Houston Brahman Show Results

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Another year down. It was lots of fun. Lots of really good animals, but nothing new in the Brahman breed, the judge was picking brands. No surprise. My heifer was 15th in class and bull was 5th in class. Im fine with that, Im not out there to win, I just enjoy being there and showing. Even the breeder I got my heifer from told me the judge was picking brands instead of animals.

There were LOTS of problems with the mats on the ground and animals slipping and sliding and falling on the concrete. I saw countless animals hit the ground this week. A lot of the mats were torn up and leaving slick concrete. Its a real big problem and you gotta be really careful around there. And to think the morons said they designed the building having the livestock show in mind.

I had fun for the most part, other than being sick with 103.5 fever half of the week. Lots of good people to spend the week with. Im not so excited about the Jr show in a couple weeks, not gonna be as fun as the open show.

Congratulations on your placings. It seems both the Fort Worth Brahman show and the Houston Brahman show placings went by brands. I'm guessing V8 took the top places? Good luck when at the junior show. I'm headed up to Houston tomorrow evening...my show is Thursday.

I didnt watch all of the shows, but I dont think V8 won a ton. Most of it seemed to be Hudgins. I know I sure heard the announcer saying Hungerford, TX a lot, which is where V8, Hudgins and Heritage are located, so most went to those. Honestly I wasnt that impressed with V8's animals this year. I havent seen them on the show circuit this year either, so Im guessing they had something going on. Of course with some of these huge ranches they have some really amazing animals that deserve to be placed right at the top, but there are quite a few that really shouldnt. In my heifer class, it was a Heritage heifer that one. I think that was definately the right call there. The top 3 in that class were just amazing, it should have been easy to pick those 3 out. Farther down the line, they were all mixed up and some did good that shouldnt have.

Im sure I will be against a lot of these same animals in the Jr show, they will just be under different owners. Was that way last year, wouldnt expect different.

Really? We had one V8 heifer in out county this heifer that beat out all the bred heifers. She was very nice but at the same time, IMHO, I think she was too green to take grand Brahman. But that's how it went. How do those same animals return to the junior show with different owners? Don't heifers have to be registered with one exhibitor prior to show time?

The ranches just find some kid and switch the papers around so the kid shows it at Jr shows. Last year I showed against the same animals at every show. Open show one belonged to a ranch in Texas, then Jr show it belonged to a girl in Louisiana. They just swap ownership so the kid shows it then switch it back. Only the state and national shows have a deadline that says the kid has to own the animal by a certain date, but that doesnt help the problem any.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2z14z4kf said:
The ranches just find some kid and switch the papers around so the kid shows it at Jr shows. Last year I showed against the same animals at every show. Open show one belonged to a ranch in Texas, then Jr show it belonged to a girl in Louisiana. They just swap ownership so the kid shows it then switch it back. Only the state and national shows have a deadline that says the kid has to own the animal by a certain date, but that doesnt help the problem any.
I see. You got any pics of your brahman heifers?

cowboy13":2z14z4kf said:
I thunk what you need to do is just make a V8 brand and brand your calves.
:lol: I wish things could be that easy sometimes.

cowboy13":3ny3rf2m said:
It can be, don't you have and EASY button like me?
:lol: Funny thing is one of my ag teachers actually does have one from Staples.

In the gray show the winners were Hudgins with a cow/calf for Champion and Tic Tac Toe for Reserve. V8 had calf champion, hudgins had intermediate and senior champion, tic tac toe was jr. champion.

in the gray bull show v8 had champion and hudgins had reserve. hudgins won calf, jr and intermediate champion and v8 was senior champion.

buckle_bunny":1d6zj7hv said:
In the gray show the winners were Hudgins with a cow/calf for Champion and Tic Tac Toe for Reserve. V8 had calf champion, hudgins had intermediate and senior champion, tic tac toe was jr. champion.

in the gray bull show v8 had champion and hudgins had reserve. hudgins won calf, jr and intermediate champion and v8 was senior champion.
Thanks for those results.

It is important to clarrify that some of the Hudgins cattle are owned by children of the Hudgins family--therefore, when it is a junior show it is in the kids' name. It is just easier to stall with one "fitter" name than a bunch of different names--to include V8 and Tic Tack Toe (TTT). Jacqulin Cawley is a granddaughter of Max & Shirley so at open shows---it says TTT. I do not have all the exact results but the Grand Cow (Hudgins) is in fact solely owned by Hudgins--I think Hudgins Division. GREAT COW/CALF pair!!!!! She was Senior Champion as well. Reserve Cow ---says TTT but I think she is one of Brandy's heifer (another granddaughter), she is not a junior. I could go into a lot of details--if I had them but when entering a Open show it is just easier to list the animals and half the time they do not get the owners correctly listed. If they get the owner correctly listed--then they do not stall the animals together. That is what happened to us a couple of years ago. Had cattle in two different spots becuase we listed kids separate rather than ranch name. So I understand why there is a problem. I recommend for Houston just to list one name--and do not worry about owner. I really do not think there is any ownership requirement on listing the animal's owner for the open show so it is just easier to put ranch name on it.

Stopped by the V8 ranch and purchased a Shorthorn steer for a friend of mine while we were in Houston. They have got some nice Brahman stock. I pretty much drooled the whole way in and the whole way out. Their shorthorns are decent..but they're still improving in that way. But those Brahmans...wow. I was very impressed.

Yes, V8 does have some amazing cattle. So does Hudgins, Tic Tac Toe, and all of those big ranches. For some reason I personally dont think their show string at Houston was as good as last years, but hey, Im no cattle judge.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":37y667co said:
Yes, V8 does have some amazing cattle. So does Hudgins, Tic Tac Toe, and all of those big ranches. For some reason I personally dont think their show string at Houston was as good as last years, but hey, Im no cattle judge.
You're right. As far as I've heard, they only came away with one Grand? And that was the cow/calf pair, correct?

Latest posts