Horse manure in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I guess the would fall under the "Health" heading.

I will be putting 3 bred cows and 4 steers (weaned a little over 60 days) all Herefords in my 28 acre pasture on March 12. There have been 6 horses running on there over the winter and there is a decent amount of Horse manure scattered about. They will not stay in with the cows when they arrive. Should I drag the horse manure or does it really matter? Can they get any kind of sickness from the horse manure?

Thanks

They're not going to be eating the horse manure, and by the time they start eating close to it, it'll be nice and dry. There's always a chance of cathing some type of internal parasite from manure, but there's a whole lot more that they'll catch it from each other as they eat and poop and eat and...

tncattle":38rw7zcq said:
I guess the would fall under the "Health" heading.

I will be putting 3 bred cows and 4 steers (weaned a little over 60 days) all Herefords in my 28 acre pasture on March 12. There have been 6 horses running on there over the winter and there is a decent amount of Horse manure scattered about. They will not stay in with the cows when they arrive. Should I drag the horse manure or does it really matter? Can they get any kind of sickness from the horse manure?

Thanks

My horses and cows are pastured together, I asked the vet about any parasitic transfer, she informed me that should not be a problem. If it was my pasture and it was loaded with manure I would drag it, than again if I didn't have time I would leave it, probably with the same result as a cold, leave it and it will be gone in a week, medicate it and it will be gone in 7 days.

Agreed. Few intestinal parasites shared by horses and cattle - and usually, the horses are more damaged by the few that may pass from cows to horses than vice-versa.
Horse manure can be a source of Clostridium tetani spores - but again, horses are more susceptible to developing tetanus than are cows.

Dragging to scatter manure piles is really only economically worthwhile if you're using it as a means of legal wealth transfer(paying your kids to do it, and writing it off as 'farm labor'); if YOU have to do it, there's bound to be better things you could do with your time, as well as the $$ squandered on fuel, wear & tear on equipment, and soil compaction.

Latest posts