Hoover Dam laid to rest

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the best cow makers in past decade. Best son is S S Niagara at Select. Combines Hoover dam and 454.

This was really sad news. TT brought it to my attention while I was heading back from Texas this week, and I immediately called my ABS rep who will delivering more Hoover Dam to me next week.

We don't really know how much we miss something until it is gone. The reason I say this is because our Doberman who was a family member to us, and a irreplaceable friend to me died suddenly a day or two before Hoover Dam. He was almost the same age as Hoover Dam.

We have special things in store for Hans, our Doberman, GOD WILLING, and I really mean GOD WILLING! We have him at ViaGen right now, they are owned by Trans Ova. Unbelievable story to follow if his cells can do their thing in the next few days. I've handed it all over to God at this point.

As for Hoover Dam, I have some big things in store for him. He's part of the master plan out here at Branded. I always knew he was an INCREDIBLE sire and mentioned that fact frequently. As far as I'm concerned, both Hoover Dam and Hans are still around, and the show is just getting started. I will be using ViaGen for Hans and Trans Ova for Hoover Dam. You guys will love the projects ahead.

By the way, I want to thank BR and TT for sticking with my wife and I in spirit and via text for a brutal round trip from Kentucky to Cedar Park, Texas and back to Kentucky with only refueling stops. Both of you guys were highly supportive and were the very definition of what friends should represent.

TT even made sure that I didn't freak out when faced with the prospect of our cattle having to survive on grass for a few days. LOL! I joke!

Thank you again Creek for your kind words as well.

Now go get yourself Hoover Dam semen, he's money in the bank in more ways that one.

I never used Hoover Dam, just got back in the biz and he wasn't on my radar. Actually, I think I under appreciated him. Saw his sales stats from Origen today and they were incredible. He was a generational bull who crossed over into the commercial sector as well and a bull who was not surpassed by any of his progeny. Many of our current "popular" bulls are being replaced by their own progeny, not the case for Dam, which makes him a great one.

CreekAngus said:
I never used Hoover Dam, just got back in the biz and he wasn't on my radar. Actually, I think I under appreciated him. Saw his sales stats from Origen today and they were incredible. He was a generational bull who crossed over into the commercial sector as well and a bull who was not surpassed by any of his progeny. Many of our current "popular" bulls are being replaced by their own progeny, not the case for Dam, which makes him a great one.

I believe that if a bull is that good and has that many sons then there should be multiple Sons as good or better than him.
That's why I asked the question. It's like saying that he doesn't produce high quality calves. I personally think that's a weakness, not a strength. The ones that are producing better sons are the ones to use in my opinion.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hard to argue that logic.

He was still a dandy.

Yeah, I'm not saying I wouldn't use him. I think he's probably really good. We don't have much Hoover Dam influence. Almost pulled the trigger on some SS Niagara before.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hard to argue that logic.

He was still a dandy.

You don't use Hoover Dam for sons, as much as you use him for DAUGHTERS. That's the cream on the top.

He's a daughter maker if there ever was one.

We are a terminal, commercial cow calf operation. We AI'd him last year and i picked up 50 straws that will work next spring. We retain all our heifers and whatever we don't keep for replacements, we sell bred. The reason we used him was to improve our females. His sire, CC&7 was a historic cow maker as well. Given his epd's overall are a bit more center of the fairway, I don't think anyone in our business would use him for his sons.

There have been several criticisms of the AAA and EPDs not properly promoting "maternal" traits. So, if HD is a female maker why wouldn't his sons be good options? Is there a specific fault of the male progeny or is it a negative perception based on EPDs?

As commercial operation we steer our bull calves, but I think his male progeny are great. Look great phenotypically and taste great off the skillet.

We used one of his sons from Poss Angus and have found him incredible. Hoover Dam 2509 #17416944

Small amount of progeny but he's already made a heck of an impact on the Poss herd. He'll have 2 more genomics from us this year. We hate that we didn't use him more last year. Our girls are beautiful.

I think Hoover Dam is an anomaly in regard to sons... One that people go back to over and over because you know exactly what you're going to get. I got my semen yesterday. Hubby wasn't even mad. :)

LCBulls said:
CreekAngus said:

I believe that if a bull is that good and has that many sons then there should be multiple Sons as good or better than him.
That's why I asked the question. It's like saying that he doesn't produce high quality calves. I personally think that's a weakness, not a strength. The ones that are producing better sons are the ones to use in my opinion.
Name the sons of New Design 208, New Day, Final Answer, 004, Hoover Dam who have exceeded them? I always hear or read,"whose the best on of so and so?". I always wonder, why not just use so and so. To me a generational bull is one who isn't surpassed by his progeny, because he is far superior to his sons. But I do understand where you are coming from.

CreekAngus said:
LCBulls said:
CreekAngus said:

Name the sons of New Design 208, New Day, Final Answer, 004, Hoover Dam who have exceeded them? I always hear or read,"whose the best on of so and so?". I always wonder, why not just use so and so. To me a generational bull is one who isn't surpassed by his progeny, because he is far superior to his sons. But I do understand where you are coming from.

I hear what your saying. But as far as Final Answer is concerned, he has an unlimited amount

Connealy Capitalist
SAV Pioneer
Connealy Right Answer
SAV Thunderbird
Sandpoint Butkus

I believe new design 208 is the sire of Connealy Confidence.

I'm sure that Hoover Dam produces good females. Just surprised there's not more Sons out there at Stud

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Nothing wrong with a cow maker.

I agree, we've mostly been breeding to Cow-maker type Bulls.
It is true though that most studs are buying the
more performance oriented ones. Maybe that's why there's not many HD sons at studs. I'd still like to incorporate him or a son into our genetics.

LC Bulls: I don't think we are on the same page. You listed sons of Final Answer, but not a single one of them had the usage or influence of their sire and that's where I was going. Who do you consider is a generational bull?

I'd have to agree Hoover Dams best progeny have been his daughters. They had 600 some straws left when I talked to Landi the other day.
Seems like on a lot of bulls that go to stud lately have sons with better numbers to push you to buy the son vs sire.
I honestly look at the dam of most bulls when I make my choices. Like Y69 and 4136 etc if dams like those are producing multiple studs I go to that cow and find the son that fits my herd. Might be a backwards way of doing it but the dam is more important to me.

Once I have SAV America 8018 daughters ready to breed in 2021, Hoover Dam will be used first. I intend on doing IVF with Trans Ova and getting a decent-sized group of heifers from this combination. Females only, using reverse-sorted semen. I think they will be something pretty special.

CreekAngus said:
LC Bulls: I don't think we are on the same page. You listed sons of Final Answer, but not a single one of them had the usage or influence of their sire and that's where I was going. Who do you consider is a generational bull?

Yeah, I get what you mean. Will be tough for a Final Answer son to sale 500,000 straws like the old man did. Right Answer and Capitalist 028 sold quite a few though.

We really liked our Thunderbirds. Might have to try Niagara. I think we backed out because Of initial PAP EPD.