HOSS and Jogeephus's Most Excellent Adventure

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have been off the boards for a few days because I have been down to south Georgia visiting Jogeephus. He invited my son and I down for some deer culling. It seemed that he had a few extry running around. Anyway we camped out on Jogeephus's farm and had a whale of a time. Jogeephus was the most gracious host I have ever seen. He treated us like royalty way beyond what we expected or deserved. He is a man of many talents. Excellent cattleman, timberman, philosopher, cook (chef) and he knows deer hunting. He has several beautifull farms and runs some great looking cattle. We checked his bred heifers with him on Friday and got to watch one give birth to a nice red baldy. He does have two brangus cows that he had me in mortal fear of. They looked meaner than a nest of stirred up hornets. He also has a Braford x salers x angus x jersey cow that weans off a 900 pound calf every year. :nod: She had almost perfect confirmation. She was close to calving but didn't while I was there. I would have loved to have seen that calf :D

We harvested 4 deer that will fill the freezer for the winter. We got to know a great guy and cattleman from the board. I just hope I can return the favor one day and have him and his family visit me up in Tennessee.

:oops: Thanks. It was good to finally meet one of my friends on the board. For someone who was at one time called an "elitist" ;-) , I found Hoss to be very down to earth, intelligent, an extremely good shot (2 kills at 300+ yards) and a good caring father - in summary a person of kindred spirit. We did have a good time only the visit was too short.

BTW, Hoss is also the kind of friend you want in your corner cause he will back you up if need be. For instance,

HOSS":20nox6ud said:
He also has a Braford x salers x angus x jersey cow that weans off a 900 pound calf every year. She had almost perfect confirmation. She was close to calving but didn't while I was there. I would have loved to have seen that calf

is actually a long tailed cull of a heifer that I accidently bought due to my eyes not seeing the correct eartag number. :oops: Instead of giving me grief about it, he actually - ever so gently - asked me why I bought the heifer and "what was she made up of". Coincidently, this is pretty much the same question my cousin asked me when I picked the replacements out of his 300 some odd good looking heifers. Not wanting to cause any more trouble in sorting this one animal out of the bunch I went on and took it. As for what she consists of, only God knows, but like Hoss says, she has to have Jersey in her to have a bag on her that is probably 25% of her body weight. As for perfect confirmation, Hoss is just covering my back cause she's got a butt like an angus a topline like a nag and the temperant of a brama. I think I got myself a new breed. I reckon I'll call her a Whatnot for what not to raise, or maybe something catchy like The Imbalancer - in the event your genetics gets too good and you need to breed down. Probably need to post her pic so folks will understand what not to raise. ;-) Of course with her grocery bag she's toting, who knows what she is going to do as a ma assuming she doesn't flip out and kill her calf on one of her bad days. :lol2:

Glad you made it home safely Hoss.

Well, sounds like Jogee is the same man in person that he is on the internet and it sounds like Hoss is a pretty decent feller as well :tiphat: .Glad it turned out to be fun !

Larry

Yeah well you should have read all the stuff he was writing about you on the boards while you were away from the computer! Thankfully it looks like it has all been deleted now. ;-)

Glad to hear you had a nice time.

ga. prime":171lb1ra said:
Did you see any rattlers, Hoss?

I didn't see any rattlers but it sure looked snakey enough around there to keep an eye peeled. The skeeters were big enough to do some damage. While sitting at the campfire I heard two big skeeters talking back in the woods. One said to the other "do we eat them here or carry them off"? I got scared so I grabbed Jogeephus's wood splitting maul and hid under his big cast iron stew kettle for protection. Everytime one would bore his bill through that kettle I bradded the end of it with that maul. After two or three they lifted the kettle up and flew off with it. I had to resort to the trusty 7mm magnum for defense. I was lucky Jogeephus showed up with his SKS and 1000 rounds of ammo to bail me out.
:lol: :tiphat:

glad you an your son got meet an go deer hunting with jogee.sounds like a great time was had by 1 an all.esp the hunting an looking at cattle.