Hornady xtp in blk powder rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

They're good bullets if you want to hunt with an inline rifle. I muzzle loader hunt with a 50cal TC Hawken using Maxi balls and open sites. I have a TC 50cal Encore with a 3.5x10 Leopold scope and get absolutely no enjoyment hunting with it. I think as you age it becomes more about the hunt than the kill.

True Grit Farms":23owdcai said:
They're good bullets if you want to hunt with an inline rifle. I muzzle loader hunt with a 50cal TC Hawken using Maxi balls and open sites. I have a TC 50cal Encore with a 3.5x10 Leopold scope and get absolutely no enjoyment hunting with it. I think as you age it becomes more about the hunt than the kill.
I love my Lyman gpr with a patched rb, or hawken with homecast LEE REAL bullets. I have something or other inline and just do not enjoy it.

I always enjoyed side lock muzzleloaders, but I sure as shyt don't miss trying to load a lead buffalo bullet when it's 3 degrees with a wooden ramrod. Talk about a PITA.
I tried the Hornady's last year while trying to get a light load that my 9 year old could shoot comfortably. They worked perfectly.

I started with a side lock with open sites still have it but got tired of misfires I was using balls the sabots were illegal in VA at one time

snoopdog":yiurv7xi said:
True Grit Farms":yiurv7xi said:
I love my Lyman gpr with a patched rb, or hawken with homecast LEE REAL bullets. I have something or other inline and just do not enjoy it.

I feel the same I have a pile of smokepoles my favorites are the scatter guns. Went to using Alliant Black MZ best powder for performance and cleanup I have found.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/23435

True Grit Farms":czxo1e88 said:
skyhightree1":czxo1e88 said:
I'll keep my xtp's

Are you not allowed to to hunt with a center fire rifle?

We are now they opened it up and allowed rifles last year. We have 3 seasons bow .. black powder.. and general firearms. We are 6 days in black powder season. Once this goes out next Friday we will be using dogs and shotguns/rifles

True Grit Farms":2t5x4rmx said:
skyhightree1":2t5x4rmx said:
I'll keep my xtp's

We are now they opened it up and allowed rifles last year. We have 3 seasons bow .. black powder.. and general firearms. We are 6 days in black powder season. Once this goes out next Friday we will be using dogs and shotguns/rifles

skyhightree1":1ldtp8ix said:
True Grit Farms":1ldtp8ix said:
skyhightree1":1ldtp8ix said:
I'll keep my xtp's

Stand hunting isn't very productive once the dogs are turned out. We drive 50+ miles through the Apalachicola national forest and never see any deer on the sides of roads. The dog hunters run dogs year round for one thing or another. But now since the forest is closed down because of the hurricane we see deer every time we travel back and forth, seen 15 one night last week. I'll have a better idea on what's going on shortly, as the forest should to be opening sometime in the near future.

True Grit Farms":36w3490q said:
skyhightree1":36w3490q said:
True Grit Farms":36w3490q said:

Stand hunting isn't very productive once the dogs are turned out. We drive 50+ miles through the Apalachicola national forest and never see any deer on the sides of roads. The dog hunters run dogs year round for one thing or another. But now since the forest is closed down because of the hurricane we see deer every time we travel back and forth, seen 15 one night last week. I'll have a better idea on what's going on shortly, as the forest should to be opening sometime in the near future.

You got about 3 weeks of still hunting here once running dogs start and then they turn nocturnal

Latest posts