Hope you're ready for this one

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
Hills Cafe in Austin... I heard this on the radio yesterday or Friday...They are now serving 100% certified Nolan Ryan registered Black Angus beef. I was talking to a friend of mine this morning and he said that the cheapest steak on the menu is $25. The joint is one of the centers of Texas music in Austion which is the Texas music capital of the world. That means a mostly blue collar crowd. I can just see some good ole' boy paying $25-50 for a steak. Not unless the waitress came with it and she better be darn good looking. :roll: Z

I thought that Nolan Ryan stuff was all lean and Brahman influenced stuff.

dun

I don't have a clue. I'm just repeating what the radio ad said. They could be feeding camel hump for all I know and at those prices I'm not going to try to find out.Z

From his website

Nolan Ryan Beef is strictly a science-based program. We are not limited to any particular color or breed of beef cattle. Instead, we are looking for beef producers who do a great job of utilizing genetics that match their environment. When cattle perform well on the ranch, they will perform in the Nolan Ryan Beef program. If you are interested in making more money with your calf crop, collecting more carcass and performance data and eliminating market discrimination give us a call.

From another website

NOLAN RYAN'S ALL NATURAL TENDER AGED BEEF

BRAND NAME SPECIFICATION – MAY 2004

for certification by the

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Agricultural Marketing Service

Livestock and Seed Program

Washington, D.C. 20250

SCOPE

This specification is for certification by an AMS agent of products marketed as Nolan Ryan's All Natural Tender Aged Beef (NRTAB) and Nolan Ryan's All Natural Aged Gourmet Beef.

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS

Meat Grading and Certification Branch Instructions

NRTAB Inventory Control Procedure, April 2000

Official Beef Carcass Grade Standards, January 1997

Plant-Specific Standard Operational Procedures (SOP)

PROGRAM SPECIFICATIONS

1. GRADE RELATED REQUIREMENTS

These requirements are for certification by an AMS agent of U.S. Choice and Select steer and heifer beef carcasses which show no evidence in the ribeye muscle of: a) internal hemorrhages, b) bruising, c) "dark cutting" characteristics, and d) meet the following set of requirements:

1) Yield grade of 2.9 or numerically lower;

2) Quality grade:

a) Choice for Nolan Ryan's All Natural Aged Gourmet Beef,

b) Select for Nolan Ryan's All Natural Tender Aged Beef; and,

3) Lean color, texture, firmness, and skeletal characteristics of overall A maturity in the U.S. Choice and Select grades.

Items 1, 2, and 3 shall be determined in accordance with the Official United States Standards for Grades of Carcass Beef.

2. OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

1) All eligible carcasses shall be electrically stimulated prior to chilling. Electrical stimulation (ES) shall yield at least a 10% initial improvement in tenderness for stimulated versus non-stimulated carcasses (using the longissimus dorsi) as determined by Warner Bratzler (WBS) or Slice Shear Force (SSF) evaluations. The ES program shall continue to demonstrate a statistically significant improvement in shear force for stimulated versus non-stimulated carcasses and shall be validated at a proven frequency interval.

2) Eligible carcasses shall be chilled for at least 24 hours prior to evaluation.

3) Carcasses offered for USDA certification shall be evaluated using the SmartMV BeefCam (BeefCam) Version 1.6.2 or Version 1.6.5 for a) ribeye area (11.0 square inches (sq. in.) to 16.5 sq. in.) and b) a BeefCam score less than (0.0). BeefCam will provide USDA a method to assure the integrity of the technology (e.g., hardware and software) approved for the NRTAB program, and BeefCam will present any technology changes to USDA for approval and monitoring prior to implementation.

4) Product, except ground beef and trimmings, shall be aged for a minimum of 14 days from harvest prior to shipment to retail.

3. STATE OF REFRIGERATION: Fresh-chilled.

QUALITY ASSURANCE

Carcass Identification. Carcasses to be examined for compliance with the requirements of this specification shall be identified and segregated as prescribed in the plant specific Meat Grading and Certification Branch (MGCB) Quality plan procedures. A designated plant or NRTAB employee shall notify the AMS agent of the approximate slaughter time and lot identification of cattle intended for the program prior to their slaughter, and the time that carcasses shall be evaluated with the BeefCam prior to that evaluation.

