Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

shorthorn cowgirl":2lom9i93 said:
Good luck Jay. Go win the show!! :D
Thanks. Unfortunately, I didn't win. But it's nice to know there were good thoughts with me. :)

Hey Jay, We went too an didnt win. But thats ok we learned alot.
I was surprized everyone was nice an help us first timers out.

It was an experience we want forget.

When we got their we was told to hold water an feed from him. We(they) was trying to get him in the middle weight class. He missed it by 5 lbs. So he was in the bottom of the heavy weight class.
So we didnt get pulled.
We was trying to get him back up on weight but he wouldnt eat. So he lost a few more pounds. He was filled out through. An alot of people realy liked him. Just not the one that counts.

He will show at our County show April 2nd. Hopefully we can get him back up an eatting. As of today he still isnt eatting his feed to good but will eat hay. WE gave him Fastrack today an have been drenching him. Maybe scence it has cooled off he will go to eatting again.

What do some of you do to your steers when you get them back home from a long show?? Do they keep eatting good or slack off?? I seen some with ring worms at the show. Do any of you wash or spray your steers with anythig to keep them from catching anything from the show?? Just wondering.

Tabor":1fl65t8d said:
When we got their we was told to hold water an feed from him. We(they) was trying to get him in the middle weight class. He missed it by 5 lbs. So he was in the bottom of the heavy weight class.
So we didnt get pulled.
We was trying to get him back up on weight but he wouldnt eat. So he lost a few more pounds. He was filled out through. An alot of people realy liked him. Just not the one that counts.
Same thing sort of happened to me. They wanted to pull him down to the middleweights but we missed it by far. Since he already didn't have adequate fill on him, trying to pull him down just ruined any chance of getting an fill back on him. It's alright though...I had fun while I was there. Sorry you didn't place better but at least you've learned in the process! Good luck at your county!

He will show at our County show April 2nd. Hopefully we can get him back up an eatting. As of today he still isnt eatting his feed to good but will eat hay. WE gave him Fastrack today an have been drenching him. Maybe scence it has cooled off he will go to eatting again.
IMHO, drenching won't do him no good. I had a Simbrah...which have been known to be finicky. This steer was true to his origins and I found the best way to get him back on feed was a little probios and a good amount of hay. Never drenched him once to get him back on. Sometimes, it's just the stress of having all that water and feed pulled from him and then struggling to put it all back on that gets to em. Probios has lots of microorganisms in it that will help get his tummy feeling better again.

What do some of you do to your steers when you get them back home from a long show?? Do they keep eatting good or slack off?? I seen some with ring worms at the show. Do any of you wash or spray your steers with anythig to keep them from catching anything from the show?? Just wondering.
I let mine just be a cow, so to speak. (Or a steer, excuse me) Normal feed and hay...don't get him out of the pen to work him. Just turn him out at night to run around with his pals and within a couple days I get back on my schedule. As far as ring worm...I'm surprised yours hasn't come down with it yet? I've never sprayed or washed my steer with anything to prevent it...just kept washing him like regular and didn't have a problem with it. It was when I skipped a couple washings that he caught it. When he did catch it, I found that a bit of iodine worked better in drying it out and treating it than the fungicide from the feed stores did. I got the iodine from a feed store...you just put some on during the daily rinse and rinse it off once you're done with the rest of his body.

Thanks Jay for your info.

We gave him more hay today. He is eatting 12 lbs at a feeding now.

Do you keep your probios in the refrig? We wasnt an was told too. I know it says keep cool on the package but thought scence it was cool in the barn it would be good enough but guess not. Still learning.

Tabor":w1x267k6 said:
Thanks Jay for your info.

We gave him more hay today. He is eatting 12 lbs at a feeding now.

Do you keep your probios in the refrig? We wasnt an was told too. I know it says keep cool on the package but thought scence it was cool in the barn it would be good enough but guess not. Still learning.
It's really not necessary. I leave mine in my showbox in the barn. 12 lbs per feeding is pretty good. Glad he's getting back on feed.

Just got back. I absolutely enjoyed that arena and facilities. It was air conditioned!!! Well organized and operated, we will go back next year.

happer":3lesrpgd said:
Just got back. I absolutely enjoyed that arena and facilities. It was air conditioned!!! Well organized and operated, we will go back next year.
I loved it to. I prefer it's setup to Fort Worth's...especially since you don't have to go outside to get to the arena.

Latest posts