Horses or ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

customcattle

Reaction score
I'm curious as to where you all stand on the discussion of using atv's or horses when gathering/trailer/pushing cattle. I really don't think there is a right blanket answer. It really more depends on what you're comfortable with, your skill set, and what's available to you.

In my opinion, horses are the way to go for me. I find that I am more apt to take my time and be in the right position horseback vs a four wheeler. I find that I'm always in a hurry and trying to get the cows to step out just a little more all the time when on an atv. On a horse I rely a whole lot more on my positioning rather than just pushing on them all the time. A horse is also more agile if ya have one trying to turn back or get by ya.

Again, just wondering.

For the most part I'm going to say the ATV. Mostly for convenience. It's always ready to go. I can put in the cattle trailer or on the back of the flatbed. A sack of cake on the back and most will follow you. Those that won't you can run em down and while you can't outmaneuver one . It seems once you run one into the ground they get respect for a ATV just like they will a horse.
With all that said. For the absolute worst one's. Horses and dogs can be the only way in a brush pasture. I won't even fool with those. My son can catch one on horseback and bring it back at a trot on slack rope. Those go in the trailer and straight to town. He gets half.

Jogeephus":2f3drrba said:
Neither. Bucket of feed and a good pen with plenty of gates works fine for me.

I get how that would work in a small pasture, but gathering a section or two that way wouldn't work at all. Growing up day working for the neighbor my brother and I would gather a 10,000 + acre pasture by ourselves and then drive them a couple or three miles. No way to do that with a bucket of feed.

Like I said before though, I don't think there is a right or wrong way, and everybody's situation is different.

On the 4 wheeler I don't have to worry about it picking up on bad habits..some times the cow has different ideas that you don't have the time to teach the horse about.. Otherwise I like using both.. The horse when I'm not pushed for the time....

As you said it depends. The last couple of days I have been helping a friend build a corral. That property is several thousand acres that he has 140 pairs on. Some of the ground is wide open grass land. A quad would work great on that part. There is a canyon running through it that there is no way you drive a quad into let alone use it to drive cows out.

I have used both. They both have there time and place. I think horses are more enjoyable and versatile. A horse can be used every where a quad will work and places a quad won't. But I haven't driven my quad for a couple weeks and I haven't had to feed it. One thing for sure either one will kill you if you don't pay attention.

I don't think it's really one or the other.... They serve two totally different purposes IMO. It's like comparing a hammer and a crescent wrench. You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench but it's best done with a hammer. You can loosen a nut with a hammer but it's best done with a crescent wrench.

Brute 23":30qh02gy said:
I don't think it's really one or the other.... They serve two totally different purposes IMO. It's like comparing a hammer and a crescent wrench. You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench but it's best done with a hammer. You can loosen a nut with a hammer but it's best done with a crescent wrench.
Bingo, correct answer! Around here a bucket of feed and a UTV to haul them works great. In larger areas, western ranges I'm familiar with a horse is the only way to go. If I was driving cattle long distances, even around here a horse would be superior. Kind of depends on the terrain and what you are doing. Small holdings in this area an ATV works fine. But if it involved woods/timber work a horse would be tops.

When using ATV's, don't you have to "train" the cattle to it? I use feed, myself, but I have an ATV as well that I've thought about using. I'd prefer to use a horse, but it's not in the cards.

customcattle":174sb9th said:
Jogeephus":174sb9th said:

I get how that would work in a small pasture, but gathering a section or two that way wouldn't work at all. Growing up day working for the neighbor my brother and I would gather a 10,000 + acre pasture by ourselves and then drive them a couple or three miles. No way to do that with a bucket of feed.

Like I said before though, I don't think there is a right or wrong way, and everybody's situation is different.
What's your stocking rate on that 10,000 acre pasture? That would be 5,000 pairs here, just wondering how many head we are talking about two people working.

hillbilly beef man":hsivamz3 said:
customcattle":hsivamz3 said:
Jogeephus":hsivamz3 said:

What's your stocking rate on that 10,000 acre pasture? That would be 5,000 pairs here, just wondering how many head we are talking about two people working.

The stocking rate is about 40 acres per cow. We were in high mountain desert country. It was usually between 250-300 head depending on the year.

Brute 23":2cnusnh2 said:
I can't stand when people try to push cattle with an atv. I'm not against encouraging them to go one way or another but they ain't no cuttin horse.

One of my favorite pics. Rotating pastures on the Mule with the herd in tow.

I tend to agree with you. I have been in some pastures in big country where a couple guys on atv's skirting hill tops and pushing them to ya horse back wound up saving a lot of horses. I don't mind being horseback all day, but on those big gathers it was always relieving to see a couple four wheelers at the beginning of the day. I knew I wasn't going to have to ride near as many miles. On a drive however, I'm not a fan. Seems like they are always buzzing around and either spooking a colt or pushing on cattle too hard unmothering calves. That and listening to the engine rev all day is annoying too.

Latest posts