Grade Related Requirements. Grade related requirements shall be determined by the AMS agent on an individual carcass basis.

Electrical Stimulation. The electrical stimulation process and any changes which the MGCB agent determines to be significant, must be approved by the Standardization Branch prior to implementation. The plant shall provide USDA with an SOP documenting the electrical stimulation process to be used and shall include, at a minimum, the following:

A trained plant or NRTAB employee shall observe the stimulation of all eligible cattle to assure that all carcasses are electrically stimulated as stipulated.
The AMS agent shall monitor the operation of the electrical stimulation system (e.g., remote video camera and monitor, observation, etc.) per the MGCB plant Quality plan.
The plant's SOP for the initial electrical stimulation evaluation, the subsequent statistically significant improvement in shear force for stimulated versus non-stimulated carcasses, and proven frequency interval required for validating electrical stimulation.

Training Employees. NRTAB shall train individuals responsible for program integrity. These individuals will be responsible for training and supervising plant employees who conduct carcass identification, electrical stimulation, ribeye presentation and preparation for the BeefCam, BeefCam operation, and other duties. A record designating each trained employee has completed the approved training, signed by the trainer and trainee and must be on file at the plant and available to the AMS agent at any time.

BeefCam and Ribeye Area. BeefCam and ribeye area readings shall be taken by a trained plant or a designated NRTAB employee. The AMS agent shall verify the accuracy of the BeefCam by either stationary rail or on line certification. Plant specific SOPs shall designate the method of certification as stationary or on-line.

Stationary Rail Certification using BeefCam, Version 1.6.2 or

On-line Certification using BeefCam, Version 1.6.5: (NOTE: The BeefCam, Version 1.6.5 is programmed so the camera does not operate unless the camera is properly calibrated.)

1. An AMS agent shall observe and verify the BeefCam's ribeye measurement is properly calibrated according to the manufacturer's recommended procedures at the beginning of each NRTAB certification period;

2. Randomly selecting a constant sample size of 5 carcasses from each lot;

3. Verifying for the 5 carcasses: (a) the BeefCam scores are less than 0.0, (b) the ribeye area is within the range of 11.0 to 16.5 square inches (+ or – ½ inch tolerance) by gridding the ribeyes, and (c) the BeefCam image of the ribeye to assure the longissimus was properly scanned;

4. Rejecting the entire lot offered for certification if any carcass does not meet the BeefCam requirement, the ribeye measurement, or the BeefCam image of the longissimus was not properly scanned;

5. Verifying that the number of carcasses certified is equal to or less than the number of carcasses on the BeefCam print out or the plant's inventory; and,

6. If necessary, a lot may be re-sorted/re-worked for re-certification one time only. (The same procedures and sample size listed above will be followed for re-certification).

Aging. Aging from the time of harvest shall be monitored under a modified Process Verified Program. The NRTAB procedure for monitoring inventory control is attached. AMS employees shall audit the inventory control system at least quarterly. Ground meats (and the raw materials) will not be aged nor labeled as Nolan Ryan Tender Aged Beef.

Nolan Ryan's Tender Aged Beef Monitoring. All program requirements identified in this specification will be monitored by AMS employees. Any requirement that is not being performed as specified will result in the suspension of certification until the program requirements are in compliance with the NRTAB specifications.

Nolan Ryan's Tender Aged Beef Responsibilities. The costs of all grading and certification services performed by the AMS agent involving examinations, supervision, official documentation, and related services shall be the responsibility of the person, group, or plant requesting the service. NRTAB representatives must notify the MGCB agent of any program changes prior to implementation. Changes, which the MGCB agent determines to be significant, must be approved by the Standardization Branch prior to implementation.

Labeling. Labeling of NRTAB products shall be in compliance with FSIS regulations and LS Policy SP2.

sounds a little Like CAB to me but with out the Must be black rule.

