Horse slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer":26xmvw3r said:
sweet jesus - what a can of worms! :mad: Im deleting my account, didnt even bother to read that last stupid post.. I may be in the wrong place but let it be known that we will continue our fight to save the horses and we will win !!!!!! May you all have cardiac issues from your carnivore diets. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ____________________ ahhhh cardiac arrest
Soft hearted young lady aren't you. Looking out for the horse while wishing heart problem on all who consume meat. Maybe try spending a bit more time helping your fellow man and less time worrying about horses. I don't own a horse, won't own a horse, have never eaten horse but hold no hard feelings to those that do. Probably better than some of the beef I've eaten and most certainly better than "dog".

Folks around here have been giving horses away, turning them loose on the highways or just ignoring them for a couple of years now. At least with a slaughter market the poor things would get fed.

Only reason we do t eat horses in this country is because cows were easier to catch

I'm pretty soft hearted when it comes to horses.
I sold 2 back years ago at auction that I am sure went to slaughter and it still haunts me to this day.
One good thing that came from the closing of the slaughter plants is it put a stop to a lot of backyard breeders.
There are lots of people that have no business breeding horses and lots of worthless animals were being bred.
Imo I don't think they should be produced for food
I think there needs to be an outlet for lame, old, worthless horses but from what I have seen it needs to be more humane.
I raise cattle for food, but don't think any animal should be abused or mistreated.
I feel like right up to the point to last breath they should be treaded fair.

I agree with cross. It did stop a lot of backyard breeding that was counter productive.

I'll agree with some or most of what cross7 said, it did stop some or most backyard breeders but not all of the back yard breeders. We have a couple of people that breed their own 10 to 15 mares a year and dump the foals for a bottom line price of $100, price starts at $600 to $700 and goes down. The only reason I can figure out is it helps with hay cost.

As far as food animals go, a lot of the world eats horses, dogs and cats. How would we feel if the Hindu's said no more eating cattle for anyone... Period!? It's the way of the world.

Unfortunately not everyone is in the position to retire a horse and keep it til it passes and putting one down and disposing of the body can be very expensive.
We no longer have a renderer that will come pick up dead livestock.

I'm pro horse slaughter. I was raised around the horses, bred them, show them and ride them. Too many unwanted horses around here. I had a very bad experience with crappy horse owners that shouldn't have any horses AT ALL! One of them was my neighbor (no it's not that neighbors that have Belgian Blue cattle) had horses, but they cannot afford the hay for the winter. One of their horses died but the neighbors do not get rid of the dead horse, they left it in the pasture where other horses are nibbling on the dead horse....and when they finally got hay, they ended up put all hay on the dead horse to hide him from drivers on the road. The horses ended up eat all hay that was on the dead horse. We called the cops on them and the horses were gone after that. Personally I believe that we needs to manage the horse populations to prevent animal cruelty...by un-ban horse slaughters. Also my cousins adopted two wild horses from West, in hopes that they can be used as a cowhorse. Ended up put them down..can't have them around the children on the farm.

An outlet such as a slaughter house does nothing to manage the population LONG TERM. If anything, it gives incentive to the part timer to keep his foal mill up and running as he knows there will always be a facilitator available.

I doubt you'll get this but when you eliminate the demand, you eliminate the supply.Where there is no demand, there is no supply needed.

Lots of quacking on saving the pony from the slaughter house.

Not one concrete idea on what to do with all the excess / unwanted horses and ponies.

Killing them is better than turning them loose to starve - unless I see a better idea, I am staying with the slaughter

Cheers

Bez

-XBAR-":1gjz8ls0 said:
I doubt you'll get this but when you eliminate the demand, you eliminate the supply.Where there is no demand, there is no supply needed.
Oh I do get it, it's you that doesn't get it. I come from a family that breeding registered horses for a living. We raised Quarter and Percheron Draft horses, but also training draft horses to pulling wagons for others. Despite of have quality breed stock, many of them ended up as unwanted horses. Too many horses ended up in wrong hands and it's not slaughter. I can't tell you how many horse owners I met shouldn't have any equine...period. It's better send unwanted horses to slaughter than to people that knows nothing about horses.

-XBAR-":3k0dxdy3 said:
Keep recklessly breeding horses. Maybe one day you'll get a great one.
Once again, you don't get it. We stopped breeding horses a long time ago and guess what? these horses are long-lived creatures so we're back to the step one.

Maybe people are not breeding the mass numbers individually anymore, but the outlet is still needed.
Not everyone can afford to retire a horse and not everyone can afford to have one put down and disposed of.
There are so many old horses that are listed for free. They are no longer usable and have no where to go.
And what about the horses that are rank and dangerous?

-XBAR-":1x4ucnb2 said:

Do you have a MBA in economics also? You should really think a little before you post. Let's take your economic thoughts from another angle. Let's say it just became illegal to slaughter and consume cattle. You just elimated the demand but what have you done to the supply?

Have a good day,
"Dave"

-XBAR-":1obzqixg said:

You don't get it. There is a demand. That is why the kill buyers near the borders are still buying horses and hauling them to Canada and Mexico to be processed. But when fuel prices are high, the kill buyers don't ship.

one more time- horses are companion animals not food animals. I see feedlots full of cattle, hogs, sheep , no horses. I see that we have a muti million dollar industry catoring to horses( catalogs for supplies, halters, show tack, show clothes,) fancy trailiers, trucks, seminars and trainers ( they are not cheap or free) :nod: Vet clinics geared only to horses, photograhers that are horses only, and the list is endless!!! Do you see this for cattle ? NO! sure there are show cattle and fit camps, but nothing like the horse end of it. :cboy: Always, there will be folks that breed for no reason, that dont care for their horses ( or their kids! :mad: ) I stand firm in my belief that the slaughter trade of horses is wrong and will do all I can to see it extinct. Call me wacko, bleeding heart, pony patrol or whatever. I take pride in my beliefs, as do a whole herd just like me! I must get busy, my old horse needs a pretty new blanket :banana:

In all seriousness Holly, good for you. You have strong feelings about your opinion and are sticking to your guns, even through a tough uphill battle on this thread. While I don't agree with you on some points I do respect you for your firm stance.

:tiphat:

With that said I'll state another side for my argument. Countries that eat horses and have for a couple of centuries;

China
France
Italy
All of S. America
Japan
Switzerland
Most European countries
Most of Asia

While Americans do not enjoy a grilled Flicka burger much of the world does. The leading consumer, according to eathorse.com, is Kazakhstan. They eat 4.7 million horses a year.

Seems to be a demand.

Latest posts