How Close are the Neighbors?

Help Support CattleToday:

I live on a high spot in the flood plain. There is 8 houses on this little hump. So the neighbors are real close. But if you walk out past my barn there isn't any thing to the top of the bluff on the other side of the river which is over a 1/2 mile away.

Interesting discussion. This is something I've wrestled with ever since we acquired our place almost a year ago. There are no houses on the property and the nearest neighbor is almost a half mile away although there is a state highway that runs along the length of the property. We live 14 miles away and every evening when the chores are done and it's time to go home I hate to leave. I often will spend several minutes at the end of the day sitting in the truck and daydreaming about how nice it would be not to leave, not to have to load up all my tools and haul them back and forth, and to be able to spend time there when the work was finished. My wife and I have discussed building there many times. However, I'm nearly 52 now and my wife is in no way a farm/ranch type person. If anything were to happen to me, she would be stuck there alone or would have to sell it to move. The place has been in her family for nearly a century and I hope to leave it to my boys. As I said, it's isolated and pitch dark there at night, no place for an older city gal alone. If only I could be guaranteed another 20-30 years! :D

Hasbeen":1487ttvw said:
Interesting discussion. This is something I've wrestled with ever since we acquired our place almost a year ago. There are no houses on the property and the nearest neighbor is almost a half mile away although there is a state highway that runs along the length of the property. We live 14 miles away and every evening when the chores are done and it's time to go home I hate to leave. I often will spend several minutes at the end of the day sitting in the truck and daydreaming about how nice it would be not to leave, not to have to load up all my tools and haul them back and forth, and to be able to spend time there when the work was finished. My wife and I have discussed building there many times. However, I'm nearly 52 now and my wife is in no way a farm/ranch type person. If anything were to happen to me, she would be stuck there alone or would have to sell it to move. The place has been in her family for nearly a century and I hope to leave it to my boys. As I said, it's isolated and pitch dark there at night, no place for an older city gal alone. If only I could be guaranteed another 20-30 years! :D

My wife is a country person, but I have wondered about some of the same things. Rather when me and her got older and maybe could not handle such a big place. Or I died and she could not handle it.

I have been looking for a smaller house in town to buy. I am looking at a couple cities that are around 25 miles from us. I want to buy a house and use it as a rent house. Fix it up as handicap accessible so maybe I can rent it to an older person that could benefit from it. Then if me and wife or just her need it in future it is there and paid for. Let the renters pay for it for me. If we never need it then it will stay a rent property.

I know how fast things can change. Earlier this year my 85 year old grandma who worked as a legal secretary till she was 75. Fell at a local store due to their auto doors closing to soon and hitting her. She drove herself to the store, ambulance took her to hospital and an Ambulance took her to a nursing home. One fall and she went from self sufficient to needing help going to bathroom.

My neighbors are +/- 300 yds from me. And they have the high ground above me. And they are fond of fireworks and firearms.
But they are NOT cooking meth. Thank heaven for small favors.

closest neighbors are divided by almost 2,000 acres, great people though...No visible neighbors or stores or anything...wouldn't mind having neighbors closer, I know everyone around here and I believe they would all make great neighbors :)

nenmrancher":2by3j8k8 said:
neighbors? what are those when you live 16 miles from town and the nearest place with someone living on it is around 10 miles away.

This would be my ideal situation. That or live in Mountains in Co, or maybe Alaska where the plane came in once a month to bring me supplies.

aplusmnt":349bpmqr said:
nenmrancher":349bpmqr said:
neighbors? what are those when you live 16 miles from town and the nearest place with someone living on it is around 10 miles away.

This would be my ideal situation. That or live in Mountains in Co, or maybe Alaska where the plane came in once a month to bring me supplies.

Be kinda hard to be the Commode Cowboy in those locations.

Caustic Burno":1vgbs94n said:
aplusmnt":1vgbs94n said:
nenmrancher":1vgbs94n said:

Be kinda hard to be the Commode Cowboy in those locations.

Yea I will have to wait till a rich relative dies and leaves me some money or once these cows kick in and get me rich.

My original plan of moving to Texas to start a petting farm got scratched. Seems my wife really loves me and does not want to be a widow. :lol:

Nearest neighbor is about 3 miles away until hunting season rolls around. I have a 3 mile stretch of land that borders public land run by the Bureau of Land Management. I tell you what that is the biggest headache a person can ever have when it comes to outside people. No offense to any hunters on this board but it seems to me that a majority of them are dumber then a box of rocks.

novaman":dwlms3gg said:
Nearest neighbor is about 3 miles away until hunting season rolls around. I have a 3 mile stretch of land that borders public land run by the Bureau of Land Management. I tell you what that is the biggest headache a person can ever have when it comes to outside people. No offense to any hunters on this board but it seems to me that a majority of them are dumber then a box of rocks.

It is hard enough keeping hunters off of you land, I could not imagine the headaches that could arise when you are adjacent to Public hunting land.

Just a few bad hunters can leave a big sour taste in your mouth. Most have respect for your property. We only allow one guy to hunt on our property besides my Son. And he is so thankful he helps my son set up his stand, has helped teach what to look for in hunting etc..

I have neighbors on either side of me. Joe, the guy to the east of us, is a great guy. Lets us graze our animals on his pasture just to keep it nibbled down. He's selling, though, cause he's retired and moving. I dread to see what we get over there. I have a feeling that it will either be horse people or old car people. Or both. He's got nice pipe fence that just screams horses.

On the other side of us are our neighbors that have the pool. They also have her parents living in an RV on the lawn and now her brother, whom I know has stolen tools from my husband, is living in another RV on the property. They keep everything nice, but their lawn looks like a campground. We don't bother them and they don't bother us. Although I have had calves get through the fence and onto their place and they appreciate it none too much.

Have a hermit up on the hill above us...the state took the neighbor's place by our gate on the road for the new freeway and only a little over an acre from us. Have another neighbor across a powerline easement but never see him and share a fence with the neighbor that we lease pasture from can see her place but can't hear anything.
We live pretty close to town so have the best of both worlds.....I guess.
DMc

Well I guess you can not trust your average Crank head. We went to close on the 4 acres and the lady did not like the numbers. Turned out she owed around $2,000.00 in back property taxes. She thought her check would be 2 grand more.

She would not sign or take the check. Trying to get me to pay more now.

I am going to have to go to lawyer to see how binding the contract we signed is.

I gave her $1,000.00 cash when we signed the contract and I do not think she has that to give me back. Plus we put in the contract that would both parties would owe $1,000 in liquid-able damages if they did not fulfill their part of the contract.

So I think for sure she would have to give me $2,000.00 plus pay the cost of title prep.

I just hope their is a way to make her sale, I do not want my money back. I want the land.

Latest posts