How and when do you get children envolved in Cattle Shows

Help Support CattleToday:

theres always little kids around our fair with bucket calves who show in open division. i dont know if any of them have been that young, but prolly close. as long as your workin with a calm animal that you trust, you could prolly get her a little bottle baby.

Because we don't have junior and open shows, kids here show right along with the adults. There are a lot of kids who have been leading since they were able to walk. There are always young kids (even as young as 2 or 3) leading calves at foot (calves on cows that are shown). I know one kid who has been to melbourne show every year since she was born - the first time she was 7 weeks old, now she's 12! If your daughter is keen, there is no reason she shouldn't be involved, unless regulations at your shows specify that handlers must be a certain age (at a couple of shows here minimum age is 7).

In longhorn shows, in the youth, we have a Pee Wee showmanship division. Kids up to the age of 7 show, and this is the only class where parents are allowed to come into the ring and help the kids show. Its really great, kind of breaks them into the showing. I started showing when I was 4. I showed in Pee Wee to start the show, then showed two by myself in the regular part of the show. It was an experience. I still remember parts of it, and we have the video for the parts I don't. I say its never too early to start kids in showing. As long as the parents know what is going on and only give kids that size/age animals they are supremely confident in letting the kid handle.

Ryan

In Arkansas, kids have to be nine years old to show at our county, district and state fair. You can jackpot if you're younger but you have to be at least nine. The main thing with showing calves is giving a kid responsibility of taking care of that animal, such as measuring up feed, feeding, watering, haying, doctoring, breaking, etc. That is something they need to be mainly in charge of. It takes a family to help at times, but the kid needs to be the main one in charge of the animal. Keep her going along, she'll be old enough before you know it. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. She is very intelligent for her age. She does love to go with us when we do the head count every day. Bless her heart, she even will help you count them. I will have to check into the showing of our area, and get her involved in any form of calf care when we do it. Luckily, all of our calves are with their mothers.

Not-So-Plain-Country Girl":17kyz60e said:
I know I may be a little to eager, but how old does a child need to be to be taught to show cattle? My daughter is almost 3 years of age. She LOVES our cows.

4H - find one and get involved.

It is excellent.

Also - for the real young kids some 4H groups will run "the best bucket calf" competitions. Ours has a max weight limit of 250 pounds for the calf. Makes it safer for the youngsters.

Call them and ask, 8)

Bez>

honestly i learned how to show when i was 7 but i have been around cattle all of my life. but i'd get her a little bottle baby and let her mess around with it. but down here you have to be 7 to show pee-wee beef breeding which is a class for the 7 yr olds to show thier heifers and little bulls. and if i remember right there is an age limit on the calves too.

Our 4H only allows 9 years old and older start showing, I have a six year old that I bought her 2 bottle babies, she loves feeding them and she helps walk them. however i do not let her be out in the open when we ae breaking her big sisters steers because thats just to dangerous

Not-So-Plain-Country Girl":24kaaz3n said:
I know I may be a little to eager, but how old does a child need to be to be taught to show cattle? My daughter is almost 3 years of age. She LOVES our cows.

4-H - is the way to go for young children. Here in texas we have Clover Kids (I don't know if other states have the same thing or not). You have to be 9 or in the 3rd grade to show in junior shows (I think that's right). As for Open shows, there's no age limit, although there aren't that many that show Open unless they show junior. Our Clover Kids get involved first by showing goats at local open shows. We don't have bucket classes close to us, but I know there are other areas that have them. Good luck, it's a great way to raise your kids. Everybody becomes family.

Thank you so much!! I could not imagine not living on a farm or being married to a farmer. I do think it makes a family stronger!! By the way, does it matter what breed of cattle you show? We raise beef cattle.

It's important to remember they are little kids. I'm all for having kids show but I'm usually more concerned about the other people's cattle in the ring (especially at a county fair where they aren't broke very well). They may not be used to little kids and plow them over or spook. One bad experience and the kid won't want to show anymore.

Not-So-Plain-Country Girl":3vm2eswv said:
Thank you so much!! I could not imagine not living on a farm or being married to a farmer. I do think it makes a family stronger!! By the way, does it matter what breed of cattle you show? We raise beef cattle.

In some cases it does matter. At smaller shows you can usually show whatever. At major shows, they don't always have a breed class for everything. I would contact the local county agent to find out the details. I have family in Mt. Juliet. If you live close I could do some calling for you to get some specifics.

Latest posts