• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hot spot in round bale ok to feed?

ufo_chris

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Location
ohio
Hi,I tried searching but no answers.
Have a round bale outside I was feeding from by hand and discovered it got wet and has a hot spot now.
It's kinda moldy on that spot and peeling as much as I could away it's still hot .
So I worked around it and only fed the good part but am worried now since I started feeding from it a few days ago and just noticed it.
I feed 3 head with it ,usually lasts a week or so.
On the other hand I'm thinking isn't that kinda what balage is but have no experience with it.
Thank you for any answers.
 

Son of Butch

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2010
Messages
6,405
Reaction score
18
Location
Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
You don't want to force feed moldy hay/feed, by feeding them the good part you'll be fine.
Balage is wet, but fermented similar to haylage or silage, so that it doesn't mold.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Unless they are way under fed they will eat around the funky stuff.
 

MRRherefords

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2017
Messages
769
Reaction score
0
Location
Near the Mason Dixon line
I know that this really has nothing to do with the hot hay question, but I thought I would mention this. When we fed hay last year, we accidently fed a round bale with some pine needles on it. Several days later I walked into the barnyard to find a calf that was barely alive and about 40 LBS. and at least a month premature. It died a few days later. We were told that the pine needles serve as a poison and sort of like an abortion med. Since then we have been checking our bales closely for anything of that nature.
 

Latest posts

Top