain and left it at that!!!!!!!! I am sure if you were having a hard time with something you would not appreciate it much if someone said to you "DEAL WITH IT" and that it is "TIME TO GROW UP"!!!!!!!! :mad: :frowns:

I disagree. Based on the original posters comments, Smallrancher was right on target as far as I can tell. As for someone telling me to grow up and deal with something I was having a hard time dealing with - I just might appreciate their honesty very much. I have had a person or two tell me that exact thing before, they were generally right on target, and it was exactly what I needed to hear! ;-) The first rule of raising animals for food is to understand that they are animals, and they WILL be killed and butchered - either for that persons consumption, or for someone elses. If one can't get past that basic principle, then they best be sticking to buying their meat at the local grocery store, and not be looking at raising their own meat. It's as simple as that.

Can we just "drop" the whole topic all together......I mean we have 4 pages of input and thoughts.......some good some bad :roll: ......but anyways I don't want to start anything on here..... :D :D :D

WAguy":3vta4l0t said:
Sorry to get off-topic, but I've learned alot of life lessons from cows.

I was responding to the point I've seen expressed several times on this board. That a cow doesn't really like you, they only like the feed you give them. Or they only like it when you scratch them, etc, they dont't actually like you. Well, heck, you've got to do something they like - you can't expect unconditional love from a cow! Just funny that some people's feelings are hurt that it's the feed bucket the cow likes, not they, themselves. Well, the bucket is part of THEM. Without THEM, the bucket would not have arrived full of feed.

We've all got to give something to get something, though we'd prefer to get it for free. I don't mind being a wallet, or a feeder - I've got to be something! Can't just sit in the lazy chair drinking beer and watching TV all day and expect everyone to adore me.

I think unconditional love is pretty rare even among humans. Sure your husband is not working now, but suppose he decides he never wants to go back to work. Might become less attractive.

I like cows cuz they give me stuff, and they like me cuz I give them stuff.

Okay, enough of this.

I like this philosophy. Simple and true. :D

Frankly this world would be alot better off if more people would have a hand in where their food came from instead of everyone eating hamburgers while their new leather shoes push the gas pedals of their Humane Society and PETA stickered SUV's. So I say Kudo's :clap: for taking a step in the right direction. I actually feel better because I know what these animals went through. They are free to graze and do whatever they want for the year plus they are on this planet. I cant say the same for the supermarket crap. That in itself makes every bite go down easier.

SCRUBS620":2903h366 said:
I actually feel better because I know what these animals went through. They are free to graze and do whatever they want for the year plus they are on this planet. I cant say the same for the supermarket crap. That in itself makes every bite go down easier.

Granted I've only been at this business for a little less then 50 years, but animals in feedlots are generally better fed and and their helth looked after better then a whole lot of backyard calves that the owners are so proud of. A calf doesn;t know the difference between grazing and a feedlot. They're fed and don;t suffer, that's about all they're aware of in life.

dun":yeoz4f5s said:
SCRUBS620":yeoz4f5s said:
I actually feel better because I know what these animals went through. They are free to graze and do whatever they want for the year plus they are on this planet. I cant say the same for the supermarket crap. That in itself makes every bite go down easier.

Granted I've only been at this business for a little less then 50 years, but animals in feedlots are generally better fed and and their helth looked after better then a whole lot of backyard calves that the owners are so proud of. A calf doesn;t know the difference between grazing and a feedlot. They're fed and don;t suffer, that's about all they're aware of in life.

I was not talking about the majority of the animals processed, but you cant deny the percentage that are not treated well. I know alot of great beef comes out of those feed lots but we are talking about supermarket beef here. Its not very high up on the ladder in the beef world. There are buyers at the auctions I go to that will buy anything going through the ring as long as it is walking. They just want to get their truck full and shipped as fast as they can. Even if its just one animal in a thousand I dont have to take that chance if I know where the animal is coming from. No disrespect intended.

SCRUBS620":17gvvctk said:
I was not talking about the majority of the animals processed, but you cant deny the percentage that are not treated well. I know alot of great beef comes out of those feed lots but we are talking about supermarket beef here. Its not very high up on the ladder in the beef world.

How do you think "supermarket beef" is raised and processed different then the "great beef"?
It still comes form the feedlot.

dun":u8aa65wg said:
SCRUBS620":u8aa65wg said:
I was not talking about the majority of the animals processed, but you cant deny the percentage that are not treated well. I know alot of great beef comes out of those feed lots but we are talking about supermarket beef here. Its not very high up on the ladder in the beef world.

How do you think "supermarket beef" is raised and processed different then the "great beef"?
It still comes form the feedlot.

Like I said I see these buyers load up their trucks week after week with the stuff that everyone else is trying to get rid of. They ship directly to a processor. i have heard them many times say "We dont have a truck leaving til Friday, hope they make it" I was not really referring to feedlot beef in particular when I made my original statement. Its all the other stuff that gets in. It is no secret that the restuarants get the best stuff first; the supermarkets are not very high on the list for that.

Then we can all join hands and sing the PETA song ??

Is that the People Eating Tasty Animals' song? ;-)

1. You don't make a pet out of it.
2. You go to the store and look at the price of beef.
3. The animal standing in your pen or pasture looks tastier every day.

Well......

I have to admit that I had a VERY hard time trying to convince myself that I would accept having the calf butchered, but you know, it's part of life I guess. And he WILL be nearly full grown at 9-10 months. :) And he would have been spoiled and well fed.

I know you will all LAUGH your butts off at me, but recently, I have been having a LOT of really weird dreams of a calf, and it growing up, and then parting with him, telling him good-bye, that it will be quick and painless, and that he wont have to go to the slaughterhouse and suffer. And then I am enjoying him on my plate, and although I still felt guilty about it, I think my brain is preparing me for the inevidable. LOL

So now, I think I'm prepared for a Little Bull Calf also...
I dont have a problem with that at all, we'll just grow him, then hubby will take him away, and bring home the meat.
As long as I dont see any feet, eyes, tail, head, or anything that looks familiar, I am going to be PEACHY-Keen with the idea of eating what we "grew".
And I think after accepting it, a few weeks later, his pelt will look AWESOME on our living room floor! LOL
We have already decided that we are not going to waste a single piece of it, not even blood, as I make the BEST European Blood-Sausage in the WORLD! LOL (Sorry, LOL)
And even the Hooves are going to be WELL loved and enjoyed by both the dogs! LOL

And I know Hubby is REALLY looking forward to BBQ-ing! LOL

You know what they say about Alaska, doesnt matter what time of the year it is, it's ALWAYS a Good time for a BBQ.!!! LOL

a few weeks later, his pelt will look AWESOME on our living room floor

Are you going to butcher him and tan his hide yourselves?
Because when I take a steer to the butcher, I don't get his hide back.

Oh, our friend is going to be doing the Butchering.
He makes it quick and painless.
I won't take it to anyone else. :)

Yes, we will get every little piece of it back.
I just dont want to see certain parts. :) LoL

Latest posts