Horse Powered Hay Trolley

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have a story to tell but it would be pointless if the "Horse Powered Hay Trolley" is not understood. I will tell the story in a couple of days after folks get an opportunity to read this. Background:

My dad was behind his times. While other farmers in the poor county where I grew up were getting little Ford tractors, dad was moving backwards as fast as he could. We never owned a tractor. We had no running water or indoor plumbing. He bought his farm in 1948. Henry and I were born in 1949 and 1950, respectively. Eddie and Sharon came shortly there after, and Robbie was the baby, 14 years after me.

Dad started the farm with a team of draft horses that came from his dad's farm. I can remember that one was named Queen. Dad bought her from a horse trader named Pete Young. She died when I was maybe 10 at the age of 32. Later he had a team of Belgian Mares, Pat and Bunny. Henry and I would sneak out the door under mom's eye, go to the pasture and play with our mares. Bunny was mine, Pat was Henry's. I would crawl on Bunny by leading her down hill of me and getting a lift from a high spot on the ground. I would lay on her back belly down. I would put my face against her and smell her. I could feel her muscles moving under me. If I slid too far forward, I would slide down her neck and hit the ground in front of her as she was grazing. She never paid any attention to me. I was so brown by the end of summer, my friends teased me at school.

We put our hay up loose. Dad mowed it with the horses using a 5 1/2 foot sickle with the arrow shaped blades that slide back and forth. He raked it with a rake that had hoop shaped teeth that collected the hay from the ground and dumped it in windrows. Henry and I shocked it with pitchforks as dad raked. When the hay was all shocked, dad took the team and rake back to the barn and came back with the hay wagon. Henry drove the team and I tramped the hay as dad threw it up on the wagon. Dad was a powerful built man in his youth. He packed a lot of muscle on his small frame. Milking all his life by hand gave him forearms that looked like muscle wood and veins that stood out like ropes. He had a bigger fork than Henry and I. He would drive his fork deep in the shock and throw the entire shock onto the wagon. I would walk it down while Henry drove to the next shock.

When the wagon was full, dad got on and Henry took the team to the barn. There was a driveway through the barn. You pulled into the barn from the eve side and went our the other side. In one end of the barn was a hay loft. In the top of the barn was a trolley system. From the trolley system was suspended a hay spear. The wagon was pulled under the hay spear, the spear came down and was pushed into the hay. The trolley was powered by Bunny. There was a set of pulleys and a big braided hemp rope with a ring on it. One of us would unhook Bunny, bring her around the barn and hook her single tree to the ring. Dad would climb into the loft so he could move the hay after it was dropped, I would get on the load of hay and stick the fork, and someone would lead the mare. When all was ready, the one assigned to the horsepower would lead Bunny forward and she would lift the hay, it would go up via block and tackle until the top of the spear would mate with the trolley, then the entire load of hay would rocket back into the loft. The spear sticker would trip the spear and the load of hay would whoosh down into the loft. The horse would stop and the spear sticker would pull back the trolley to set-up for the next load while dad sorted out the hay in the loft with his fork.

Here is a YouTube to show the process and pictures of a spear and the trolley. The YouTube is pretty poor quality in my opinion, I wish our system was still working, it was much better than this. I remember one time, I stuck the spear and then got on top of it with my feet and drove it deep into the load. I locked the dogs and when Bunny took off, the hay with the bed attached was lifted. I yelled to my brother to stop. We got it back together but it sure was funny seeing the whole thing going up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuas4eDGo0g
3151r0x.jpg

23v13sx.jpg

LOL! about Bunny taking off. I would have liked to see your faces.

My husband grew up similar to you however his family had a dairy and his father had mules. His dad lost his sight when my husband was about 8, so he and his brother had to do most of the work with the help of his mother and sisters. They had a mule named Tom. He was a counterfeit critter and would cheat on my husband. One day he would not stay straight in the traces and kept turning around looking at L (my husband) when he was trying to drag logs to the barn. L told his father and his father walked towards the mule. His dad asked L to hand him a two x four and told L to let him know when the mule was looking at him. L. said "he's looking at you now" and his dad swing and hit the mule up side the head. The mule straightened out and took off at a smart trot and was waiting at the barn when they got there. L didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

My husband farmed with horses and he cut hay with a McCormick Deering No. 4 mower and racked with a dump rake. The kids and I would pile the hay on a wagon and we put it up loose in a stall in the barn. The kids would jump down from the top of the stall to tamp it down. Good times.

Thanks for sharing your story. You have some great memories.

Another good history lesson Inyati! Sadly, many old barns around here have fallen into disrepair. There are buyers roaming around buying these old barns so that they can sell the old lumber and cut limestone.
I personally hate to see the old barns go, they are great landmarks!
I have seen some of that old haybarn equipment at fleamarkets and yard sales. The people selling that equipment seldom know what it was used for years ago!

gardenfencing2013012.jpg

I was bounced off this a couple times as my dad pulled me along cutting corn stalks. Pulled with a nearly new 8n Ford.

greybeard":35s3t5b8 said:
gardenfencing2013012.jpg

I was bounced off this a couple times as my dad pulled me along cutting corn stalks. Pulled with a nearly new 8n Ford.

GB, one of the things I want to do someday for Cattle Today, is go into dad's barn (now Rob's barn) and take pictures of all his horsedrawn equipment. He has a tobacco setter, 2 of those mowing machines like the one in your picture, a new holland manure spreader, numerous plows, 2 dump hay rakes, cultavators, etc.

My brother, Henry, who picked up dad's interest in horses has a team of Percherons. They are truly spectacular ungulates. Anyone who has ever chased them around in the field when they get out and had them turn to run in your direction, will understand the feeling of how big they are. But Henry has a horse drawn road grader. He has already collected much of dad's horse drawn equipment before dad died. This picture shows one of the hay rakes dad used:
wtshli.jpg

That is the type of rake that we used. My husband sold his equipment when he retired the horses. We sold the mowing machine for close to $1000. The other working equipment brought good prices too. We had a John Deere plow that was made especially for Texas. It went to a collector.

greybeard, your machine has good wheels. When we were looking for horsedrawn equipment, one major problem was mowers that had been pulled by tractors had their cleats worn off.

The only piece that we still have is our cane press.

We have the cultivator.
Split the dump rake and sickle pair up. The dump rake is at my sister's place--sickle mower is in my front yard.

Pioneer is a good company. We had one of their forecarts. It was handy. The resale value is excellent. We bought it used and sold it for more than we paid for it.
It makes me happy that horse drawn equipment is still being manufactured. Sometimes my husband talks about getting another team, although he wants Hafflingers this time. He said that he is too old to heave harness up on 16 plus hand horses anymore.

This is my husband moving a round bale with a team of Standardbred/Percheron mares.

9MVC-001F.JPG

ETA: When one of our daughters was about 10, she entered a photo of her dad mowing hay with his horses in the county fair. One of the judges said that she could not have taken the pic because no one did that. One of the ladies there told the judge that she did take the photo because she knew the girl and the dad :D

I was born in '71. My grandfather hung on to the "old ways". He had a sickle mower. I only remember him clipping pasture with it. He plowed tobacco with a mule. I have always been into both mules and horses. I guess I wanted my kids to be more main stream, horses is all I've had since they've came along. I kept my harness, and forecart. When my littlest can saddle a horse by herself, I'm gonna get me another driving mule.

Latest posts