Cows in 2 horse trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bdubbs55

Reaction score
Anyone ever put cows in a 2 horse trailer? We got it planning to use it for calves and pigs. But I was wondering if it would works for a full size cow and calf. Any help is appreciated

I doubt the trailer will have a problem with it, I used my wife's horse trailer when I first got cows due to not having a cattle trailer. However the cows might not be as big a fan of going into that tight of an area. Is there a divider in it, making it even smaller, or can your divider be taken out.

Hauled a cow to our farm in southern middle TN from Dad's place in east central AL in my wife's 2 horse trailer once, ~240 miles, back around 1986.
Removed the central divider bar, tied a 2x8 across the back, above the doors, in case she thought about trying to jump over. No problems.

On a basic, 2-horse bumper pull, with a divider, those double doors are not all that sturdy. That is why there is a butt bar or butt chain for each door. This is to prevent the horse from backing up and bracing on the door, which could easily bust the door open.

Hauled many cows in a 2 horse when I first came to Va. That's what I had. Did have a 300+ lb calf jump over the back doors and get loose in town.... that was a circus....
Take out the center divider if it is removeable, and use a 2x6, or a couple of them, across the back above the doors if there is too much space between the top of the door and the roof. We put a chain across the back on the outside to prevent the doors from possibly getting popped open if they were to put their weight against it.

I doubt the trailer will have a problem with it, I used my wife's horse trailer when I first got cows due to not having a cattle trailer. However the cows might not be as big a fan of going into that tight of an area. Is there a divider in it, making it even smaller, or can your divider be taken out.
No divider in it

All good info! I'm planning on welding some rebar on the back door to prevent escape. And I will look into reinforcing the doors to try to stop them from busting it out on the freeway.

Had a guy come out to pick up a longhorn bull calf in a old 2 horse trailer. Told him it would jump through back door opening. I had to load Him just to show the Idiot. 12 month old calf went through like butter. He came back next weekend with a cattle trailer he rented.

That's all my trailer is a old horse trailer not as wide but it works. 16 foot bumper pull corn pro. I've had 3 full grown dairy cows in it before. It does the job the width isn't the greatest but it gets the job done

Sounds like there is a difference between horse trailers up north and those down south. I don't believe I've ever seen a horse trailer who's doors didn't go all the way to the top or have a latch in the bottom middle of the rear door.

2-horse trailers... while I don't pay that much attention to them... or, really even see that many of them around here... I'd say probably a majority of them I've seen are open like that - that's how the old one we have is... I just tied a 2x8 that was a foot or so longer than the trailer was wide, across the back, above the top of the doors, with ends sticking out of the side windows. Cow and calf rode 240 miles or so with no attempts to go over. Granted, she wasn't a Brahman-crossbred, or wild-@ss Angus...just a little black Jersey mix, so it didn't take much to keep her contained.

View attachment 1539
Never seen one like this, Silver?
I've put 2 cows in one identical to that, one was a pretty big cow at about 15-1600 lbs, the other was about 1200.. I ran a ratchet strap around the back of the trailer to hold it together.. the big cow had her butt hanging over the door, it was quite a job to get them closed
Had decent sized steers and yearling bulls in it, they all spent the whole trip turning around and around in it, it looked like the trailer was breathing, swelling up the sides every time

Latest posts