Horse slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

Definitely no market for raising horses specifically for slaughter then I'm guessing.

I nearly got beat to death yesterday at the therapeutic riding academy where I volunteer for suggesting one of our retired program horses that in now un-rideable be sent to slaughter. The equine manager was not amused even though she has tried to give the horse away for 6 months. I attempted to reason with her that although we are a non profit operation we still have to run it like business.

oscar p":l73drsup said:
There are 2 horse sales, close to us. Theres a killer buyer every month. Prices vary month to month.Depends on how many killer buyers are there. Every horse Jan 7, that was fat the killer buyer would start it off at $125, and most often get it.Unless it was a really good rider. He gave up to $200 on some but never saw him give over that. But I never saw him bid on any thing that was crippled or thin. Out of 82 horses at that sale I bet he bought over half. The highest horse at the sale brought $550. He was a good kid broke horse that sold with a stockyard guarantee. so if you figure 1000lb horse brings $125, What's that 0.12 1/2 cents a pound. WOW.

Before all this ban on horse slaughter we used to get that 550 at the kill plant for some.

TennesseeTuxedo":35l9hno6 said:
Definitely no market for raising horses specifically for slaughter then I'm guessing.

I nearly got beat to death yesterday at the therapeutic riding academy where I volunteer for suggesting one of our retired program horses that in now un-rideable be sent to slaughter. The equine manager was not amused even though she has tried to give the horse away for 6 months. I attempted to reason with her that although we are a non profit operation we still have to run it like business.

sometimes you have to be practical. I bet that she does not have the funds to euthanize and bury it.

I've got a 23 year old horse on my place. Had him since he was 5. Used him for everything. Roped on him in competition on the weekends, and caught sick calves on him through the week. He taught the kids to ride, and tolerated them learning to rope. Hes as good a horse as I've ever owned, and as good a friend as I ever had. He is no longer rideable. With the exception of shoes I spend as much on him in a year as I do the young ones. If he was in pain I would put him down. He is not, but the bottom line is this. I would send him to slaughter if that were an option. In the end he is livestock. As it stands now I will feed, stall, and blanket him untill I think he is suffering. I'm not sure what that says about my ethics, but I know what the reality is.

chippie":3njjtcsl said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3njjtcsl said:

sometimes you have to be practical. I bet that she does not have the funds to euthanize and bury it.

It's not that Chippie. This horse, Sidney, and I started last year at the Academy at about the same time. He had fallen in a drainage ditch and injured his back and left rear leg pretty severely so he was a "project" horse to say the least. After 8 months of extensive rehab and vet bills it has been determined he can never be ridden again but otherwise is in decent shape. The equine manager has tried for several months to find him a home but nobody wants to take in a horse they can't ride. I don't have a place for horses at this time. He's a nice 16 hand thoroughbred who was quite the athlete in his day.

Bigfoot, I'd keep your horse as long as possible were I in your rather ample shoes.

Good luck and I hope you stick around Cattle Today.

TT

I don't know what you think about this stuff but I'm totally against horse slaughter. it is income, it can save a horse from pains and stuff but come on, this is a cruel way of getting rid of the animal which worked for you like a horse and got nothing for it...almost nothing. isn't it an act of gratitude to let the horse leave this world in peace and be buried??

You are right. Much more of an act of gratitude to let the horse starve to death over a few years. Slaughter is a way out for some people. When horses went from being livestock to pets things changed.

Hint":2fpl5dee said:
I don't know what you think about this stuff but I'm totally against horse slaughter. it is income, it can save a horse from pains and stuff but come on, this is a cruel way of getting rid of the animal which worked for you like a horse and got nothing for it...almost nothing. isn't it an act of gratitude to let the horse leave this world in peace and be buried??

I have a horse to send you to take care of for the rest of it's life. I have it because it wouldn't stay out of our pasture and the neighbor gave it to me. I can't keep it.

I need to relocate it, or I will be happy to take your donation to continue to feed it. $75 a month will cover it's hay and grain. Thank you for caring.

