Hoosier Daddy

Help Support CattleToday:

gertfan

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the gert bull Hoosier Daddy? He is a dandy!
We are planning to AI to him for our son's 3 gert heifers next year.
Right now we have them AI'd to Yogi, Top Gun, and Patriot. They will start calving in early Feb.
We can't wait to see the calves.
I'm just glad that we only have the 3 to AI, I find it a pain in the butt!

I was actually just looking at him in the November issue of Santa Gertrudis USA. Hes a nice bull, looks like the complete package, if he can throw consistent with his traits he should throw some good calves.

When did you get the magazine? We're still waiting for ours. I was in Tulsa, but left before the bull show, so didn't see him in the showring.

I think we got our magazine probably about two weeks ago. DHF Hoosier Daddy 74/3 is on the cover and theres a two page ad on him on 26 and 27.

gertfan":16u7qlpt said:
Has anyone seen the gert bull Hoosier Daddy? He is a dandy!
We are planning to AI to him for our son's 3 gert heifers next year.
Right now we have them AI'd to Yogi, Top Gun, and Patriot. They will start calving in early Feb.
We can't wait to see the calves.
I'm just glad that we only have the 3 to AI, I find it a pain in the butt!

I like the picture of Hossier Daddy. Hope that he breeds as well as he looks. His sire, DHF Missle has done a good job.

I really like the Yogi bull. Got my first Yogi baby on the ground about 3 weeks ago. Calf is really growing. Hope yours does as well as what I have. I like Patriot daughters, although you have to watch breeding him to heavy fronted cattle.

Sometimes I don't get my Gert magazine until very late. I think they hold it at customs sometimes just for fun. :x

I can't speak for Yogi or Patriot, but we've had two nice calves out of Top Gun, who are now yearlings: our bull calf turned out tremendously clean and will be our next herd sire; the heifer is coming along nicely too. More should be on the way, but our AIs have had about a 50% conception rate. Top Gun and Tar Hustler 269/8 (Hustler 920xTT22/3) are the bulls we've AIed most to for our upcoming calves.

The Hustler 920 X TT 22 cross produced many outstanding and useful cattle. That mating was one you dream about when considering an embryo transfer venture. So many offspring that made contributions.

A bull thats coming up is Sombrero 394. We got one bred to him and hopefully two more by March. The offspring from him that I've seen are picture perfect in my eyes.

I was in Ft. Worth too, but again left before the bull show. It's not that I have anything against the bull shows, it was just the time of my flights. I would be interested to see how his calves turn out though, I have not seen any yet.
We acquired a lot of semen this past year, but not too much from recent bulls (with the exception of Top Gun). We bought semen from:
Macho 2419/7; Mr. Bull 174/1; Jomar 54/8; Alamo 574/91; and then got a bunch of Hoss 800, Megahoss 436, Strut 1-55, and a little bit of Strut's Stemwinder 7/6, Big John 24/5, Trip 777/0, and a couple others from Richard Hood. Since we just got it, haven't used much yet. Have a Mr. Bull calf on the way for Jan., and we AI'd one to Megahoss, though not sure it took.
We have mostly polled cattle but tend to breed back to horned bulls. We have a polled Geronimo son we use for clean-up, though once our Top Gun son matures a bit more, he'll take over most of the clean-up work.

Hoosier Daddy is really going to have an impact on the breed. He is the complete package. I don't have any semen on him yet, but my donor cow has calves to Missle, which those are real good, and I may have to play with Hoosier Daddy in the near future.
I just AI'd to Ricardo, Navidad's 519, M&M Fred 5-0, and Kodiak on Sunday. Hopefully they stick and we get some great ones from this. (One bred to Ricardo is an All-Star daughter)!

it's nice to hear from fellow gert breeders. Here in Indiana there just arent' too many.
Anyone who is interested in Hoosier Daddy can contact Chris Hunt of Diamond H farms, he's a hell of a nice guy.
[email protected]

He has given us alot of advice.

Some day perhaps the Canadian Gov will drop the anaplasmosis and blue tongue restrictions and I will be able to import some wonderful Gert semen. My favorite bull from all time that I admired from a distance has been NAF's Nineteen. I don't think he was ever a show winner but displays the full deep body, low head carriage and muscle mass that remind me of the old time gerts who were so solid and heavy. You probably have to look through some old gert Magazines to see a picture of him. I find the show winners a wee bit leggy for my tastes.

You would have loved the old bulls from San Jose Cattle Company. May have been a little shaethy for Canada, but deep, soggy, big boned and full of meat.

All you Gert guys, shoot some advice this way. I have some Gert cross momma's and they have really good Charolais calves. Now, the market is supposed to be in a downward slide for the next so many years. Do I switch to a Gert bull and start keeping relacements to go on my Charolais bulls? I was looking at Beefmaster, but they seem to be really expensive. Bred to commercial cattle, am I going to get some good replacements? I know the Gert crosses and the Beef crosses I have produce the best set of calves consistently.

How much Gert influence do you want in your cow herd. If you take your Gert X cows and breed them back to a Santa Gertrudis you will get 3/4 or more Santa Gertrudis heifers and steers. The heifers would cross excellently with the Charolais, BUT your 3/4 steers would recieve some discount.

May I suggest breeding to a Red Angus or Hereford to save your replacements. Those two breeds really cross well with Gerts. After you have saved some of their heifers, it will be time to go back and use a Gert or Beefmaster to keep some southern hybrid vigor in the cow herd.

Latest posts