Horse trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I sure need some help. I bought my granddaughter a horse . She has been riding for about a year and a half, and just using the barn horses. We found a nice barrel trained horse and she talked me into buying it. We stable it at her trainers, but I know I will need to buy a trailer to transport it to play days and to the farm. I would like to buy a combo trailer, one for cows and horses, is this doable? I need anew cattle trailer anyways so looking for some expert opinions. Also why do horse trailers have the slant bar in them? Checked craigslist and there are plenty of both types for sale. So am I being cheap in buying one and making it fit both applications?

"cheap" and thrifty are two different things. Seen lots of folks shell out a lot of nickels for junk that is never used.

I haul horses, more than I even care to disclose. I personally think the dividers are a necessity. Your horse will always travel better, move less, and be safer. Also if you guys get into barrel racing you will probably be ride sharing some. It'll cut down on the chance of injury from fighting going down the rode. I personally think a tack room is a must. No matter how big it is, you'll fill it up. I would say I normally haul 4 horses, and tack for 6.

Some trailers, the divides will fold against the wall, and haul cattle just fine. I personally gave up the dual purpose trailer idea. I have a cow trailer, and actually 2 horse trailers. One horse trailer, that my wife's Tahoe can pull, and one for me. That way we can go our seperate ways.

All of what bigfoot said and to answer your question about why a slant divider (IMO). Slant are easier and safer to load and unload horses and I'm told it's a easier ride for the horse. If you were to put a horse in a trailer without big tied, within a few minutes going down the road the horse will be face the back of the trailer, I've been told horse prefer not to face the front.

Although I think a single horse would be fine in a stock trailer as long as it has good footing and the trailer is tall enough. Years ago I saw a horse that while in the trailer must have thrown it's head up and hit the light. It coliced in the trailer as was in bad shape when it arrived to it's location. A trailer with enough height is a must IMO.

Sounds like you and your granddaughter are in for a few years of fun ....... And expense :shock: :hide: :lol:

Have a great time!

Pap there has been one heck of a lot of horses hauled in a stock trailer. Just make sure you tie the dam thing good. No use having just a horse trailer.

All I have is a stock trailer with a center gate that's not slanted. I haul my horses saddled so I don't need a tack room. In a sixteen foot I can fit four cows up front and two horses in back comfortably and have fit one more of both when I had to.
A good tip to hauling horses is to put mares behind geldings that way the'res less kicking going on. I don't tie them in so sometimes they'll get switched around but I let them worry about it.

There are some really reasonable "Combo" trailers for sale. I like the Combos because even if you haul the horses saddled, you always have stuff to put in a tack room. (Especially girls that barrel race.) I had my stock trailer built with a large tack room. I am always hauling not only tack and clothes, but feed as well in it. Have a porta pot too! The girls will appreciate a changing room also. For me, a single center gate OR dividers work fine. Either will fold back for cattle. With a goose neck, you always have a bed too!
I have two goose neck combos. Though I find myself using one for horses and the other for cows. Cows make a shi+y mess of a trailer, and unless you are into scrubbing it a lot, you are cleaning it off your horses if hauled the same day! :D

You sure did not do that grandchild any favors or her future mate.

Horses=lifetime of empty checking account

Been around too many of those spoiled brats to know what becomes of them.

Chevyman":2mequgla said:
You sure did not do that grandchild any favors or her future mate.

Horses=lifetime of empty checking account

Been around too many of those spoiled brats to know what becomes of them.
Chevyman, you sound like a real sweet guy! :yuck:

Everyone thanks for the replies. Spoiled definitely, brat I hope not. One of the highs in my life. Where else would I spend my " millions ".

As hobbies go, it is expensive. I don't want to know what I have spent on youth rodeo, in 5 years time, with no end in sight. Having one, wouldn't be quit as bad. I have three. I'm a little tainted on barrels. We still run them, but the other events, I actually enjoy more.

papavillars":1pkpl1j8 said:
Everyone thanks for the replies. Spoiled definitely, brat I hope not. One of the highs in my life. Where else would I spend my " millions ".

I realized after a couple of years, if horses would eat money you might as well feed them one dollar bills as fast and long as you can, they are expensive. I have one horse, my wife has five ..... We don't have six together :lol:

You and your granddaughter will have a life time of memories, will worth every dime that gets spent, I envy you, should be great.

I'm sure you know this or your grandaughter knows it, but whenever you tie a horse, anywhere Including and especially the trailer, always use a quick release knot. A horse wreck can happen fast.

Have fun and take pics!

Alan

Thought I would add, that a 2 horse anything is hard to resell. Personally I'd get a 3, or 4 horse if I went the slant route.

papavillars":35yqy4cq said:
Kids involved in sports and good clean activities stay outta trouble better! Especially with supportive parents, grandparents, or any good adult mentor for that matter! :nod: The fact that you are interested and involved in what she does is golden. You can "spoil" a kid, but with the right guidance and morals, they will still be a great person! Good luck with your purchase. :D

Horses are a lot of work. I am glad my daughter didn't have to have one. But I think a horse is good for a young person, teaches them responsibility and work ethic. And if we're ever blessed with grandkids and they want horses, I think my luck will have run out.

True story----------A young girl down the road was having some neck issues. Her parents took her to the doctor. The doctor finally concluded that the muscles in her were atrophied from laying around all the time. They took the couch out of her room, and put in a chair. Glad they got to the root of the problem.

In other words, an outdoor activity for your grandchild is an excellent choice.

I've trained horses for 10+ years and have pulled them to the show in trailers ranging from a 36' top of the line Bloomer to a rusted out bumper pull 2 horse that had the wheels break off half way to the show grounds. Once I got into the cattle business I decided I only wanted to keep one trailer to fit both needs. I bought a 16' stock trailer with one cut gate in the middle. I can haul 15 calves and 4 full grown horses if need be. I always tie my horses and with my geldings I have never had any issue. On the rare occasion I haul a mare I would haul them by themselves in a cut gate section. Tie their heads so they cannot smell or touch noses with the other horses. If a stud is really rank I will stuff his nose full of Vicks vapor rub and put a set of full blinders on him. I've hauled 2 breeding studs side by side without a divider like that before without issue but then again I was a lot younger and dumber then. The next trailer I buy will be a 20-24' all aluminum stock trailer with two cut gates.

Kyle

This thread brings to mind, an observation I have always had:

If you ask 100 cattlemen a question about cattle, 90 of them will probably answer the same way. The other 10 will have their own unique take on the situation.

If you ask 100 cowboys a horse related question 50 of them will do something one way, and 50 of them the other.

If you ask 100 horse people a horse related question, you'll get 100 different answers.

Latest posts