Interesting on his website it is referred to as All Natural, kind of gives the implication of no Hormones or antibiotics to me. But when you go to the FAQ part of the website it only says they will not be given any 100 days prior to butchering.

Little misleading to me.

aplusmnt":38c8asea said:

If it's in actuallity registered black angus beef, wouldn;t that pretty much mean that they're black? Could be an occasional wildcard with 2 red carriers being bred to each other though. Of course it probably doesn;t specify that they're registered with the American Angus Association.

dun

dun":1ijm3uo9 said:
aplusmnt":1ijm3uo9 said:

If it's in actuallity registered black angus beef, wouldn;t that pretty much mean that they're black? Could be an occasional wildcard with 2 red carriers being bred to each other though. Of course it probably doesn;t specify that they're registered with the American Angus Association.

dun

I am a Little confused? Above I quoted his website as saying it did not mater what breed or Color Nolan Ryan cattle were.

They just have to meet certain carcass qualities much like the CAB program. But the Nolan Ryan Cattle do not have to be Black like the CAB cattle do.

His also have to meet some rules like I mentioned regarding hormones and Antibiotics that I do not think the CAB has to, but then I am not familiar with CAB rules.

aplusmnt":1mlcyxed said:
dun":1mlcyxed said:
aplusmnt":1mlcyxed said:

dun

I am a Little confused? Above I quoted his website as saying it did not mater what breed or Color Nolan Ryan cattle were.

They just have to meet certain carcass qualities much like the CAB program. But the Nolan Ryan Cattle do not have to be Black like the CAB cattle do.

His also have to meet some rules like I mentioned regarding hormones and Antibiotics that I do not think the CAB has to, but then I am not familiar with CAB rules.

The advertisement that was being quoted said " Hills Cafe in Austin... are now serving 100% certified Nolan Ryan registered Black Angus beef." Maybe nolan ryan has more then one certified program, or maybe the Hills Cafe is just playing with advertising that may not be 100% legit. I didn;t hear the ad so I can only go by what was in the original post

dun

dun":3souihat said:
aplusmnt":3souihat said:
dun":3souihat said:
aplusmnt":3souihat said:

dun

The advertisement that was being quoted said " Hills Cafe in Austin... are now serving 100% certified Nolan Ryan registered Black Angus beef." Maybe nolan ryan has more then one certified program, or maybe the Hills Cafe is just playing with advertising that may not be 100% legit. I didn;t hear the ad so I can only go by what was in the original post

dun

Ok I understand now, That was why I posted the quote from him on his website about not caring what color or breed it was. Somewhere someone must have got the ad wrong either on the talking or hearing end. Unless his Website quote is wrong.

His selling point seems to be that it is Natural, Tender, Aged and lean meeting specific marbling and quality.

Also said all beef is not raised by him but by Private Ranches following his guidelines.

If I am going to pay big bucks for a Nolan Ryan Steak I want to know he raised and fed it himself, and it come with a signed ball or picture. :lol:

aplusmnt":t2kgq9u6 said:
Ok I understand now, That was why I posted the quote from him on his website about not caring what color or breed it was. Somewhere someone must have got the ad wrong either on the talking or hearing end. Unless his Website quote is wrong.

His selling point seems to be that it is Natural, Tender, Aged and lean meeting specific marbling and quality.

Also said all beef is not raised by him but by Private Ranches following his guidelines.

If I am going to pay big bucks for a Nolan Ryan Steak I want to know he raised and fed it himself, and it come with a signed ball or picture. :lol:

I looked at Hills Cafes website and all it says is that they have partnered with Nolan Ryan beef, doesn;t say anything about registered black angus.

dun

I wonder if he will start putting an autographed baseball card in with a package of his beef much like the old days when you use to get gum with them :lol:

I don't know where the Black Angus lines came from, but most all of Nolan Ryan beef is Beefmaster.

JD

jack.diamond":391ojtpj said:
I don't know where the Black Angus lines came from, but most all of Nolan Ryan beef is Beefmaster.

JD
He runs a mixed herd down on the McMullan county county place.Z

Nolan's into everything. He's advertising foudation repair and Advil. Like he doesn't have more money than his heirs can ever spend?

Latest posts