Hoover Dam laid to rest

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCB said:
I'd have to agree Hoover Dams best progeny have been his daughters. They had 600 some straws left when I talked to Landi the other day.
Seems like on a lot of bulls that go to stud lately have sons with better numbers to push you to buy the son vs sire.
I honestly look at the dam of most bulls when I make my choices. Like Y69 and 4136 etc if dams like those are producing multiple studs I go to that cow and find the son that fits my herd. Might be a backwards way of doing it but the dam is more important to me.

That's a great way to breed. That's what we've been doing also. (4136, 714 , Y69, 0075, 8809,etc)

Right or wrong I'm going to breed a large quantity to Hoover dam this fall and spring. Both heifers and cows. A bull that I think is going to have similar calves is connealy united 1116. They are moderate, thick, and have beautiful udders. If he was with a better known company, I fully think he would see pretty heavy use. I love the calves out of him, but I have to be careful with too much 7229 influence.

T & B farms said:
Right or wrong I'm going to breed a large quantity to Hoover dam this fall and spring. Both heifers and cows. A bull that I think is going to have similar calves is connealy united 1116. They are moderate, thick, and have beautiful udders. If he was with a better known company, I fully think he would see pretty heavy use. I love the calves out of him, but I have to be careful with too much 7229 influence.

Nice! United has always looked pretty nice.

We don't have much if any 7229 so we flushed our best cow and bred to U-2 Coalition (Beef 360). He's a Grandson of 7229 with excellent feet and maternal qualities while still having good performance. His progeny have been really good in Canada and at Spickler Ranch.

U-2 Coalition EPD's
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAAPcnxkSYuQvPmJB%2byjNpE9xEq2StzuBGNTXyJnoPp1wk&time=LgAAAMYb74yKpSpI4UKvCMO8WTrUEkWLrK6MsFKzzA0DiYnQtDlqmbneR%2bTg6XBynRg5EQ%3d%3d

LCBulls said:
T & B farms said:

Nice! United has always looked pretty nice.

We don't have much if any 7229 so we flushed our best cow and bred to U-2 Coalition (Beef 360). He's a Grandson of 7229 with excellent feet and maternal qualities while still having good performance. His progeny have been really good in Canada and at Spickler Ranch.

I do worry quite a bit about 7229 feet. I've heard from several different sources that he can throw some less than desirable feet. I personally haven't noticed any issues yet, but the bulk of my cow herd is young. I've only been playing the Ai game for about 5 years now.

************* said:
Once I have SAV America 8018 daughters ready to breed in 2021, Hoover Dam will be used first. I intend on doing IVF with Trans Ova and getting a decent-sized group of heifers from this combination. Females only, using reverse-sorted semen. I think they will be something pretty special.

What's your reason for using Dam on specifically those cattle?

CreekAngus said:
************* said:
Once I have SAV America 8018 daughters ready to breed in 2021, Hoover Dam will be used first. I intend on doing IVF with Trans Ova and getting a decent-sized group of heifers from this combination. Females only, using reverse-sorted semen. I think they will be something pretty special.

I really like what I see out of Hoover Dam daughters, their phenotype, EPD's, feet, udders, etc, and docility. I equally like what I see from President daughters. Since America was sired by President and his dam is Madame Pride 0075, and his granddam is Blackcap May 4136, he too has two of the greatest cows that ever lived in his bloodline.

By taking the superb female producing qualities of Hoover Dam, and adding in the superior cow families of Madame Pride and Blackcap May, I'm extending traits that I highly desire in my females. I can't speak for others, but it's what I'm looking for.

By using Trans Ova, I can implement IVF on my best America daughter, which I will have plenty to choose from since I plan on breeding at least 25-30 if not more in the upcoming months. I will take the best America daughter from the group and get the embryos and let Trans Ova create nothing but females for me, because that is really all that I'm after with this plan.

Once those females are on the ground, we find the best, and rinse and repeat with another top sire to breed them too that will transmit a superior cow family. I'm thinking the logical choice would be Sandpoint Blackbird 8809 via VAR Power Play 7018. Again sexed. Again more females.

This is a multi year project, but I have discipline and I'm very determined and patient to make it happen. It will happen.

Excellent cows are the name of the game.

************* said:
CreekAngus said:
************* said:

I really like what I see out of Hoover Dam daughters, their phenotype, EPD's, feet, udders, etc, and docility. I equally like what I see from President daughters. Since America was sired by President and his dam is Madame Pride 0075, and his granddam is Blackcap May 4136, he too has two of the greatest cows that ever lived in his bloodline.

By taking the superb female producing qualities of Hoover Dam, and adding in the superior cow families of Madame Pride and Blackcap May, I'm extending traits that I highly desire in my females. I can't speak for others, but it's what I'm looking for.

By using Trans Ova, I can implement IVF on my best America daughter, which I will have plenty to choose from since I plan on breeding at least 25-30 if not more in the upcoming months. I will take the best America daughter from the group and get the embryos and let Trans Ova create nothing but females for me, because that is really all that I'm after with this plan.

Once those females are on the ground, we find the best, and rinse and repeat with another top sire to breed them too that will transmit a superior cow family. I'm thinking the logical choice would be Sandpoint Blackbird 8809 via VAR Power Play 7018. Again sexed. Again more females.

This is a multi year project, but I have discipline and I'm very determined and patient to make it happen. It will happen.

Excellent cows are the name of the game.
Might I suggest, if you're looking for like kind cattle, take a gander at Brooking Bank Note, check out his dam, she looks like she's one of the SAV dams. I'm not knocking Dam, I honestly have never seen any progeny out of him.

I have a about to be 6 mo heifer out of Hoover Dam and she is a looker! At 3.5 months was 485! And nice conformity front to rear. I was so very happy with the fact she was a heifer!... as I am just starting out in the cattle business... I have three yearlings and she is not very far from them at all!

I have a about to be 6 mo heifer out of Hoover Dam and she is a looker! At 3.5 months was 485! And nice conformity front to rear. I was so very happy with the fact she was a heifer!... as I am just starting out in the cattle business... I have three yearlings and she is not very far from them at all!

Latest posts