I will be happy to share your info so that you can take care of more unwanted horses.

:clap: well said, chippie
and also, what are we suposed to do with all the glorified broncs that are nothing better than livestock and never will be? i've had good cowhorses that would buck every time you rode them... why would i feed vthat miserable sob any longer than i had to?

Someone in my area is back buying slaughter horses. I saw a couple guys with a check from him this weekend. They seemed to think that their horses were going to a plant in the United States. I don't know for sure. They could be going to a zoo for all I know. Has a plant got up and running here. I know it's been rumored for a while.

Hola Mexico!

A small town in Missouri has been unsuccessfullly trying to re-open a beef plant for horses. I sure hope that they can get it open.

Mountain Grove MO turned them down. Their residents had a fit about the possiblity. I heard they were looking elsewhere in the state after that and then later decided to go out of state, not sure where.

Mexico and Canada are the only two places to send them. The way I understand it Knoxville,Tn. Is where all the killer buyers send the horses they buy at the regular horse sales. From there they go North or South of the border.

:mad: Thank God the plants are on at least temp closure. Horses are full of bute which is toxic to humans as well as other meds in their bodies. The plants are designed for cattle, last time I checked ::::::::::::::::: HORSES ARE COMPANION ANIMALS NOT FOOD ANIMALS ! :yuck: I have signed every petition to stop this horrible practice. I have several rescues I pulled from the slaughter pen at Shippshewanna( in indiana) Some of the best horses EVER ! As of now, the plants are in canada and mexico. The US has no funds for inspections ect, so plants here are very doubtful. :banana: People:::::::::: stick with cattle, beef is whats for lunch , not Mr ED! and I myself am a vegatarian :pretty:

So Holly, what is to be done with all of the unwanted horses that are starving to death because there is no place for them to go?
Do you have room for some to give a forever home?

FYI, not every horse is full of Bute. And many of the meds that are used on horses are used on cattle. They just have not done the withdrawal time studies on horses like they do for animals that are used for human consumption. You do know that horses are raised in Europe for slaughter and dogs are raised in the Asian countries for human consumption too.
Different strokes for different folks.

ETA: because server blipped

Horse slaughter is going strong in Canada with trucks from the US hauling up here on a regular basis

Holly - Mr. Ed makes a darned good tasting meal - I ordered a steak in Switzerland and ate my first horse meat - all because of language issues - it was more than good.

Hope like heck horse slaughter eventually does well in your country

It is a good thing in my opinion - after all 50 million Europeans and a bunch of Chinese eating horse meat cannot all be wrong!

LOL

Anyone against it due to the horse being a beast of burden and a possible companion can come up here any time and round up 50 or a 100 to take home and look after - they are free for the taking. Or they can watch them slowly starve to death in the winter.

The cheapest thing about a horse is the purchase price - after that all you do is pay!

Best to all

Bez

They're not all pets. I've been around more than a few that were good at their job but so misserable to be around that nobody minded seeing them go when the time came.
I can understand a special horse that was good to a particular family getting a "forever home" with that same particular family, but the rest of them are livestock... That doesn't mean that you can't be kind to them while they're here, it just means that thier life is conditional on usefulness.
If every ranch had to keep every horse until it died of natural causes, the price of beef would make it an unafordable luxury item because half of our resources would go to horses instead of cattle.

does not matter what you think I do all i can to end this hideous practice! And our numbers are strong and growing. We have outstanding people putting lots of money to support the cause. Just how do you think the plants were shut down here in the US in the first place? Horse lovers like me.
End of subject ! And yes, I have 8 beautiful horses all saved from slaughter. Once again, horses are companion animals not food animals. To each his own, I will continue to fight !

Horses are not companion animals and may the good Lord help all horses and their owners should our fine government determine that they are.
That would ruin the entire industry.

Holly,
You still did not answer the question of what to do with all of the unwanted horses?
I too am a horse owner and lover. The horses and donkeys that I own have been with us for years and years. Our oldest is 37 and have owned it since it was 4 months old.

Latest posts